Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Default Quanto's Law

From the Edmonton Sun

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/1...aw-in-edmonton

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in Edmonton on Monday to announce the introduction of Quanto’s Law, new legislation for harming service animals.

Harper Monday morning visited the Vallevand Kennels, named for the founder of the Edmonton Police Service Canine Unit, but reporters were barred from asking questions. The law is named for slain Edmonton city police dog Quanto, who died from multiple stab wounds Oct. 7, 2013, after biting the left arm and hand of a suspect who was attempting to flee from police.

“Quanto’s violent death is a powerful and sad reminder of the dangers that law enforcement animals often face in assisting officers to protect Canadians and communities,” Prime Mnister Stephen Harper said in a press release. “This legislation honours those faithful animals and emphasizes the special role that they play. Our Government is committed to ensuring that people who willfully harm these animals face the full force of the law.”

Quanto’s Law could cover harm to law enforcement, service and Canadian Armed Forces animals, including dogs and horses.

The amendments to the Criminal Code would mean a maximum five years imprisonment and a minimum of six months in prison where a law enforcement animal is killed while enforcing the law. Harper’s visit follows promises from the 2013 throne speech.

Canine unit Staff Sgt. Trevor Hermanutz said he’s happy with how quickly the legislation has come forward.

“When it comes to law enforcement animals, everyone loves animal and I think that goes right from us, and to the lawmakers, and to yourselves included,” he said. “I’m pretty happy with the way it went and very happy it happened and especially at a time when we need it.”

Quanto’s killer, Paul Joseph Vukmanich, 27, pleaded guilty to animal cruelty, flight from police, possession of a dangerous weapon, impaired driving, resisting arrest and possession of stolen property. In addition to 26 months in prison, Vakmanich is banned from pet ownership for 25 years and driving for five years.

Quanto helped in more than 100 arrests over his four-year career with the city police service.

Harper was joined by his wife Laureen and federal Health Minister Rona Ambrose.

“This legislation also recognizes the vital role that service animals, such as guide dogs, play in helping persons with disabilities benefit from a better quality of life and lead more independent lives,” Harper said in the release. “This sends the message that violence against service animals is unacceptable and those who commit such callous acts will pay the consequences.”
Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 AM

Its a great step in the right direction...
but only a min of 6 months, is pretty sad. Takes alot more then that to train one, not to mention the time, effort, emotional and financial investment...
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 AM

PR feel-good legislation, nothing more. I don't want to think about what it cost to put that together, I mean, how many service animals have been killed in the line of duty? Has there been an epidemic I've missed?. And we already have animal cruelty laws, evading arrest laws. I would think a combination of those should be sufficient. There are about 100 more important peices of legislation to be passed. How about a new law for the kids that get mauled or killed by dogs? battered women?

Added edit: Don't want to sound too harsh. I'm not a police dog hater and I don't mind throwing some extra jail time at criminals, but it's a puff piece of legislation.

Last edited by Okotokian; 05-13-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
PR feel-good legislation, nothing more. I don't want to think about what it cost to put that together, I mean, how many service animals have been killed in the line of duty? Has there been an epidemic I've missed?. And we already have animal cruelty laws, evading arrest laws. I would think a combination of those should be sufficient. There are about 100 more important peices of legislation to be passed. How about a new law for the kids that get mauled or killed by dogs? battered women?
How true.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM

It's not going to deter a criminal from doing what ever is necessary to escape the law. So what good is it other than to make the animal lovers, feel like they've accomplished something.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
It's not going to deter a criminal from doing what ever is necessary to escape the law. So what good is it other than to make the animal lovers, feel like they've accomplished something.
One more charge they can hit him with? Maybe keep him in jail a couple days longer?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:34 AM

What a bunch of bs i would fight in court if an animal attacked me criminal or not. If that guy had any kind of lawyer he would not have plead guilty to cruelty to animals. What if they were arresting the wrong guy would he have had to submit to this animal attacking him i dont think so its only a crime if connected to another crime not a crime by itself wont stand up in court i say why do politicians always make stupid feel good laws
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
What a bunch of bs i would fight in court if an animal attacked me criminal or not. If that guy had any kind of lawyer he would not have plead guilty to cruelty to animals. What if they were arresting the wrong guy would he have had to submit to this animal attacking him i dont think so its only a crime if connected to another crime not a crime by itself wont stand up in court i say why do politicians always make stupid feel good laws
I am fairly certain the law doesn't apply to service dogs randomly attacking random people going about lawful business.

