Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Default Sausage maker problem

Usually I get my sausage made at Victoria sausage house but this year I decided I'd try a new start up that is fairly local. I took my meat in and got it back in about a week which was good. The problem is that it's the worst sausage I've ever had. No flavour in the garlic sausage. Figured ok well the wife could pickle it and at least enjoy it that way. Jade cheese smokies made. I don't recall ever having smokies that were raw and bland. I cooked some in my smoker and they came out borderline tolerable.

Do I tell the guy his product is junk or chalk it up to a lesson learned and never go back?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:27 PM

That's to bad about your meat, you should call and tell them your concerns.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Usually I get my sausage made at Victoria sausage house but this year I decided I'd try a new start up that is fairly local. I took my meat in and got it back in about a week which was good. The problem is that it's the worst sausage I've ever had. No flavour in the garlic sausage. Figured ok well the wife could pickle it and at least enjoy it that way. Jade cheese smokies made. I don't recall ever having smokies that were raw and bland. I cooked some in my smoker and they came out borderline tolerable.

Do I tell the guy his product is junk or chalk it up to a lesson learned and never go back?
Simple-Just invite him and his family over for Dinner next weekend.

Serve his sausage and once they are eating, ask them what they think.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe bring him a sample of his product and let him talk you into liking it
Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

I think I'll call him tomorow. I'm more mad at myself for straying away from the tried and tested. Whomever said change is good is a liar.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Banned

You need to tell him. I'd be curious to hear how he handles a complaint like this. I've made 4 new flavors of sausages this year and never had any come out bad. We are always experimenting new recipes.

To say it's the worst sausage you've ever had speaks volumes.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:53 AM

Default make the call

Definitely give them a call. Even though the damage is done, and there is nothing that can be done (apart from running them through the smokehouse again somehow), the owners need to know.
As someone in the industry, I never like getting those kind of calls, but I can honestly tell you that I appreciate feedback. We cant fix problems if we dont know about them!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 AM

Should have stayed with Victoria. The owners used to be my neighbours. First owner was the father then the son took it over after they bought the place from an old guy when it was right on 66 st.. Great sausage makers. I assume the son still runs it today. Have not been their in a few years. I get my sausage from a polish place by NAIT now.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Banned

Just got off the phone with the owner of the butcher shop. He asked for me to bring a sample in and was very appreciative of the feed back even if it was negative. I guess whatever happens it won’t replace the meat that I took in and I’m not so sure what it would take to make it right.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Should have stayed with Victoria. The owners used to be my neighbours. First owner was the father then the son took it over after they bought the place from an old guy when it was right on 66 st.. Great sausage makers. I assume the son still runs it today. Have not been their in a few years. I get my sausage from a polish place by NAIT now.
Yes the son and his wife still run it. Very nice people. I stop in there a couple times a week. I love their sausage stuffed pork chops and their garlic sausage is unreal.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Banned

Tough to hear but maybe it was your meat,,,doubt it but there is a chance it could have been, i guess you will soon find out,,, good luck
Old 01-29-2019, 07:34 AM

Ive been trying sausage and smokies from several places in southern Alberta,just to see if there is anything I want to stick with.

Ive been extremely disapointed is almost all I have tried.
Have local places like Regs Deli,Douglas Meats.....that I find better than most.

I will never get anything made before I have tested the stuff a place makes.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:45 AM

If the smokies are raw there is a chance the meat can be removed from the casings, have more seasoning added then be re-stuffed. The garlic sausage could be fried in garlic butter to add more flavor but it most likely wont be up to spec, it just makes it a little more palatable.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If the smokies are raw there is a chance the meat can be removed from the casings, have more seasoning added then be re-stuffed. The garlic sausage could be fried in garlic butter to add more flavor but it most likely wont be up to spec, it just makes it a little more palatable.
I was figuring on feeding it to the dogs. Maybe pickling the garlic sausage. We'll see what they come back with. Like i told the owner that I won't be back and this is the reason why. I was disappointed when they said that they are new to this sausage business and it was hard to compete with 25 years of experience. **** poor excuse imo. Asked him if he liked paying journeyman rate for a mechanic when it's the janitor fixing his truck.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Hello,

you should definitely tell him. Otherwise he wouldn't know he is doing it wrong and he would continue disappointing other costumers. Feedback is important and constructive criticism especially!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I was figuring on feeding it to the dogs. Maybe pickling the garlic sausage. We'll see what they come back with. Like i told the owner that I won't be back and this is the reason why. I was disappointed when they said that they are new to this sausage business and it was hard to compete with 25 years of experience. **** poor excuse imo. Asked him if he liked paying journeyman rate for a mechanic when it's the janitor fixing his truck.
Great analogy. Tough lesson.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM

Well that really sucks, I’d hate for it to happen to me or anyone. Did you try a sample or two of his sausages before you agreed to use his services?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Careful on the garlic if there is a lot its toxic to dogs. You could cut them all open respice them and make them into little breakfast patties if you don't want to restuff them into sausage.

That is a poor excuse for something you paid for, should have at least refined their recipes before making it available to the public and charging for it.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well that really sucks, I’d hate for it to happen to me or anyone. Did you try a sample or two of his sausages before you agreed to use his services?
No I didn't. Should of I guess.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

Thanks nova. No I more than likely won't feed it to the dogs. Probably pass on a lot of it to the future son in law.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks nova. No I more than likely won't feed it to the dogs. Probably pass on a lot of it to the future son in law.
Excellent idea. I give any freezer burnt meat to inlaws