Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Marathons?

Looking to try a marathon or half, any of you guys do them and particularly any in July or August? Also how long do you normally train for one?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 PM

I have been instructing a marathon clinic for the last 5 years. It’s a 16 week program that has you running 3-5 days a week. Bank on 5-7 hours a week of running, so it is a significant time commitment.

As a rule of thumb, if you can run 10 km without stopping, you could complete a marathon in 4 months. If you can run 5 km without stopping you could run a half marathon in 4 months.

Lots of groups, mine included (North Central Calgary), that would help you out.

There are half marathons almost every weekend in the spring, summer and fall with a few in the winter. Less marathons, but defiantly one a month in the general area.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 PM

Be careful, running can be addictive,,
Take your training slow and have fun.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 PM

If u have to do one, Calgary is in a month.
I’d save your knees and do trail running.

Lots more fun.

Sinister 7, Blackspur, deer Run, Canmore Grizzly, Fat Dog 120

I gotta get serious about putting time in an km on these days.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
If u have to do one, Calgary is in a month.
I’d save your knees and do trail running.

Lots more fun.

Sinister 7, Blackspur, deer Run, Canmore Grizzly, Fat Dog 120

I gotta get serious about putting time in an km on these days.
If you can swing it, trail running is so much easier on the body and a total blast when you start getting into the longer distances.

Training time really depends on the individual and what kind of shape they are in and how much they can push themselves. Some folks can go run a half marathon off the couch. When I trained for ultras it was about an 8 month process and I would be doing marathon length runs after about 3 or so months.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Slowly build your mileage up, strength training is still important, keep a log of miles and what you are eating for performance, results etc. Good to look back on and join a running group if you can, surround yourself with like minded people to assist you through the training etc. Enjoy the fresh air and good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 AM

I signed up for "woody's Run " May long weekend in Red deer, I run 10km 2x a week, once you get and have some angry music playing it goes pretty good.I did the run last year and it was a lot of fun.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Default Marathons

I took up running in May of 2016 at 54 after a 28 yr break, in Oct 2016 I ran my 1st Marathon here in Calgary It was the Mountain Equipment race. I used the Hanson's training guide and did most of the training on my own except for Sun mornings with the Eauclair Running room where I completed my long runs. Long runs are easier to complete in a group especially if you are a fairly new runner. As the training programs progress the runs get fairly long topping out at 32k in their program. I had hoped to finish in 3:45 but finished in 3:46:30 1st in the 50 to 59 age group so I was pretty happy with that.

Through the winter of 2017 I was a pacer in the Eauclair Running room program in the 3:45 finish time, our goal race was the Calgary Marathon in May. I completed the race but not near the 3:45 time I had hoped for every race wont be a good one.

You should expect to run 5 days per week putting in some significant mileage especially towards the end some of the runs will be in the 32k range I would suggest running further though.

Listen to your body do not run if you are injured or hurting too much, rest days are important. I tried to run through an injury after running hills 5 weeks ago I'm just getting my confidence back to let go while running again and will miss a target race of the Police 1/2 Marathon and the Calgary Marathon in May. I am hoping to stay healthy & injury free through out the summer and hope to run the good life Marathon in Victoria in Oct or else the Marathon in Kelowna.

There is a training program starting at the Eauclair Running room in June with these 2 races as target race. I think I might sign up a pacer again as it helps to keep me committed to putting in the required mileage. I ran over 2000k in 2017 am hoping to better that mileage this yr. Mec has a lot of races though the summer as well they are very low key and not a lot of participants and no swag my only swag from the MEC marathon is the bib no medals no t shirts
Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Default I used to love running long

When I was in my 30s I did quite a bit of distance running. I ran 2 marathons and a 50 km run as well as a whole bunch of 10 Ks and a couple half marathons. I always felt I was undertrained. I ran my best marathon at under 40 miles per week for about three months. During my training for that marathon I ran 10s and 12s each week and I did one 16.