So - what you are saying is - during the commission of a criminal act, you would kill the police dog that "attacked" you. Then you would have your lawyer ensure you did not plead guilty to cruelty to animals because in your expert legal opinion it would not stand up in a court of law?

You keep strange idols and strange fantasy's Marxman.

I will agree its a feel good piece of legislation, however the tangent you have drifted upon makes me 2nd guess my opinion on the need for the legislation.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Perhaps it is noteworthy that 5 years for killing a police dog is 3.5 years more than the Millet woman got for killing her two kids.

We show value in our police dogs. Now, we can start showing value in our humans.

Im quite happy with Quantos law. It will be a good comparison model.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

Liberals love this kind of stuff.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I am fairly certain the law doesn't apply to service dogs randomly attacking random people going about lawful business.

So - what you are saying is - during the commission of a criminal act, you would kill the police dog that "attacked" you. Then you would have your lawyer ensure you did not plead guilty to cruelty to animals because in your expert legal opinion it would not stand up in a court of law?

You keep strange idols and strange fantasy's Marxman.

I will agree its a feel good piece of legislation, however the tangent you have drifted upon makes me 2nd guess my opinion on the need for the legislation.
Exactly, but not because im a dog killing criminal but because the law i think is unethical
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Banned

When i would sic my dog on someone i would get charged
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Banned

Canine partners whether it be for police or military are generally held in higher esteem by their human counter parts.
These partners perform tasks that would be more dangerous to their handlers.
Whether it is seeking mines in a battlefield, or helping to capture a dangerous criminal, these animals do indeed put their life on the line for the purpose of helping people.
These brave dogs are not volunteers they are chosen for their capabilities and specific attributes and then trained to do a job.
Which they perform without hesitation and without knowing the consequences that could befall them.

You ask any cop or any soldier who handles these animals or even those who are in close when these animals perform their tasks and they will tell you that they do not consider them 'just dogs'

They are an officer, a cop, a soldier,a grunt no different than their human counter parts. They are loved and cared for and become partners as well as family members.
And just like any member it is hoped that they do their job that day and come home safe at the end of it.

So to enact a piece of legislation that imposes harsher sentences on those who regard these dogs as just animals is welcome. Because there are individuals who feel they can do them harm because they won't receive a punishment.
Better to harm the dog because it's a just a dog.

If you are on the business end of a canine partner then chances are you did something to deserve to be there.
Police dogs do not go around biting people for the sake of it.
Nor are they sent loose after somebody without plenty of warning by the handler to surrenders one self.
If you do not give yourself up, then that canine is coming after you. And if you think harming that partner is justified because you were too stupid to give up well then you deserve to spend time behind bars licking your wounds.

My self I welcome this new legislation, I feel it is long over due.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 AM

At the end of the day this animal is just a dog. A dog with an important job, but a dog just the same. Let's put in harsher penalties for child molesters, drug dealers and other turd balls first. The people who do real harm to society, we can worry about dogs later.

That's a nice picture above. Shows the ridiculousness of society and a massive waste of taxpayer dollars. There are about 20 uniformed officers there, at what, about $50/hour each to the taxpayer, plus transportation and probably a funeral and a wake after. A murdered human doesn't get that kind of send off from the police, but we gladly support it for a dog?

Time for us to take a step back, open our eyes, and reevaluate what our society stands for.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
At the end of the day this animal is just a dog. A dog with an important job, but a dog just the same. Let's put in harsher penalties for child molesters, drug dealers and other turd balls first. The people who do real harm to society, we can worry about dogs later.

That's a nice picture above. Shows the ridiculousness of society and a massive waste of taxpayer dollars. There are about 20 uniformed officers there, at what, about $50/hour each to the taxpayer, plus transportation and probably a funeral and a wake after. A murdered human doesn't get that kind of send off from the police, but we gladly support it for a dog?

