Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Guess what really happens ro your recycling ?

I've known this for a while, but what a waste of money and effort people are going through to "save the Planet"

https://globalnews.ca/news/4906939/c...ustin-trudeau/

Grizz
Old 01-30-2019, 05:49 PM

Canadians throwing away more garbage
than ever, according to Statistics Canada,

------------------------------------------------
I am always amused by this hogwash where the burden is laid at
the consumers feet. Here, fixed just for you Statistics Canada,the truth:

"Industry making more garbage than ever for consumers to contend with"
Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM

Agreed, it’s a waste of time and resources. Almost all of our blue bin cart contents end up in landfill anyway.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Agreed, it’s a waste of time and resources. Almost all of our blue bin cart contents end up in landfill anyway.
Yup that's right they (the people) either don't care what goes in the recycle cart or just don't have a clue what doesn't go in the recycle cart. Some are even so excited they got the compost cart cause now they figure they have 3 garbage carts
Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 PM

The one I have a hard time with is cardboard recycling. I have heard it goes down to the states. How can you truck old cardboard into the states and think you are doing the environment any good. Some of the recycle centres are subsidized with property taxes to do this "recycling".
Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've known this for a while, but what a waste of money and effort people are going through to "save the Planet"

https://globalnews.ca/news/4906939/c...ustin-trudeau/

Grizz
Recycling is not a waste of $ and the NON EFFORT of people properly recycling and composting needs to be addressed !
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Recycling is not a waste of $ and the NON EFFORT of people properly recycling and composting needs to be addressed !

Partially true... people throw everything into a blue cart and think it’s going to be taken care of ....it ain’t!

There was a chick on CBC who spent a whole year tossing her stuff in the green and blue bins. She was so proud that all she had was one black bin in a whole year. I can damn sure guarantee that all of her blue bin stuff went to the landfill because it wasn’t sorted properly.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Partially true... people throw everything into a blue cart and think it’s going to be taken care of ....it ain’t!

There was a chick on CBC who spent a whole year tossing her stuff in the green and blue bins. She was so proud that all she had was one black bin in a whole year. I can damn sure guarantee that all of her blue bin stuff went to the landfill because it wasn’t sorted properly.
I know Some people throw everything in the blue and green bin without even knowing or caring. I’m in the industry. These are the people that should be educated and then fined if repeat offenders. The product is sorted by machines 60% of the time and the machine can’t differentiate between clean and dirty items that are passing by. This is the major cause of contamination of our recycling material, and the reason other countries don’t want it. It’s our own fault.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM

15+years ago I drove a recycling truck route and I can tell you about 80% went straight to the dump

Don’t know what it is like now but that was an eye opener
Old 01-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
15+years ago I drove a recycling truck route and I can tell you about 80% went straight to the dump

Don’t know what it is like now but that was an eye opener
It’s much better than that, but after 15 years it should almost be non existent
Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 PM

Willing to bet if the city picked up the garbage weekly then there wouldn’t be near as much in the recycling.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Willing to bet if the city picked up the garbage weekly then there wouldn’t be near as much in the recycling.
Yup !
Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Styrofoam

If you buy some larger products 75% of it is styrofoam, which you can't put in the green or blue containers, and as soon as you put it in the black container it's full and there's no room for real garbage.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 PM

I chuckle when I see the cardboard only dumpsters dumped in the local landfill or the retail store or coffee shop employees throwing the recycling bin only contents into the dumpster behind the store. People feel so good about their choices though.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I agree, Recycling is mandatory, but the Reality is, it's just another scam being perpetrated on the Masses. It's just not economical to do it they way we are being told it is, even the people in charge realize this, so we just land fill it or ship it overseas for someone else to do deal with it and they've had enough.

Grizz
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM

Look up Penn and teller's episode on recycling. Hilarious.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:21 AM

In a couple European countries folks are very serious about proper sorting, they’ve obviously been trained properly too. And they have inspectors who hand out fines if it’s not done correctly.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Why push all the recycling on the consumers. Push it on the retailers to make less packaging! So much wasted packaging. Containers inside of boxes inside of cellophane wrap.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=calgarychef;3922704]In a couple European countries folks are very serious about proper sorting, they’ve obviously been trained properly too. And they have inspectors who hand out fines if it’s not done correctly.[/QUOTE

Edmonton has one largest recycling systems in North America. Edmonton has Enerkem biofuels, and composting. Located off highway #16 North side of Sherwood Park.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9...J6bU1rD2A2.Is-

There is a sorting process/conveyor belt. People sort through recyclables. 50% of products are then processed through Enerkems Gasification system to produce products (methanol, and ethanol). The buyers of these recyclable products are Cosmetic companies, resource companies, plastic manufacturers. The second train for Ethanol is now online.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Why push all the recycling on the consumers. Push it on the retailers to make less packaging! So much wasted packaging. Containers inside of boxes inside of cellophane wrap.
Been saying this for years

