Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Default Viper Remote Starter issues

Had a 1-way remote starter installed on the wife's Manual trans Honda Fit in Nov because manual door lock cylinders were worn.

After a attempted 5 hour install they called to say that the unit was not communicating properly so rebooked for a few weeks later.

Replaced with another more analog model over 4 hours and sent us on our way

Early Jan it started acting up. Would arm properly and stayed running when I removed the key, but as I walked away and hit the lock button it stayed running in stead of locking and shutting down..

Got it booked in yesterday -tech tried and said had to remove the unit from dash and reflash.

Two hours later good to go.

He changed the arming procedure so it automatically arms when parking brake is pulled and clutch and brake are released.All good as it was previously a pain finding the arming remote start button in the dark at night. Save a step.

Get home-arms fine-remove key while running -get out-hit lock button and engine keeps running

Back in today at 10 am which will mean about 14 hours total waiting time just to start her car

Anyone else have Viper issues?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Two techs and the Service manager spent a hour working on it this morning with no joy.

Rebooked for Thursday with Viper rep on conference call to resolve the issue. Say it is a Firmware issue.

If no joy Thursday they commited to upgrade and install unit #3
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM

How much for door lock cyl’s? Sometimes it is a bit frustrating. Hope it all works out. Viper has been doing it for a long time. Both my wife and I have the cellular remote starts. They work well in my F350, her jeep with manual and arming procedure is finniky. I’d have bypassed clutch switch and be done with it, park in neutral and alls good. Shop would not do it. I get that. So, she has to be dilligent with stming procedure.
Tullfan
Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
How much for door lock cyl’s? Sometimes it is a bit frustrating. Hope it all works out. Viper has been doing it for a long time. Both my wife and I have the cellular remote starts. They work well in my F350, her jeep with manual and arming procedure is finniky. I’d have bypassed clutch switch and be done with it, park in neutral and alls good. Shop would not do it. I get that. So, she has to be dilligent with stming procedure.
Tullfan
Ignition cylinder and 3 door locks would have been close $3K installed at Honda.And $1200 for changing tumblers service from locksmith

Mobile locksmith serviced ignition for $350 and got $100 back fm AMA but could not enter vehicle with door locks and had to leave one door unlocked-broken into twice in one week.

Remote start was less $ than service on one lock so went that route but now turning into a nightmare
Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Wow, sorty to hear. Hope it works out. It should be fine. Good luck.
Tullfan
Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 PM

Two more trips in for this remote- Now approaching 20 hours thay have been working on it.
Shop time alone costing them a fortune.

Used to buzz if headlights were left on and you opened the door-Now no buzzer if remote is armed and lights were left on during daytime and battery was drained-Boosted it but now remote fobs won't communicate and now I cant open or lock the doors with the remotes.

They spent an hour yesterday trying to get the remotes working with no joy and rebooked me for tomorrow afternoon.

They tell me that a dead battery in the future will mean my remotes need to be reflashed each time.

I had a remote start system on my Honda CRV for 15 years and never had any remote Fob issues, but many dead batteries from non use in the winter.

Also previously a non Viper Remote on this Honda Fit , never had non functioning remote Fob issues.

Is it the new normal to have these Fob-Computer communication issues if you have a dead battery?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM

I had a viper two way installed in my F350 about a month and a half ago. I've had no problems whatsoever. Had it installed at Visions.

I had a previous unit installed at Certified Radio and had nothing but problems with it. Is there a chance the installer is the problem?