Time for us to take a step back, open our eyes, and reevaluate what our society stands for.
X2
Criminals do not go out with the intention of killing a police dog, It is a reaction of self preservation.
These dogs are trained to go into these dangerous situations, because it maybe too dangerous for a police officer and the dog is more expendable.
So now lets cry for the poor dog.
This is a trained attack dog doing his job, which could be fatal for the dog, but protects the police officer. If people don't want the dog hurt it should not be placed in that situation. Use the dog for tracking purposes only, and not for attack. Use more highly trained Police Officers for this purpose.
Dogs should never be trained to attack people.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
X2
Criminals do not go out with the intention of killing a police dog, It is a reaction of self preservation.
These dogs are trained to go into these dangerous situations, because it maybe too dangerous for a police officer and the dog is more expendable.
So now lets cry for the poor dog.
This is a trained attack dog doing his job, which could be fatal for the dog, but protects the police officer. If people don't want the dog hurt it should not be placed in that situation. Use the dog for tracking purposes only, and not for attack. Use more highly trained Police Officers for this purpose.
Dogs should never be trained to attack people.
Good points and i was going to point out the wishy washyness of etowns post where he makes the claim that the dogs are equal to humans yet the assumption is still there that they are expendable. Which is it and if we cant reconcile the two then maybe our law was good enough
Old 05-14-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Perhaps it is noteworthy that 5 years for killing a police dog is 3.5 years more than the Millet woman got for killing her two kids.

We show value in our police dogs. Now, we can start showing value in our humans.

Im quite happy with Quantos law. It will be a good comparison model.
Yep, what a sad way as a society to show the worth of a human life. Kill a kid, no big deal; mess with the rule of law and watch out.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Exactly, some low life broad can kill her two children, but because they didn't work for the cops or government, they're not as important as a dog. I don't care if these officers view this dog as "more than a dog", its still a dog and harming it should bring NO WHERE NEAR the punishment what taking the lives of innocent defenseless children should What a flippin joke!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Arrow Penalties

Quote:
Let's put in harsher penalties for child molesters, drug dealers and other turd balls first. The people who do real harm to society.
The penalties are there. We just need the judges to apply them. If the penalties that are on the books were applied, we may have a lot less repeat offenders. For example break and enter into a residence is punishable by up to life in prison. Most times the offender, once convicted, only gets a few months sentence, then gets out early due to parole requirements. Said offender is back on the street to re-offend, breaking into our homes, vehicles, etc.

Mr Conservation
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I feel sorry for you that you never have experienced the bond between handler and his dog.

Pretty sure there is no rule stating that if a society is to have harsh penalties for crimes against service animals - we must treat other criminals with kid gloves. When did this become a trade?

In regards to the picture? Can you enlighten us in regards to its back story or are you just speculating?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I feel sorry for you that you never have experienced the bond between handler and his dog.

Pretty sure there is no rule stating that if a society is to have harsh penalties for crimes against service animals - we must treat other criminals with kid gloves. When did this become a trade?

In regards to the picture? Can you enlighten us in regards to its back story or are you just speculating?
I BS, if a handler is so emotional attached and in love with that dog then he should not put him in harms way.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:

I've owned dogs my entire life. My current one is lying beside the chair right now. I'm also a father, in no way does that dogs life rank higher than my kids or anyone else's kids lives. Punishing criminals is a good thing, but punishing crimes against an animal more severely than crimes against a human is asinine. I feel sorry for people who can't differentiate between an animal and a human.

The dog that is in the picture is named Kaiser he was a 2yr old German Shepard, put down due to kidney failure. A google search found that info for me. Is your google broken? Oh, and another google search revealed that most police dogs don't enter service until around two years of age. The question that now needs to be answered is, why the huge police send off for a dog that most likely never served in the capacity it was trained in? I'll leave the response to you and your google machine.

Society that seeks to protect a dog more than it's children is doomed to fail.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 05-15-2014 at 01:27 AM.