Regulations against wasteful packaging would make more environmental impact then stupid carbon taxes
Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 AM

They are probably using the recycled material to build a ski hill at Ryley, AB. Maybe Shannon Phillips can build a ski hill there and build a condo resort there too.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I chuckle when I see the cardboard only dumpsters dumped in the local landfill or the retail store or coffee shop employees throwing the recycling bin only contents into the dumpster behind the store. People feel so good about their choices though.
welcome aboard first class on the titanic . bottomline its all about choices eventhought it all end up in the same place.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM

you know, I've never understood why we just don't incinerate every piece of garbage we make.

If we burned it all, we could capture the emissions and the CO2 into containers (I haven't quite figured all this out as I'm just a simple guy) then use the heat and the CO2 to make electricity.

I don't know if that would work at all but it seems to make sense in my mind.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Funny enough, I took a bunch of crap to the calgary dump in south calgary a year or so ago.
Funny enough, they were offloading huge pressed and wrapped bails full of paper and recyclable materials.
They were lining them up and stacking then up to make a base for them to then dump dirt and pack it down to make the piles and mounds that we were dumping garbage on.
Over time as Iv'e watched these dumps grow and move around, they wait a few years and then build a new neighborhood on top of the area that was used a a dump.
Makes me think of in the Simpsons movie when they had to move the town because they built Springfield on top of the dump and then the ground started to shift so they needed to move the city haha
Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
Funny enough, I took a bunch of crap to the calgary dump in south calgary a year or so ago.
Funny enough, they were offloading huge pressed and wrapped bails full of paper and recyclable materials.
They were lining them up and stacking then up to make a base for them to then dump dirt and pack it down to make the piles and mounds that we were dumping garbage on.
Over time as Iv'e watched these dumps grow and move around, they wait a few years and then build a new neighborhood on top of the area that was used a a dump.
Makes me think of in the Simpsons movie when they had to move the town because they built Springfield on top of the dump and then the ground started to shift so they needed to move the city haha
Few neighbourhood in Edmonton is build on top of a dump/swamp
Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM

In Morinville they're refusing "blue bags" and putting a pink sticky on them with improper contents.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
you know, I've never understood why we just don't incinerate every piece of garbage we make.

If we burned it all, we could capture the emissions and the CO2 into containers (I haven't quite figured all this out as I'm just a simple guy) then use the heat and the CO2 to make electricity.

I don't know if that would work at all but it seems to make sense in my mind.
Potentially take that CO2 and inject into oil formations for tertiary recovery.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:30 PM

CBC radio had a big tado about this this morning on the way to work how they (the government) was going to charge the big bad company polluters and we ( the tax payer ) would get off ..FREE......LOL you can't fix stupid there is only one person with money....and they will pay one way or the other.

Another feel good story to sucker in the ill informed JUST before an election.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The recycling facility in Calgary compresses the dirty recycling, also known as garbage, into bales and sends them to the landfill to be disposed of !
Old 09-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Angry Revived for continuity. P.T. Barnum would be proud

The truth about plastics recycling: it was an advertising campaign based on lies from the very beginning. So many drank the Koolaid while others lined their pockets.
Always follow the money.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/89769...=pocket-newtab

A few excerpts:
Quote:
"I remember the first meeting where I actually told a city council that it was costing more to recycle than it was to dispose of the same material as garbage," she says, "and it was like heresy had been spoken in the room: You're lying. This is gold. We take the time to clean it, take the labels off, separate it and put it here. It's gold. This is valuable."

But it's not valuable, and it never has been. And what's more, the makers of plastic — the nation's largest oil and gas companies — have known this all along, even as they spent millions of dollars telling the American public the opposite.
Note the text in bold, sound familiar?
Quote:
Even as the ads played and the projects got underway, Thomas and Freeman say industry officials wanted to get recycling plastic into people's homes and outside on their curbs with blue bins.
The industry created a special group called the Council for Solid Waste Solutions and brought a man from DuPont, Ron Liesemer, over to run it.

Liesemer's job was to at least try to make recycling work — because there was some hope, he said, however unlikely, that maybe if they could get recycling started, somehow the economics of it all would work itself out.
Quote:
Industry documents from this time show that just a couple of years earlier, starting in 1989, oil and plastics executives began a quiet campaign to lobby almost 40 states to mandate that the symbol appear on all plastic — even if there was no way to economically recycle it. Some environmentalists also supported the symbol, thinking it would help separate plastic.

Smith said what it did was make all plastic look recyclable.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell