Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Default RV auction.

Anyone taken an rv to the auction? What is a good auction to take it to? What is the percentage they usually take.

I have an rv that has/had some water damage so from the outside it is starting to delaminate and it does not look good, as well the front cap had leaked I pealed the fiberglass sheet all back and let the cardboard underneath all dry up, but once cardboard dries up it stays humpy bumpy.so that too does not look good. I have it advertised on kijiji but a lot of people are turned off by the way the exterior looks. I took it to an RV repair place and just to repair the front cap was going to be $3000, the fix all the delamination spot another $5000 plus what ever else the find. So it is not worth fixing it, just live with it. for now I have sealed it all up so it doesn't leak anymore. So I was thinking of taking it to an auction.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:49 AM

I think your best bet to is keep advertising on kijiji. At auction this unit wont go for much anyways, then you are left paying their fees. Best to advertise it honestly and priced fairly on kijiji and hope someone is willing to take the risk and repair it themselves. Water damage to an RV a deal killer for most people. That said, I had an old 83 Okanagon with water damage that I posted on kijiji for cheap and it ended up in a bidding war. I got way more than I was asking and a young couple came down from Alaska to pick it up and they were going to repair it the best they could and use it as an ice fishing unit.

It may take you some time to move it. Things are only worth what someones willing to pay.

If you are set on going the auction route Graham auction in Calgary would take it I am sure. Sorry I didn't look to see where you are located.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM

I've used Michener Allen in the past and their fee was running at 12%. Very good people to deal with. The good thing is that once you've consigned, you're done with your unit. But, auctions are fickle. You can be pleasantly surprised as to what someone will pay for your unit or severely disappointed dependent on what your expectations are.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:09 AM

That is the thing about an auction, it sells for one, but the price can be up or down. But it is gone and you are done with it. BTW next Michener auction is Oct. 20 so you might want to get to it if that is the route you are going to take.

Question: if it is water damage will your insurance cover it?