Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Spray foam insulation

Hello all,

I’m thinking of spraying the ceiling in my enclosed trailer. Has anyone done this?Is it more cost effective to hire someone or to do it yourself? Pros and cons.
It’s about 130 sq ft.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
Hello all,

I’m thinking of spraying the ceiling in my enclosed trailer. Has anyone done this?Is it more cost effective to hire someone or to do it yourself? Pros and cons.
It’s about 130 sq ft.

Thanks in advance
Be careful - 1) the stuff in a can won't adhere enough immediately to prevent gravity from causing it to fall down...so hopefully you are doing this from the top, or using a professional product. 2) Anywhere the stuff gets, will "stain" it yellow/orange without you being able to get it off.

Maybe get some styrofoam instead and cut to fit?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:14 AM

This summer I got a new Sprinter cargo van and spray foamed it prior to sending it to the shelving outfitters as it was getting wall panels installed prior to the shelving. I used two of the kits linked below that are available from Lowes, I got them on sale and happened to have one of those gift cards they give out from previous purchases so the price was more reasonable at under $300/kit. As coverage is never quite what they packaging states I started with one kit and returned to get the second kit after emptying the initial one. In hindsight I'd have rather paid to have it done as it was time-consuming. There is lots of prep work and clean up afterwards, masking off all the spots you don't want covered, finding a junky set of clothes to get covered on overspray if you don't want to buy disposable coveralls. It worked fine though I think the better equipment of the pro's will give better results.

https://www.lowes.ca/spray-foam-insu...erm=Spray-foam

A point to worth repeating is to make sure the canisters are up to the temperature noted in the instructions, mine were a bit low and I think that is what precipitated the runny mess I had at the end of a kit when one component ran out first. The stuff is like cleaning up pancake syrup, except its not water soluble......

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-29-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:07 AM

If you find someone that is doing it commercially, id find a time that works for them and pull the trial to where they are set up at. It won't take them very long to spray it out and they don't need to set up to do it!
Old 09-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by let it fly View Post
If you find someone that is doing it commercially, id find a time that works for them and pull the trial to where they are set up at. It won't take them very long to spray it out and they don't need to set up to do it!
<—— This is a good idea. To have it really fast get some poly sheet and tape off what you want protected, co-ordinating with the insulator. Good thing about the trailer is it’s portable. I wish I had thought of this for my van, it probably would have cost the same as the product alone.