Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2018, 06:18 AM

Default Electric bikes

Anyone mess around with these? I've been thinking that tbey might be the ticket for accessing some otherwise hard to reach places much more quickly than I could on foot. I've been hunting wmu 359 for some years now but it keeps getting more crowded and I'm thinking it might be time to abandon it and stay closer to home. There is a few grazing reserves fairly close by, and while there aren't many elk here unfortunately, the deer numbers are decent. With the money I save on one or two trips up north I could probably buy a bike.
I'm just curious how well they work in real world conditions, and what I would need to be looking for. Maybe a straight up human powered bike would even be enough, who knows. If anyone has any info they'd like to share, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:49 AM

I bought a Rambo this year, I was going to build one with a kit from luna cycle, but the deal was too good to pass up. To hunt mountain areas you will have to change the front chainring to a smaller size than stock for better climbing. Stay away from the cheaper hub motor powered bikes as they have a tendency to fry on steep climbs. Most ready built fat bikes come with Kenda Juggernaut tires. You will want to upgrade after a few rides, I am running Schwalbe Jumbo Jims on mine, big improvement. The biggest advantage to having an ebike out there is that you can get to your stand without getting drenched in sweat and then shivering all day. I have been commuting by bike for 35 plus years and thought I'd give this bike a try or two just to get the bugs worked out of it. Very addictive and fun too.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:50 AM

Don’t know how it would work in a real mountains but we rented them when we were is Lisbon in June. Lisbon has very steep hills and these bike were flying! I honestly didn’t expect it! There one one hill in particular that probably was 70* incline and we were thinking of turning back. Our tour guide told us to get on the bikes and start pedaling... WOW, I still can not believe we made this hill!
These bikes go like a bloody tanks, lol! Don’t know the make or model, you probably better of talking to the guys at the store.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 AM

They are very surprising , lotta powah ! But lotta monay ! Around $3k for one from a bike shop. I think they will keep getting more popular as batteries get better and prices should fall .

I see some places are selling them online , cut out the middleman but not sure about warranty and parts looks like the store dealerships tack on at least a grand to each e-bike they sell . Don't know anything about this store https://sparkbikes.ca/ but interesting to check out the components and prices for comparison .
Old 09-30-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I bought a Rambo this year, I was going to build one with a kit from luna cycle, but the deal was too good to pass up. To hunt mountain areas you will have to change the front chainring to a smaller size than stock for better climbing. Stay away from the cheaper hub motor powered bikes as they have a tendency to fry on steep climbs. Most ready built fat bikes come with Kenda Juggernaut tires. You will want to upgrade after a few rides, I am running Schwalbe Jumbo Jims on mine, big improvement. The biggest advantage to having an ebike out there is that you can get to your stand without getting drenched in sweat and then shivering all day. I have been commuting by bike for 35 plus years and thought I'd give this bike a try or two just to get the bugs worked out of it. Very addictive and fun too.
You buy the Rambo new? I looked at their website, great looking bikes but pretty pricey....Luna looks like you could build a decent set up for reasonable prices
Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM

I have a couple, except they forgot to send the motors and batteries Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quick tip though, get your bike parts from Wiggle or Ribble, quality tires & tubes can be had dirt cheap. I purchased most of my chain rings & cassettes from those 2 places when I rebuilt my drivetrain on my time trial bike.

One thing I'll suggest to anyone willing to listen, invest in latex tubes. They have lower rolling resistance, better riding and less prone to puncturing. However, the rims need to be prepped correctly and tires have to be refilled every time you go riding.

Last edited by russ; 09-30-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
You buy the Rambo new? I looked at their website, great looking bikes but pretty pricey....Luna looks like you could build a decent set up for reasonable prices
Yes , I got it from Jo-brook outdoors Brandon MB. They were blowing them out at $2500 cdn shipped. I was going to build a fatso from Bikesdirect and put a Bafang BBSHD mid drive on it for about the same money. I should have stayed with my plan A but this one was ready to go and Jo-brook is a great company to deal with. I also have from Rambo; rear rack, saddle bag and trailer that doubles as a game cart. A Montana gun/bow rack completes the setup. All I need now is time to hunt. As I stated earlier this is my daily commute ride, fun but I never lost weight this summer.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:23 AM

Are you aloud to use them hunting before noon, since they are a motorized ?
Would the same rules apply as a atv?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Are you aloud to use them hunting before noon, since they are a motorized ?
Would the same rules apply as a atv?
I consider them motorized when they're used in the city by people trying to pull a fast one by saving insurance and registration yet somehow still be able to go 55-60 km/h and able to wreak the same amount of potential havoc in a collision as a motorcycle (while simultaneously pretending that the rules of the road don't apply to them because of not having to be licensed). I was behind one going that fast on level ground for a km easily last week.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Default ebike

is there anywhere to rent them in the Calgary area? would like to try before laying out the cash.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Bafang motors are of high quality.
Build kits can be easily installed, but a guy should research to ensure that their donor bike has the correct frame geometry that can readily accept the motor and battery.
Luna is a good supplier, but there are less expensive options.

If you have an older bike with a quality frame and good components, it can make a very competent e-bike.

