Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM

Default Muzzle brakes.

Can somebody tell where is a good place to have a muzzle brake installed in Edmonton? Thanks, have a great weekend.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:16 PM

I’m sure K&S would be the best.

I say don’t do it unless it’s a long range target rig anyway. Ear protection is a must. One shot and it’s permanent damage without protection. I have a heathen brake on my T3 sporter. It was easy as my rifle came threaded from the factory. I would never install one on a hunting rifle where you could shoot without hearing protection.

Friends don’t let friends install brakes on hunting rigs
Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned

My buddy had a brake installed this past fall, it was inexpensive and very fast turnaround time. Whoever did it did a nice job but I’m not sure if they included a thread protector. He shot a moose with the brake and no ear plugs, took three days to get his hearing back. He’s 70 so I can’t say for sure if it had permanent damage because he never had the best hearing to begin with. I warned him not to shoot a brake without hearing protection but he wouldn’t listen.

He’s back from California on Sunday, I’ll ask him where he got it done.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Banned

Might want to look at those kahntrol brakes. They are clamp on and dean2 wrote a pretty good review on them.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My buddy had a brake installed this past fall, it was inexpensive and very fast turnaround time. Whoever did it did a nice job but I’m not sure if they included a thread protector. He shot a moose with the brake and no ear plugs, took three days to get his hearing back. He’s 70 so I can’t say for sure if it had permanent damage because he never had the best hearing to begin with. I warned him not to shoot a brake without hearing protection but he wouldn’t listen.

He’s back from California on Sunday, I’ll ask him where he got it done.
Well if he blew his ear drums he ain't gonna listen anymore period !!!

On a serious note - it's stunning how much louder a rifle gets when you brake it - and hearing protection is a must.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Got a .375h&h with a brake. I always make sure I grab the muffs. I don’t want to know that ear splitting feeling that will undoubtedly result from no hearing protection. It’s bad enough at the range but it sure does take the recoil. My hearing is already damaged I need to salvage what’s left!!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 PM

I've had a brake on my .308 the last few years now . Recoil is probobly a bit less than a .243 win. And agree ear protection is a must even when hunting . My friend has a 16in barrel .223 with a brake on it . I forgot to slide my ear muffs back on . My left ear felt water clogged for hours after .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.jpg (84.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:09 PM

KS arms or EM precision, insite arms does good work as well but they are in lloyd