Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 PM

Can this thing honestly be stopped, once the ball has started rolling? And wtf were these organizations that endorsed this thing thinking. Not hard to figure why APOS would endorse this stuff, but what about the rest. And without trying to start a big argument, I'm thinking that maybe the First Nations, as well as the MNA may be of some help to get this crap shut down. Just my 2 cents.............
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Mr. Magoo

Default Hearing the bells.

A few have been ringing the bells for a while now and it would appear that more and more are starting to hear them.

Jaime - glad you have seen the light. Get the word out to all your hunting contacts. As for who best to contact - that would be one way to go.

Lurch and others - I see merit in your approach(es), hit 'em all. All the folks on the list plus your MLA, plus the opposition, and don't neglect the premier.

Native and Metis groups as allies - perhaps. I know one huge Metis supporter who will be attacking this thing in the local paper with a letter.

Last post - can this thing be stopped? Man I hope so, but we have to get active. Get the word out. Bi*ch like crazy to anyone who will listen.

Regards,
Magoo
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Mr. Magoo

[QUOTE=outlaw'd;96061] And wtf were these organizations that endorsed this thing thinking. Not hard to figure why APOS would endorse this stuff, but what about the rest. QUOTE]

If you read the link Lurch put up it indicates that Dr. C. Gates was in on an initiative that tried to get something very similar going around Cypress hills. That one didn't get too far since some on the committee immediately opposed any notion of paid hunting. I think that the good Doctor just got a lot better at stacking his committees.
I have heard that APOS is divided.
I think now that the biggest lobby in favour is cattle guys. IF this is the case (big if) that will be a hard group to oppose because they are: big, well connected, are suffering from the one-two punch of BSE followed closely by the record level Canuk buck.
As stated in the protest document that hit this forum and was in paper form at Willow Valley today the 'endorsement' of FGA is something of a sham. When the membership starts to find out what is going on they will (are) demand their reps vigorously oppose this whole abomination.

Regards,
Magoo
Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Native and Metis groups as allies - perhaps.
Put me in the Allies catagory and I'm bending every ear I can along with multitudes of e-mails and phone calls.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:35 AM
SNIPER

Boy, how the tables have turned. The "hated" have just become the allies
Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

The Metis thing was never about HATE for me.

It was all about what I deemed as right.
Though Bruce and I may differ greatly on that issue.. Can you say North and South poles. I respect what Bruce has done, and I respect Bruce as a person. And yes I knew Bruce before all this came out.
On this issue we are marching side by side.
You on board yet?

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Mr. Magoo

Default politics

I don't know who said it, but truer words may never have been spoken; politics makes strange bedfellows.
It does illustrate what many have said on a hundred different issues on this forum, that we find ways to divide ourselves and are often our own worst enemies. This issue has the potential to galvanize sportspeople (remember that "Open Spaces" addresses all recreational use and specifically mentions angling) against a common threat.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 AM
SNIPER

Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 AM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
The Metis thing was never about HATE for me.

It was all about what I deemed as right.
Though Bruce and I may differ greatly on that issue.. Can you say North and South poles. I respect what Bruce has done, and I respect Bruce as a person. And yes I knew Bruce before all this came out.
On this issue we are marching side by side.
You on board yet?

Jamie
Jamie, this is SNIPER, I was the one to make the comment about allies.And you were not the one to make a comment about metis/natives becoming allies.
There is an emoticon after my statement, they mean something.
And as for your last comment "You on board yet?" What a question coming from the most recent (slowest) person to get on board. Read through all the posts, and you will see where I stand.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know who said it, but truer words may never have been spoken; politics makes strange bedfellows.
As close as we all have to be on this issue at hand we should all be on a first name bases with each other's next of kin.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Jamie, this is SNIPER, I was the one to make the comment about allies.And you were not the one to make a comment about metis/natives becoming allies.
There is an emoticon after my statement, they mean something.
And as for your last comment "You on board yet?" What a question coming from the most recent (slowest) person to get on board. Read through all the posts, and you will see where I stand.
Guido, 700, Sniper.. It doesn't matter.
You read to much into my message and perhaps I should have but a smiley face after. By on board, I giving you a chance to step up and say just how many letters you have wrote. I assumed you had and was thinking it would be great to see just how many letters you have sent out.
Nothing bad was meant.