Quick kijiji search. Not my bike.
Here's an example of what you can find or build for yourself.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ebike/calgar...ationFlag=true
Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 AM

now you are getting into an interesting controversial area - mountain biking has got me with my chronic mobility issues back out on the trails again however biking also has the high and mighty thumbing their noses at electric bikes - met an old fella on his electric bike still able to get back out in the Kootenay back country and that friendly, old guy knew more about the back country than all the rushing about fancy pants will ever .... anyways this is a good thread for those of us less mechanically inclined outdoor types - having rented an electric bike for a month in the Cook Islands last winter was fun but those bikes were heavy tanks hauling them over creeks and obstacles, I'm learning with both kinds of bikes you sure get what you pay for
Old 09-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Valleys View Post
now you are getting into an interesting controversial area - mountain biking has got me with my chronic mobility issues back out on the trails again however biking also has the high and mighty thumbing their noses at electric bikes - met an old fella on his electric bike still able to get back out in the Kootenay back country and that friendly, old guy knew more about the back country than all the rushing about fancy pants will ever .... anyways this is a good thread for those of us less mechanically inclined outdoor types - having rented an electric bike for a month in the Cook Islands last winter was fun but those bikes were heavy tanks hauling them over creeks and obstacles, I'm learning with both kinds of bikes you sure get what you pay for
I'm all for mobility-limited people getting out and about, but they should have an able-bodied person with them or they'll wind up way further in without the means of getting out in the event of a mechanical failure. Some people don't make contingency plans and become their own worst enemies. I'd back legislation that allows exceptions to normal OHV restrictions for the mobility impaired. That being said I believe anything with a motor should have all the other rules of the road applied to them, when people can go 60+ km/h and have the potential to cause accidents, they should have a visible license plate, liability insurance and have qualified for the appropriate drivers license.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
is there anywhere to rent them in the Calgary area? would like to try before laying out the cash.
Just think how much easier the run would be...
Old 09-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
Most bicycle stores rent them out eg Bow cycle, pure cycle etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I consider them motorized when they're used in the city by people trying to pull a fast one by saving insurance and registration yet somehow still be able to go 55-60 km/h and able to wreak the same amount of potential havoc in a collision as a motorcycle (while simultaneously pretending that the rules of the road don't apply to them because of not having to be licensed). I was behind one going that fast on level ground for a km easily last week.
Not true. From the factory they are limited to 32 km/h. 500 watts or less. Yes they can be modified but then the police will have a chat with you. Alberta Transportation and Transport Canada do not consider them motor vehicles. I have a laminated copy of the law in my saddle bag as 1 day I will run into a LEO who is unaware of the law and has an itchy ticket book.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Not true. From the factory they are limited to 32 km/h. 500 watts or less. Yes they can be modified but then the police will have a chat with you. Alberta Transportation and Transport Canada do not consider them motor vehicles. I have a laminated copy of the law in my saddle bag as 1 day I will run into a LEO who is unaware of the law and has an itchy ticket book.
Its true as heck when I was driving behind one last week, it was in front of me from 46th Ave and 11th Street S.E to past the waste treatment plant where it veered north as I continued east. My vehicles speedo told the tale. Trying to tell me what I witnessed personally as not being true is more than a little bit silly. If its not already overwritten I'll also have video proof of it with GPS confirmed speed readings from my Garmin dash cam if that helps ........

Further to this, if the thing is illegally modified and the user does not need a drivers license, how do the authorities go about suspending their potentially non-existent drivers license for the infraction? If the law allows motorized bikes to 33km/h to not be considered motorized vehicles then the idiocy lies with the legislation. Motor: check. Wheels: check. Its a motor vehicle.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-30-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:59 PM

Revolution Cycle in Edmonton rents a few different models. A little expensive for one day, $93, but you can actually rent for 2 days for the same price and 3 days is only $20 more. Seven day rental works out to about $30 a day.

When I was checking these out last year no one in Edmonton rented, that I could find. I am definitely going to rent one for a week or so when the weather gets nice next spring and try one out.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Its true as heck when I was driving behind one last week, it was in front of me from 46th Ave and 11th Street S.E to past the waste treatment plant where it veered north as I continued east. My vehicles speedo told the tale. Trying to tell me what I witnessed personally as not being true is more than a little bit silly. If its not already overwritten I'll also have video proof of it with GPS confirmed speed readings from my Garmin dash cam if that helps ........

Further to this, if the thing is illegally modified and the user does not need a drivers license, how do the authorities go about suspending their potentially non-existent drivers license for the infraction? If the law allows motorized bikes to 33km/h to not be considered motorized vehicles then the idiocy lies with the legislation. Motor: check. Wheels: check. Its a motor vehicle.
I don't doubt what you saw, that was not my point. Bone stock these things are not motor bikes. With a little backyard ingenuity they can really rock but now they are in violation of the law.

Think what you want, here's the law. Page 7. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...klet_final.pdf Once a factory ebike is hot-rodded, these rules do not apply and the bike has to be insured and registered as a home-built motorcycle and good luck with that. I bought a Grubee moped engine for an old mtn bike hoping to use as a cheap hunting bike. Boinggg! It's now a motor bike and my insurance company said no way.

Last edited by Unregistered user; 09-30-2018 at 02:34 PM.