During both my marathons and the 50 K run I lost the nails on both of my big toes, and after the runs I felt wrecked but a supreme sense of accomplishment. Running allowed me to go from a fat guy to a slightly overweight guy. Running made me feel really fit, but now I am on a list for a hip rebuild

The thing I miss most about running races are the races, people and those pasta and beer loading parties

I think one has to decide if the goal is just to complete the distance or run with a specific time on mind. Just me, but I always backed off running for a few days before the race and on races day I always counted on the race itself to pull or push me to finish. With one exception I always did better than my goal.

Now at 70 I look back on my running days and when I think of the marathon distance it blows my mind that I once was fit enough.

My best advice for one that is into running for fitness is to run a few long races to get it out of your system and then cut back running to moderation and maybe throw in a bit of vigorous walking, cycling and some strength training.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 AM

Personally I'd register for a half first. You may be surprised like I was at how hard they are. I was always a 10k-ish runner, never the fastest or slowest just did my own thing. But 26kms on a road/bike path was killer on the legs. If you're near Canmore I'd strongly recommend looking at 5peaks, they have halfs in June and Sept, awesome trails unless you like roads.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I have been instructing a marathon clinic for the last 5 years. It’s a 16 week program that has you running 3-5 days a week. Bank on 5-7 hours a week of running, so it is a significant time commitment.

As a rule of thumb, if you can run 10 km without stopping, you could complete a marathon in 4 months. If you can run 5 km without stopping you could run a half marathon in 4 months.

Lots of groups, mine included (North Central Calgary), that would help you out.

There are half marathons almost every weekend in the spring, summer and fall with a few in the winter. Less marathons, but defiantly one a month in the general area.
I'll echo the sentiments here - plan on a 4-6 month training plan. I pushed my milage too fast when I was younger and had three stress fractures. Not fun. Long and slow is the way to build it and train with a group so you don't have overtraining injuries. The Running Room is great, as are a lot of other good programs.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:50 AM

My wife and I ran the National Capital Marathon in Ottawa back in 1981. WE were jogging on average 25 miles per week and I saw an article in Runners World magazine giving a 6 week program for running a marathon. You had to have at least 20 miles per week of jogging to start the program. We followed it faithfully and I completed the marathon in 4 hr 24 min 17 sec. I felt great until mile 23 when I hit the wall. That last 3 miles were agony but, I didn't stop.

My wife and I had an agreement that we would cross the finish line together so that neither one of us would be able to say, "Na Na Na, I beat you." It turns out that two runners cannot have identical times. Her shirt number was 1 digit less than mine so, her time was 4 hr 24 min 16 sec.

Running a 1/2 marathon after that was a piece of cake. I'm 76 this year and I don't jog anymore but, I walk an average of 3 miles (5 Kms) along with 10 to 15 flights of stairs per day, winter and summer After a complete battery of cardiac tests two months ago, The cardiologist said my heart was strong, valves are tight and no sign of any blockage, my cholesterol was normal and my resting heart rate is in the 50's. He said just keep doing what you are doing.

There is an old saying, "You can exercise and stay young or, you can sit and watch yourself get old. Not bragging, just saying that we all have a choice.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Ain't that the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
My wife and I ran the National Capital Marathon in Ottawa back in 1981. WE were jogging on average 25 miles per week and I saw an article in Runners World magazine giving a 6 week program for running a marathon. You had to have at least 20 miles per week of jogging to start the program. We followed it faithfully and I completed the marathon in 4 hr 24 min 17 sec. I felt great until mile 23 when I hit the wall. That last 3 miles were agony but, I didn't stop.

My wife and I had an agreement that we would cross the finish line together so that neither one of us would be able to say, "Na Na Na, I beat you." It turns out that two runners cannot have identical times. Her shirt number was 1 digit less than mine so, her time was 4 hr 24 min 16 sec.

