Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Default New flooring!

I'm looking to install new flooring in most of my house, the hardwood that came with the house has taking a beating over the years especially from the dogs. My question to you guys who may have replaced your flooring in the passed or even install flooring for a living is what is my best option for scratch resistant other than tile? I have two labradors, I'm not against tile at all just curious if there is anything else that will hold up?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Vinyl plank is what we used about 4 months ago, lab hasn’t damaged it yet and it was easy to install and is apparently really durable and long lasting. I’d recommend going to a flooring store over the big box stores, better quality product for a similar price. You can also get a few spare planks to replace any that get damaged, if I want I could replace a full plank in maybe 30 seconds.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
I'm looking to install new flooring in most of my house, the hardwood that came with the house has taking a beating over the years especially from the dogs. My question to you guys who may have replaced your flooring in the passed or even install flooring for a living is what is my best option for scratch resistant other than tile? I have two labradors, I'm not against tile at all just curious if there is anything else that will hold up?
Do you have a finished on site floor right now?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Check out Windsor Plywood,a good selection of flooring other than wood
Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Do you have a finished on site floor right now?
What do you mean by finished on site floor?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 PM

I do this for a living.
It pains me say being a wood guy but LVP seems to be a popular choice out there.
It's made of plastic to give appearance of wood. Each box will have about 6 different grain patterns between planks so each board is different.
I would leave the hardwood in and lay new over top. Elevation change by laying over top is minimal and now you can always pull out and go back to hardwood later.
Plastic is cold, hard and brittle..but tough.
Our finishes we put on wood are commercial grade and allthough the hdwd would be subject to deep groove scratches , impact dents etc... under normal conditions the finish won't wear through.
This all being said there is more than meets the eye than just laying new over old. Several items to pull it off need to be identified in order for project not to look like a homeowner special DIY.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
I do this for a living.
It pains me say being a wood guy but LVP seems to be a popular choice out there.
It's made of plastic to give appearance of wood. Each box will have about 6 different grain patterns between planks so each board is different.
I would leave the hardwood in and lay new over top. Elevation change by laying over top is minimal and now you can always pull out and go back to hardwood later.
Plastic is cold, hard and brittle..but tough.
Our finishes we put on wood are commercial grade and allthough the hdwd would be subject to deep groove scratches , impact dents etc... under normal conditions the finish won't wear through.
This all being said there is more than meets the eye than just laying new over old. Several items to pull it off need to be identified in order for project not to look like a homeowner special DIY.
I'm thinking of getting it done professionally, just looking for input on actual product. I'll also be replacing sections of carpet so I don't know of laying overtop is going to be an option. Also there is about 19 stairs to do as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 PM

We just built a house last year and had vinyl plank installed, we have a Britney pup and it's holding up great, plus water resistant. Great product.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM

I will be doing some flooring in my house and I am going with vinyl plank, I don’t have experience yet with it but a friend installed it in his house and has nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting it done professionally, just looking for input on actual product. I'll also be replacing sections of carpet so I don't know of laying overtop is going to be an option. Also there is about 19 stairs to do as well.
Best thing is get a pro in to help you decide what stays and what goes.
LVP or luxury vinyl plank is a tough option, I use Armstrong, four oaks to name a cpl. Each has different quality levels and warranties available.
Someone whom has lots of experience building stairs is very helpful. Every set I build from homes from 50's till now have there own set of challenges, some easier than others.
Your welcome to message me if your in Alberta south otherwise I suggest get a hold of a bigger flooring store that deals in LVP.
I would stay away from HD and likes only because they have a pool of installers they use with not a ton of experience, also it's a good idea to have someone look at your project who has some install experience and not just a salesperson.Job tends to run smoother and end result is always better.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 PM

I’m in the exact same process right now. So far I have LVP in my bedrooms and LVT and LVT in my bathrooms. It has been great so far and very easy to clean, durable, and does not soak up water and swell like laminate. I have kids do that was a must.

