Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Default 630 CHED Gun Poll Vote Now

CHED is doing a poll on handgun ban

http://www.630ched.com/station/corus_qod_poll.cfm
Old 01-21-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Not cool

come on boys, vote no on this thing. It is 64% of ppl so far have voted for banning handguns. Not cool.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

What you want a handgun for , ta rob banks.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Mines in not looking good shes at 66% yes... Kind of scary boys and gals...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 AM

67% now, not looking good....
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM

I just tried skewing their results by, deleting my cookies and voting multiple times (6) no change in the numbers.
Very strange indeed.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 AM

68% now
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Personally, I don't see any need for handguns (and I've owned a few) and wouldn't mind much if they didn't exist.

Of course the argument will be that then rifles will be next...

Maybe some brilliant politician will put forward a bill to ban illegal activities. There, problem solved.

Unfortunately frantic public reaction will lead to consequences (remember Mark Lepine?)

As everyone knows, baning one of the most tightly restricted things in society isn't going to get it out of the hands of criminals and whackjobs. But they will try. Humans aren't all that smart on the whole.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM

even if you don't personally desire to own a handgun, do you feel that all people should be prohibited from owning handguns..to me that is the real question. i am sure many people on here and elsewhere that hunt and own rifles do not own handguns..or want to. but they still support the privelage (as it stands now) that others have of owning them for their own recreation.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM

I voted no.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Dont take them away from the good guys!!!!!! Go get the bad guy!!!! I love shooting targets at the range and i'm not giving it up for anyone cause some a@#hole shoots someone over a drug deal gone bad... There just doing the world a favor by killing one another so my kids wont have to deal with them...Its the good people that pay for the bad people...SO SAD..

VOTE NO!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
even if you don't personally desire to own a handgun, do you feel that all people should be prohibited from owning handguns..to me that is the real question. i am sure many people on here and elsewhere that hunt and own rifles do not own handguns..or want to. but they still support the privelage (as it stands now) that others have of owning them for their own recreation.
No, I don't think all people should be prohibited from owning one.

It is going to be a hard sell though. Those who will ban them aren't going to think too much about it. Like I said, if someone put in a law that banned illegal activities it would probably get votes from alot of people.

Most people's "world" is not very big.
Banned

Well I don't own one never did probably never will and I personally have no use for one at this time but that certainly doesn't mean that I would want them taken away from responsible gun owners that do enjoy using them...

Now if there weren't so many restrictions on them and we could enjoy them more freely like a rifle I could see myself wanting a few...

And Bud,, its only in your mind and the mind of the unstable that they are for robbing banks.. Many see them as hunting tools and fine works of craftsmanship and just plain old fun to shoot...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfast View Post
There just doing the world a favor by killing one another so my kids wont have to deal with them...
If only we would allow evolution to actually work eh?

Problem is when your kids walk down the same street where the shootout takes place.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I voted 'no', of course. I don't own a hangun but a .22 revolver for plinking does interest me. I wish they we legal to carry in the bush. It would be great to have a powerful revolver when walking to/from my bearstand when I'm archery hunting.

I heard Stockwell state a few days ago, when asked by Mayor Miller to ban handguns, that of the 106 hangun homicides last yr 102 were committed with illegal handguns anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM

voted no here. of course
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Dave

banning handguns will do nothing will just create another blackmarket when the goverment starts making the laws more tuffer for people who break them using any type of weapon (knife golf club baseball bat everything is a weapon in the wrong hands) just my thought voted no
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 AM

BTW I voted no too. Banning does nothing to solve the problem.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Well I don't own one never did probably never will and I personally have no use for one at this time but that certainly doesn't mean that I would want them taken away from responsible gun owners that do enjoy using them...

Now if there weren't so many restrictions on them and we could enjoy them more freely like a rifle I could see myself wanting a few...