Running a 1/2 marathon after that was a piece of cake. I'm 76 this year and I don't jog anymore but, I walk an average of 3 miles (5 Kms) along with 10 to 15 flights of stairs per day, winter and summer After a complete battery of cardiac tests two months ago, The cardiologist said my heart was strong, valves are tight and no sign of any blockage, my cholesterol was normal and my resting heart rate is in the 50's. He said just keep doing what you are doing.

There is an old saying, "You can exercise and stay young or, you can sit and watch yourself get old. Not bragging, just saying that we all have a choice.
I see so many people with so many problems when all it takes is excersice and enjoying an active lifestyle.
Ran the Vancouver marathon in 1984 3hrs and 15 minutes....did triathlons, snow to surfs, various other races just because and now compete in Spartan races....or I should say show up...run 20 Km's a weak, strength and condition training but listen to my aches and pains...like all said to the OP enjoy the activity of running it will do you a world of healthy benefits.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-26-2021, 09:24 AM

Smile Thread revival for you runners

This BBC story on "Big Dog's Backyard Ultra" is a look into the world (and some history) of ultra marathons, and the people who compete in them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/56720358

Quote:
Think you can run 4.16666 miles in an hour? Probably.

Could you do it again the following hour? Quite possibly.

How about the hour after that? The legs might be feeling it by now.

What if you had to do it every hour for the next two or three days?

It's hard to say exactly how long you'll be running for - because this race only finishes when there's one person left standing.

The trouble is, some runners can keep going for quite a long time. The current record - held by a Belgian dentist - is 75 hours, or 312 miles.

Welcome to Big Dog's Backyard Ultra, the toughest - and weirdest - race you've never heard of.
Quote:
Events like this are typical of Gary Cantrell. Also known as Lazarus Lake, the man with the beard and the beanie has become a legendary figure in the running community as the founder of the notorious Barkley Marathons, made famous by a Netflix documentary and widely accepted as one of the hardest foot races on the planet with a failure rate of 99%.
Link to Barkley Marathons story:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/47040763

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-26-2021, 10:48 AM

I ran my first half marathon in 1:38 two summers ago. I have never competed in an official race. Just on my own. 34 years old and no running history past a couple years ago. It’s amazing how quickly the human body can adapt to the rigours of running. I would say it took a couple months, maybe 10-12 weeks of build up and away I went. It was exhilarating and I am hoping to run a full this year yet.

Last year I focused on speed training. I really wanted to run a sub 20 min 5 km. The best I could get was 20:29 for the longest time until I figured out a good system:
I trained 1 km under 4 min. Two day break. 2 km under 8 min. Two days break. 3 km under 12 min (that run got messed up by a bad gps that day. So frustrating!). After another 2 day break, I went out to attempt the 3km sub 12 min. My times were off the charts (for me) and I realized I had only 2 km to go with an extra minute of grace to beat 20 min. I was able to crush my personal best. Something I never thought possible.

Point is, keep at it. It’s very rewarding. Running and I have a love hate relationship. But it’s amazing
Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2021, 11:00 AM

Death race ultra (August long weekend) in Grande Cache had a marathon happening concurrently as well.

Not sure if they have room still for this year though.

I prefer trail running to road running though I’ve been recovering from a torn meniscus and am going on month 5 which is making me think bikes may be more my speed going into the future?
Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM

My suggestion is buy a watch. I bought a Garmin. Keeping track of pace, heart rate, and seeing progress was a big help for me. Strava is a great app as well.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:08 PM

The wife was a marathon clinician for the YMCA. She invited me to join her runs for some time, before that fateful day. I still remember it. I was biking and a steady gym goer at the time, but running wasn’t something I thought I’d like. A couple of years later, my whole life revolved around tuning my body for that weekend run. I ate and drank to run. I lived to run. The weekend run was typically a 4 hour event. It wasn’t about distance (I never calculated distance) but rather the balance between reserves and expenditure, and pushing that balance to new depths. My routine was typically the main event, a weekend run, followed by a quiet day of recovery. Next day would start the stretch out that lasted until the next weekend run day. A short run mid week run focusing on power and technique. A light day with weights for overall toning, with a heavy day later in the week. As the main run approached, I concentrated on stretching and what I was putting into my body. The run itself was all about efficiency of movement and the expenditure balance. When you exceeded in one section, you paid back in another.
Living in Vancouver at the time was very beneficial as you ran all year. My running days ended when I moved to Calgary, but work commitments played the bigger role.
These days, retired and managing aging joints, I maintain a daily two hour hike with the dog, often stopping and admiring the younger folk that glide by on their runs. Did decide the other day that I was going to get that dam bike out again, as everyday I discover new trails. Damn the torpedoes.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:38 PM