For me my floor had to be durable, waterproof, look good, and be easy to install and LVP ticked all the boxes. Be aware there is so much different brands/colours so have a good idea what you want and go from there. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
What do you mean by finished on site floor?
You said you currently have a Hardwood floor. I am curious if it is a pre finished or a finished on site product.

If it is a Finished on site floor, you can just have it sanded and refinished. It will last you forever if done right.

I believe that Eaglyflyfisher is on the right track. I go into houses that are coming up on 60 years old with Original hardwood and it still looks great. The colour isnt modern but all can be fixed.

The other awesome tip here... Get a pro.
One final tip. match your flooring to the value of your house. You cant get away with Laminate in a $800,000 if you plan to sell it. Also. Put carpet in your basement.

If selling in the next 5 years is on the radar, you will have other choices to make as well.
So many choices, I am sure you will do fine.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 PM

We ripped out the carpet and installed LVP in our upstairs loft/man cave with one bedroom and are really happy with it. Stands up to our Shepherd/Lab really well (much better than our "hardwood" pine main floor.) The price is comparable to laminate but LVP is much better in terms of acoustics and absorbing sound (laminate and tile are the worst for this).

However, the other product you may want to look into is a good quality cork flooring product. Awesome sound absorption (second only to carpet) and it also stands up very well to our dog. We did both main floor bedrooms about 6 years ago and the floors still look brand new.

In terms of weighing in all of: aesthetics, acoustics, dent/scratch resistance, and wearability - cork gets my vote.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM

New house three years ago, thinking we might get some dogs' (didn't lol), we have the exact same pattern of lvp on three floors., approx. 2400 sq ft of it. No transitions at all, it's all one big rink.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
You said you currently have a Hardwood floor. I am curious if it is a pre finished or a finished on site product.

If it is a Finished on site floor, you can just have it sanded and refinished. It will last you forever if done right.

I believe that Eaglyflyfisher is on the right track. I go into houses that are coming up on 60 years old with Original hardwood and it still looks great. The colour isnt modern but all can be fixed.

The other awesome tip here... Get a pro.
One final tip. match your flooring to the value of your house. You cant get away with Laminate in a $800,000 if you plan to sell it. Also. Put carpet in your basement.

If selling in the next 5 years is on the radar, you will have other choices to make as well.
So many choices, I am sure you will do fine.
I believe it's a pre finished generic cheap hardwood. The people who built the house had it put in. On the heavy traffic areas the edges of each board is losing its finish, also the dogs nail leave deep grooves.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe it's a pre finished generic cheap hardwood. The people who built the house had it put in. On the heavy traffic areas the edges of each board is losing its finish, also the dogs nail leave deep grooves.
If you have edges, its is a pre finished thing. Might even be a Engineered Hard wood floor. Where are you located?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 PM

I'm in edmonton
Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm in edmonton
See if Eagle is up that way. He seems to have a real handle on all this. If your going to be moving and want some help making choices that will work for your sale, get in touch. I cant help you with your sale but I have a few ideas that work.

Jamie
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Eagle said a few posts back that he was southern Alberta unfortunately!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 PM

If you're in Edmonton, go see the guys at carpet superstore (or flooring superstore, they just went thru a name change)

There's one location at Yellowhead and 149, and another on 75 st.

If you're looking for durable, go for the stuff that they distribute for XL flooring. I have 800 sf of it in my basement and it's pretty much bulletproof. Vinyl over a fibreglass core, with a ceramic finish. It's also super flexible and will help hide any small imperfections in your subfloor.

It is on the upper end cost wise, but carries a lifetime warranty for residential installations.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 AM

Give Surreal Flooring a call. Clinton or Andrew are great!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 AM

We used bamboo, 35 yr warranty, and has held up well with 2 dogs, and many kids.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input guys
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 AM
Banned

WE put hardwoods on our downstairs about 7 years ago. We have two young, very active kids, and 2 dogs.

The floors look and wear fantastically. I am not going to claim we have zero scratches, but I'd have to point them out to you, and they were from dropping a metal frame on the floor from a good height (still barely visible), and stuff like that.