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Is it a contest Jamie? Are you holding the prize money?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 PM
340wtby

Quote:
Guido, 700, Sniper.. It doesn't matter.
You read to much into my message and perhaps I should have but a smiley face after. By on board, I giving you a chance to step up and say just how many letters you have wrote. I assumed you had and was thinking it would be great to see just how many letters you have sent out.
Nothing bad was meant.

Jamie
Sniper has been against this since the begining... you remember the begining right, when you were telling us that we are all crazy.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

Vin.. Nahhhh.. Nothing like that. The more we talk about this the more letters that will get sent and the better off we all will be.

I am just putting the final touches on mine.

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
Sniper has been against this since the begining... you remember the begining right, when you were telling us that we are all crazy.
340. I actually took the time to go back over the posts I have made in the past in regards to this. I did not call anyone crazy, nor was I overly for this or against it. In principle I was for a new idea.

And let me tell you this. This program started off as something that would benefit everyone. The intentions were great. How ever the close to final project came out as a monster. SO yah.. at first I was thinking it could be a good new idea. After someone got there hands on it, it turned totally different.
Don't be surprised to hear that story at a later date coming from more than one organization.

It just goes to show that the road to Hell is indeed paved with good intentions.

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM
340wtby

Quote:
340. I actually took the time to go back over the posts I have made in the past in regards to this. I did not call anyone crazy, nor was I overly for this or against it. In principle I was for a new idea.

And let me tell you this. This program started off as something that would benefit everyone. The intentions were great. How ever the close to final project came out as a monster. SO yah.. at first I was thinking it could be a good new idea. After someone got there hands on it, it turned totally different.
Don't be surprised to hear that story at a later date coming from more than one organization.

It just goes to show that the road to Hell is indeed paved with good intentions.

Jamie

when lurch started the original thread 3 weeks ago, it had already took a turn for the worse. It didn't happen two days ago.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Lets get this back on track to what matters and forget who said what.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-13-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:50 PM

The info brochure at the Willow Valley horn scoring day should have gathered some attention.

Any other upcoming events in the province the info brochure can be used at as well?

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-13-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
340wtby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Lets get this back on track to what matters and forget who said what.
you're right we are allfighting the good fight.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

I was including that.
Dont make assumptions, take the time to go back and read.

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

If we need access to any sort of office equipment, please feel free to get in touch with me.
I have access to many phones, High end copiers and a graphic designer if needed.

Jamie
Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Mr. Magoo

Default Copies of the protest document that appeared at Willow Valley show

Thanks for offering up some office equipment. The document is in cyberspace now and I am sure everyone wants it out in the world. I have a clean copy on word that can be printed without formatting problems. If you want a cyber copy you can piece it together from the Open Spaces thread in the hunting discussion pages. If you need a copy to print drop me a PM and I will send it to you.
BTW: A printing company in Southern Alberta was good enough to make the original thousand copies for the Willow Valley show at no charge. No surprise the company's owner was a like-minded hunter who could see where this abortion was heading.

Regards,
Magoo
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM
lurch

Last edited by lurch; 01-22-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Jamie,

Maybe your office and graphic designer could rip something together to be placed in newspapers in Calgary & Edmonton? No better way to get the information out than the media....
I completely agree here.

A piece in the newspapers of the major cities would be the single best way to get this info out to the public.

Obviously a large article by someone opposed would be the best, an article that deals not only with hunting, but with access for recreation, wildlife habitat etc... I'm not a writer by any stretch, but it seems to me like it would be a pretty good piece.

Even a paid advertisement would be better than nothing. What does a full page ad in the Herald cost?