I have done a half every year for the past 5 years now. I am no expert but I have 2 tips...

1. Dont train on the treadmill. If you have to occasionally... 2% incline. I did all my training for the first one on a treadmill, it didnt allow for my legs to get used to the pavement pounding... I could hardly walk because of shin splints for 3 days after the half.

2. sign up now. most are doing virtual runs where you run by yourself and submit the time after. But it gives a deadline and motivation.

Even if you run/walk a half you can finish, and you will be thinking about improving on the next one...
Old 04-26-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

During both my marathons and the 50 K run I lost the nails on both of my big toes, and after the runs I felt wrecked but a supreme sense of accomplishment. Running allowed me to go from a fat guy to a slightly overweight guy. Running made me feel really fit, but now I am on a list for a hip rebuild

I think one has to decide if the goal is just to complete the distance or run with a specific time on mind. Just me, but I always backed off running for a few days before the race and on races day I always counted on the race itself to pull or push me to finish. With one exception I always did better than my goal.

My best advice for one that is into running for fitness is to run a few long races to get it out of your system and then cut back running to moderation and maybe throw in a bit of vigorous walking, cycling and some strength training.
A lot of this resonates with my experiences with running. My first race was a 50 km trail race (Lost Souls) (Bessie you're only an hour from Lethbridge and you didn't mention LSU). Did another half dozen or so, but later on it was so much more fun doing half's, easier to train for, less stress on the body and typically the same great views.

It is a great way to take a vacation. Pick a destination find a race or just some trails and really see what an area has to offer. we've been to races in AB, BC, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Mexico, Switzerland.

Can't say I ever lost a toenail (although I've seen some incredible feet) but it can get hard on the body if you are training incorrectly. I'm also up for a hip but I truly can't blame it on the running.

Trail running is in my opinion a much better option but I know quite a few trail runners who also love running fast and controlled on pavement.

Just commit to a race and find some advice for training. Trust your body. Never miss a long run.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:21 PM

Dude... Lost Soul is just cruel and unusual punishment.... no joy there!

Yes! Tour running is great... the wife and I have done races in:

SanFrancisco
Quebec City! (Fans are amazing!)
Northern France-Belgium
Cayman Islands

Yes... if this Covid thing goes away.... we plan on hitting more places in the States and Central America... there’s a wicked good trail race in Hawaii.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:43 PM

As much as I hate old threads coming back to life I gotta say I do love running. I’m surprised there isn’t more “running bad for you” comments from the couch potatoes

Bessiedog, how was the European run? We go over to visit family every couple years, next time I would like to do some running while we’re there. After binge watching a couple British runners, They have some nice country side.

Quote:
SanFrancisco
Quebec City! (Fans are amazing!)
Northern France-Belgium
Cayman Islands

Yes... if this Covid thing goes away.... we plan on hitting more places in the States and Central America... there’s a wicked good trail race in Hawaii.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:22 AM

We did the Nord Trail du mont Flanders

https://www.nordtrailmontsdeflandres.com/

They run 25, 40, 50, 70, and 120 km distances... through Northern France into Belgium.

Fantastic countryside. Negligible altitude changes. Their hills are nothing obviously compared to the Rockies.

Extremely well set up. Great beer, the village has festivities, cafes are great. People are extremely welcoming and friendly.

I’d highly recommend.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Dude... Lost Soul is just cruel and unusual punishment.... no joy there!
The twisted RD's would appreciate that comment.