Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Power install for a new parcel of land

Does anybody know how this works when there is no power line close by? I think the major expense is to get power poles in. Would we need to pay for every single pole to the lot?
We are looking at a piece of land but there is no power line running along the road, just further up (maybe 1-2km away?)...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM

I know to run gas in Jarvie area its a flat rate, around $6500 for 100 meters or 3 kms. Not sure if power is the same way.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Depending on location of property call Fortis or the local REA give them the LSD or lot block and plan numbers and they will give you a cost Depending on where you are it could be a bit of a wait to get installed. Most of the time home owners will take priority over oilfield but sometimes it can be a pain depending on who else is looking for power
Old 05-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Phone 310- WIRE (9473) and ask any of the friendly people there. They will answer your questions.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 PM

We needed about a mile, we're told between $10-$30k,
Depending on if region power Co would cover some.
Been using gennie ever since we heard those numbers.

TBark
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Just like 7mm08 said, call 310-wire, tell them what you want and someone will be in touch with you to give you a quote for what it will cost. Then you decide if you want to go ahead with it
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Just built acreage last year 1000$ per pole and every 100 yards they put one
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Cost me $60,000 to run 2 km of 3 phrase 30 yrs ago. The REA low interest financed it.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Default Ag rebate

There are rebates/cheaper rates if it is for ag purposes so be sure to mention this if the place is to be used for any type of agriculture.
Matt
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Just had fortis come by my place today. There has to be a guide wire every 30 meters. The more guide wire, the more $. I am only going 83 meters from pole. I'll let you know what they come back at me with.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Cost me 40,000$ to run 700m thats in the M.D of big lakes
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Ugh expensive.

Thanks for the info!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM

Smile This can be very expensive.

I guess that you know that already. There are people who live "off the grid". As long as you aren't running a power hungry business it is possible. Our ancestors lived very well without ac power.

It may be an option for you.

One of my relatives near Redcliff had a Fairbanks- Morse engine that ran on nat gas for electricity and that is what lit the house.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I guess that you know that already. There are people who live "off the grid". As long as you aren't running a power hungry business it is possible. Our ancestors lived very well without ac power.

It may be an option for you.

One of my relatives near Redcliff had a Fairbanks- Morse engine that ran on nat gas for electricity and that is what lit the house.
I would love to go off grid. Solar power would be my choice. But I don't see that happening right away. Too much $$$.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 AM

Default Solar?

Solar would be great but in this Latitude I think a combination of solutions may work better. That would be wind, solar and geothermal.

Depending on where you live there may be other options.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Fortis, can you say monoply

When you only have ONE company to deal with the price seems to be STUPID!
The quote I got form Fortis was $25,000.00 to run power 770 meters. Plus I had to get a easement from 5 property owners to put the line on their land plus give them AN OPEN P.O. TOO CLEAR THE TREES! Then one has to add the cost of the line from the last pole to the cabin.
I WAS IN FRICKING SHOCK.
So, I have two generators, one 3000 Honda and one 6000 Generac that runs on liquid propane, hooked up to my 1000 gal. tank, both in a little shack behind the cabin.
I have a bank of batteries and an inverter which will start the Generac if the batteries get to low and then shut it off when they are charged.
I have priced solar panels and I can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of them. For me, there most weekends and the odd week at a time this works great. If you want more detail PM me.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 AM

Well, I guess I will check with them. But if it's really $40k+ just to install we might be better of with a solar system + batteries or generator too.
At least we pay only once.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Solar would be great but in this Latitude I think a combination of solutions may work better. That would be wind, solar and geothermal.

Depending on where you live there may be other options.
Why? Tons of sunshine hours! If it works in Germany, it would work 3x better here. Talk about overcast and less intensive sun. Germany is dark like a cave compared to here.

Edit: Here is a comparison: http://www.cansia.ca/solar-energy-101

Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Fortis

I should add, with the generator/battery set up there is no paying high service fees every month!