The more people are aware of this, the more people there will be who will strongly oppose it. We need the strength of numbers right now. This issue has to come out publicly in order for all the letters we're writing to MLAs to be taken seriously. They have to believe that this will be an important issue in the election and affect how people will vote. I think it has that potential, as the Conservatives are going to be heavily relying in the rural vote in this election with Calgary and Edmonton potentially not going their way.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts...

Waxy
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM

I said that I wasn't going to weigh in on this issue for personal reasons. I've changed my mind.

People and groups need to be held accountable on this issue, and the first one needing to do some explaining is the AFGA. In my eyes, and as a paying member, they blew it. I'd like to know why Brad Fenson, a paid employee of the AFGA, represented me at the table, and I'd like to know it sooner than later. I'd also like them to pony up with some funds to fight this initiative.

I'm also extremely disapointed by members of the hunting/shooting writing community here in the province. People of some influence here (in Alberta). I will no longer purchase or subscribe to anything three of these individuals write in or edit. This money is obviously better spent elsewhere. I would hope others here consider doing the same thing.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
lurch

Last edited by lurch; 01-22-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Info received

Thanks

Last edited by MathewsArcher; 01-14-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM

I am extremely disappointed in AFGA as well after a couple of e-mails and a phone call I have yet to hear a response, or get a call back..........Why?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM

I have lurked on this sight for many months and have avoided joining just because of all the fighting between people and the unbelieveable lack of focus and some of the incredible attempts to actually personally injure other members. Honestly most of it makes me sick. But this thread finally got me to sign up because I can't be silent anymore. We finally have an issue we can all mostly agree on and an issue that threatens hunting but all many of the people here can do is try to find someone else to blame and to pick at members.

Does anyone here know where Open Spaces started? It started with the goverment and where do you think it will die but we've got all kinds of people on here picking on the Fish and Game and we've got others slandering people personally and I think the average person on here likely forgot what the original issue was. That seems to happen every time here. A big issue comes up and a bunch of other people use it to add fuel to their own personal little beefs. I can't believe how childish some of you are and if you want to blame someone for Open Spaces going through look in the mirror but I'm thinking that won't happen because you'll find someone else to blame or someone you want to get fired or someone you won't buy their magazines anymore.

I want a place for my kids to hunt and if they don't I'm going to hold many of you persnally responsible not Fish and Game or Alberta Conservation or Ducks Unlimited. If you've got a beef with any of these groups take it up with them and not hijack one of the most importasnt threads ever on this board. I hope your own personal little beefs where worth losing hunting over..

Okay I've said enough but I would have exploded if I didn't.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingdad View Post
I have lurked on this sight for many months and have avoided joining just because of all the fighting between people and the unbelieveable lack of focus and some of the incredible attempts to actually personally injure other members. Honestly most of it makes me sick. But this thread finally got me to sign up because I can't be silent anymore. We finally have an issue we can all mostly agree on and an issue that threatens hunting but all many of the people here can do is try to find someone else to blame and to pick at members.

Does anyone here know where Open Spaces started? It started with the goverment and where do you think it will die but we've got all kinds of people on here picking on the Fish and Game and we've got others slandering people personally and I think the average person on here likely forgot what the original issue was. That seems to happen every time here. A big issue comes up and a bunch of other people use it to add fuel to their own personal little beefs. I can't believe how childish some of you are and if you want to blame someone for Open Spaces going through look in the mirror but I'm thinking that won't happen because you'll find someone else to blame or someone you want to get fired or someone you won't buy their magazines anymore.

I want a place for my kids to hunt and if they don't I'm going to hold many of you persnally responsible not Fish and Game or Alberta Conservation or Ducks Unlimited. If you've got a beef with any of these groups take it up with them and not hijack one of the most importasnt threads ever on this board. I hope your own personal little beefs where worth losing hunting over..

Okay I've said enough but I would have exploded if I didn't.
You can cut the irony here with a knife.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Waxy