Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Took most of the summer to get the RV antifreeze flavor to go away.
I only use my tank water for utility purposes washing and dishes we only use drinking water from a known source 5 gallons of bottled water lasts for days. Filling up your tank at campgrounds of possibly potable is like rolling the dice and who knows what could be growing in your tanks from unchlorinated water.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I only use my tank water for utility purposes washing and dishes we only use drinking water from a known source 5 gallons of bottled water lasts for days. Filling up your tank at campgrounds of possibly potable is like rolling the dice and who knows what could be growing in your tanks from unchlorinated water.
Yup, me too. There's better sources of drinking water than my "fresh water" tank and RV lines. One stay at at a full hook up site to run pressurized water from the "city" hook up through all taps etc. and out the grey tank. Or do it in your own back yard with a drinking water quality hose hooked to your outdoor tap. All done in a matter of minutes.

I also make sure I never pressure up the water system with RV anti freeze in the lines in the fall. That may help reduce the odor/taste, but it's never been a problem the next season.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM

So how long do you think I can leave it before winterizing? I was hoping for an October heat wave to do some fall camping but I see the temp going down to -5 this weekend.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
So how long do you think I can leave it before winterizing? I was hoping for an October heat wave to do some fall camping but I see the temp going down to -5 this weekend.
Antifreeze is cheap takes a short time to remove and replace better safe than sorry for 10 bucks why not.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Antifreeze is cheap takes a short time to remove and replace better safe than sorry for 10 bucks why not.
You're right, but my trailer is 2hr drive away. I guess I better make time.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
You're right, but my trailer is 2hr drive away. I guess I better make time.
I'm in the same boat I usually do it in Oct. last weekend it went down to -5 overnight I drove out and did it just to be on the safe side, my outside shower water line had some ice took a while for the antifreeze to go through. I saw a water heater at the dealership that looked like a basketball it had froze over a winter it was enough to spook me.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Fill up my tank at home and head to the mountains for 3 weeks where there are no services other than an outhouse and a water pump, if the pump works. Never fill the water tank from an unknown source. Pump water is used for dishes, showers, putting campfire out.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Banned

I've used both methods and both have worked. And yes, there is a chance that "some lines will not get completely blown out and might freeze". If done properly, this shouldn't happen but then ..using both methods pretty much guarantees success. Air is free and the antifreeze is cheap.

Doesn't matter which method you use, as along as you don't forget about the black tank flush, the outside shower, and the ........, you'll be fine
Old 09-27-2018, 03:49 PM

Been doing it every year for nearly 20 years. I just go the antifreeze route. Bypass the hot water tank. last fall I forgot to pull the plug on the tank. $250 later and about an hour I had it swapped out but an expensive lesson nevertheless.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Also, wedge the toilet valve in the bowl open with a piece of wood or something. It helps make sure it's fully drained.
That’s what the vent stack is for!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
That’s what the vent stack is for!
Ahh, not really. The vent stack has no bearing on whether there is pressure and maybe water at the toilet.

Holding the flush valve open also means the water line to the toilet is left open, the line has no residual pressure on it and there shouldn't be any water or antifreeze for that matter at the valve in the toilet under pressure.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Took most of the summer to get the RV antifreeze flavor to go away.
fair enough . we always bring a five gallon jug and pump for drinking water so i have never noticed this .