Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 AM

Default Plastic Welder Needed

I am looking for a plastic welder in the central Alberta area. To be more specific the fender on my quad has cracked and the replacement part is now obsolete and I have been told that there is a process called plastic welding that could be employed to save the fender. I am located in the Bentley/Rimbey area and hope I can find someone close by. Many thanks for your help. Regards David Henry.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 AM

Try any of the bumper shops in Edmonton...IE..Edmonton electroplating. They should be able to do it. All else fails,try NAIT ( Patricia campus west end)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Thanks icehunter that's a start at least. D.H.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 AM

I can't help with the plastic welding but I have repaired a fender or two.
The best results I've had was drilling a row of small holes along each side of the crack but back at least a 1/4 " from the edge. Then use zip ties to "stitch" the crack closed. Have the zip side on the underside and the repair looks like a neat row of stitches.
I've seen these repairs last well where most plastic welds re-break, but I'm not a plastic welding expert.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Banned

Default plastic repair

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...wZYYXjAvdUiQZw
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM

Just a thought, but perhaps after plastic welding one could sand the items with a coarse grit and get them Line-X'd afterwards. That and/or incorporating a fabric of some kind reinforcement into the mix, cordura epoxied over it for instance. Just thinking out loud here......
Old 03-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Its not that hard to do yourself, its a heat gun with plastic rod, problem is finding the right color rod to match your plastic. I used to borrow the plastic welder from work for my 88 Suzuki, the rods were darker than my plastic after I few years of hard hunting it looked like the quad had veins.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Yes that Line X idea would give the fender a bit more support. D.H.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM

I had my stepsides fender welded by my then body shop. The guy did a perfect job, invisible when done well. Just go talk to a few body shops and find one who has experience - not his first try.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:00 AM

Back in the day we had a plastic welder at the body shop i worked at. As mentioned, biggest issue is matching the rod to the plastic you have. We just started sending them out instead of doing it ourselves. One wrong rod and your doing it over where as the repair guy charged once whether he did it once or 4 times to get it right.

Check your local body shop and see where they send their bumpers for repair.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:14 AM

What kind of quad is it and a picture of the damaged area. Maybe someone has a dead one that would be willing to sell the part cheap.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Nail and a torch

I did some repairs myself on an old motorcycle when I couldn't afford to have someone else do them for me.

I used a nail, say a roofing nail with a large head, and gripped it in some vice grips. Heated it with a propane torch and slowly ran it down the broken plastic. I did this on a sharp angled portion of an air box and it held together no problem. It didn't look too pretty on close inspection but I didn't care.

Depending on how big the crack is you could easily do this yourself. I'm also going to hazard a guess that you don't really care too much about the appearance afterwards given the age of the quad. I'd also say use the stitching method with drilling holes and using zip ties or safety wire.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Get ahold of a Drader welder it will repair most polymers. It was invented by Drader company in Edmonton. It looks like a auto nailer gun and any fool can use it and produce good work.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:23 PM

http://www.northwestpolymers.ca/inde...hk=1&Itemid=30

I bought the HD80cti professional kit.

Repaired the floor in my side by side where a log came up through. and half a dozen other little jobs. Next is the slide releases on my Eskimo quick flip that cracked from being hit in the cold.
Sure they wont be the last things I need to fix,
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM

Try these guys DH. They have done plastic welding for us in the past
http://www.dmplastics.ca/services.htm
Old 03-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Default plastic welder

if you have a soldering gun with a flat tip, that works, find a section on the quad plastics that is extra area that you can trim off and use as a plastic filler, but the thing I have found is you cant get the strength back , the stitching idea works well but, use a wire or nylon fishing line. In my opion
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Have you tried getting in touch with ReCycle in Stony Plain? They may be able to source out a used replacement for you.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM

I have a plastic welding tool. I bought it for my fishing kayak. All that you need is slivers of plastic from your existing piece. PM me.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied you have given me some good leads and I have learned a fair bit talking to the guys who do the work. The biggest problem is finding a similar material to make the stick out of as my color is quite scarce it seems, 1997 Suzuki King Quad with beige fenders. So as mentioned previously I think it will be welded with what ever color and then Line-X Thanks again. D.H.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:06 AM

my color is quite scarce it seems,

I just repainted my fender after I welded it with the plastic stick and a soldering iron.

Grizz
Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 AM

If you could see me in action with a paint brush you'd give the nod to Line-X. D.H.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM

hey Dave there is a guy in Sylvan who has a plastic welder you probably know him too .p m me i will give you his name and # if you want
Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I have a plastic welding tool. I bought it for my fishing kayak. All that you need is slivers of plastic from your existing piece. PM me.

Roughneck you are 100%! Bravo!
David Henry, you owe it to yourself to accept his invitation as he clearly knows what he's talking about!