And Bud,, its only in your mind and the mind of the unstable that they are for robbing banks.. Many see them as hunting tools and fine works of craftsmanship and just plain old fun to shoot...
X2 Walleyes
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Personally, I don't see any need for handguns (and I've owned a few) and wouldn't mind much if they didn't exist.

Of course the argument will be that then rifles will be next...

Maybe some brilliant politician will put forward a bill to ban illegal activities. There, problem solved.

Unfortunately frantic public reaction will lead to consequences (remember Mark Lepine?)

As everyone knows, baning one of the most tightly restricted things in society isn't going to get it out of the hands of criminals and whackjobs. But they will try. Humans aren't all that smart on the whole.
Well they do exist and taking them away from Law Abiding citizens is not going to solve any problems.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM

A good example from the land down under.

One year after gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, including semi-automatic .22 rifles and shotguns, to be destroyed in a government program costing over 500 million dollars, the results are in...

The latest crime statistics reveal a dramatic increase in criminal activity. Gun control advocates respond "Just wait... we'll be safer... you'll see...".

Unfortunately, the ban has made the Australian criminal safer now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBSERVABLE FACT AFTER 12 MONTHS OF DATA

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2%.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6%.

Australia-wide, armed-robberies are up 44%. (yes, FORTY-FOUR PERCENT)

In the state of Victoria, homicides-with-firearms are up 300%!

The steady decrease in homicides-with-firearms that occurred during the previous 25 years became an increase in the last 12 months.

The steady decrease in armed-robbery-with-firearms that occurred during the previous 25 years became an increase in the last 12 months.

There has been a dramatic increase in breakins-and-assaults-of-the-elderly.

At the time of the ban, the Prime Minister said "self-defense is not a reason for owning a firearm".

From 1910 to present, homicides in Australia have averaged about 1.8-per-100,000 or lower, a safe society by any standard.

The ban has destroyed Australia's standings in some international sport shooting competitions.

The membership of the Australian Sports Shooting Association has increased by 200% in response to the ban and in an attempt to organize against further controls, which are expected.

Australian politicians are on the spot and at a loss to explain why no improvement in "safety" has been observed after such monumental effort and expense was successfully expended in "ridding society of guns". Their response has been to "wait longer".
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Heard on the radio the other day that there were 108 murders involving handguns of those 102 were done with unregistered handguns.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM

If the gov wants to ban hand guns then that should also included all law inforcement agencies too, Right??? !!!!!!! Because Canada would be a safer place right?????? Some how I don't think that would ever be a consideration. So why should we have to give up ours????? EEEEERRRRRRR it makes me mad when these ppl actually think that banning them would help anything!!!!
Anyways I will stop at that.
Rust
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM

soon i may not be able to own a handgun that i bought with my own money because it is dangerous...yet my tax dollars may soon go towards "safe" houses for junkies to go to and shoot up drugs so they can be safe while high and a drain on society.......yup..makes sense to me.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Unhappy Handguns

The whole issue is not about handguns, it is about our freedom versus government control. Our ignorance in defending our rights will cause a Marxist type system to be installed on us in this country. People don’t get involved in preserving our rights and freedoms because,…. is not so.. ..bad , yet .
Please , vote NO.
If we don’t get involved , one day we won’t be able to vote at all. We will be told what we can do , the rest will be prohibited.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

After yoyu vote, go and read Bob Layton's Blog. If you look at the opinions on the respoce to the question there, they are about 90% against a handgun ban.

Robin in Rocky

I'll give them my handguns only after I give them the bullets.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Default Also

Voted NO I don't own any Hand guns but am getting tired of being told what to do.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeseward View Post
Voted NO I don't own any Hand guns but am getting tired of being told what to do.
Ditto. "No" is at 42%
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM

I bet you all the boyz at CGN and Gunslingers have been going to town voting on this poll.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM

I dont own a hand gun but if i wanted to I should be able to. Arm the entire country gang bangers may think twice before shooting up the streets.