Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 06:45 PM

Default German tourist that was shot in the head in Alberta left paralyzed, attempted murder charge dropped

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
After shooting a German tourist in the head in what might have been a case of mistaken identity, the 16-year-old shooter yelled "we caught a body," one witness said during his testimony at the boy's trial in Calgary.

A 17-year-old boy is on trial, facing charges of aggravated assault, assault, and three firearms-related offences. His identity is protected by a publication ban under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Horst Stewin, 61, is paralyzed on his right side and still has trouble speaking after eight bullet fragments were removed from his brain last summer, 20 days after he was shot while driving on Highway 1A west of Calgary.

Several months ago, a charge of attempted murder was dropped by the Crown after prosecutors decided there was no reasonable likelihood of conviction.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 PM

No doubt he’s probably a good guy
Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 PM

He’s been trying to turn his life around....
Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Banned

oops.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 PM

I said at the time that this sounded like a gang initiation rite. It’s come out now that the driver coerced the kid who was in the back seat to shoot. I still think it was an initiation.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM

A year or so in detention if convicted, and he can resume a life of crime. He will likely cost the taxpayers over a million dollars between the police, courts, prison etc, unless we are lucky and he dies young.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM

News showed him walking into the courtroom, if there's remorse he isn't showing it. Him & a couple wingers swaggering in like they just shot a guy & got away with it!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A year or so in detention if convicted, and he can resume a life of crime. He will likely cost the taxpayers over a million dollars between the police, courts, prison etc, unless we are lucky and he dies young.
And the victim has his life changed for ever. Defended by Balfour Der, they don't come any better, we're paying for that as well, no doubt.

Grizz
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM

The only way the shooter would be held accountable, is if a friend or relative of the victim took him out in revenge. And then that person would be punished like a serial murderer.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Default Shooter

As my friend would say Hhhmmm can you say Morley IR!!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
And the victim has his life changed for ever. Defended by Balfour Der, they don't come any better, we're paying for that as well, no doubt.

Grizz
I wonder how that little skidmark can afford him.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 PM

I can't believe they dropped the Attempted Murder charge. Not sure how the Current Government is getting tough on crime when you can shoot a person whos driving and get away with a slap on the wrist. I guess we will see
Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
You mean they don't come any worse. The scumbag (Der) pathologically seeks to defend the worst sociopaths that Calgary has to offer. My intuition tells me that he just wants to flex his legal 'muscles' to feed his own overgrown ego. Its certainly not to help society because the most of the high profile ones that he's represented would be at their best swinging from a gallows.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 PM
Banned

We will see him in the news again. Hopefully deceased.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
We will see him in the news again. Hopefully deceased.
That why they allow bail and let them roam again .. hopefully Darwin will take care of em .
Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 AM

A wonderful representation of the finest Canada has to offer the world
Old 07-16-2019, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
That why they allow bail and let them roam again .. hopefully Darwin will take care of em .
"They" allow bail and let the criminals roam the streets because "they" need repeat customers to fuel the judicial system.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranets View Post
Wait for it...the turd will throw money at him for wrong doing.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
"They" allow bail and let the criminals roam the streets because "they" need repeat customers to fuel the legal industry.
Fixed it for ya.

There is no worse creature on the face of the earth than a Canadian judge. Liberal, self important, authoritarian arseholes who work hand in hand with the royal gestapo to attack and suppress anyone who doesn’t have a magic card. But if you do have that card, “oh gosh sorry, here’s a 2 week vacation in a lodge and a free buffalo”
Old 07-16-2019, 07:13 AM

That makes us look “so good” internationally... What that does to our tourism industry is beyond belief.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranets View Post
No kidding. I expected the court system to make an example out of this POS to instil international confidence in our legal system instead the system once again confirmed that some Canadians are more equal than others.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM

I wonder if they charged him with a pile of firearms offenses?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM

I just dont understand how you cant get an attempted murder charge for shooting someone in the head, way to go Canada.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That makes us look “so good” internationally... What that does to our tourism industry is beyond belief.
I'm going to post it on the German forum I frequent. die Indianer in Kanada sind noch gefaehrlich

Grizz
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Banned

So...if I want to kill someone, say Jack, all I have to do is shoot him and then say 'I didn't mean to kill him, I thought he was John', I'll get a lesser sentence.
Good to know.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You mean they don't come any worse. The scumbag (Der) pathologically seeks to defend the worst sociopaths that Calgary has to offer. My intuition tells me that he just wants to flex his legal 'muscles' to feed his own overgrown ego. Its certainly not to help society because the most of the high profile ones that he's represented would be at their best swinging from a gallows.
If you don’t understand why a robust defence is a benefit to the legal system, there isn’t much hope.

If you were ever charged with a crime, you’d be scrapping the piggy bank to hire one of the people you love to call scumbags
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM

From the article, call me not surprised:

"Under cross-examination, the witness admitted to Der that he had initially lied to police and on the day of the shooting was drunk and high on meth".

"The accused was arrested on the Stoney Nakoda First Nation west of Calgary about three weeks after the shooting. Last year, the teen was released on bail but breached his release conditions and was re-arrested".

I'd like to know what bail conditions were breached.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM

I can't believe the attempted murder charges were dropped.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
If you don’t understand why a robust defence is a benefit to the legal system, there isn’t much hope.

If you were ever charged with a crime, you’d be scrapping the piggy bank to hire one of the people you love to call scumbags
The big difference is most people here don't go out shooting people to settle a score.
Only scumbags need scumbag lawyers...and there are very few people, on both sides of the political spectrum that don't feel that our justice system has serious flaws.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 AM

I've been following a murder trial in Medicine hat a young man was shot in the back of the head.
When the trial starts in Dec. it will be 3 years since the event occurred the scumbag keeps firing his lawyer and playing the system because he gets double time for time served in remand by the time the trial is over he will get a short sentence in the sweat lodge.

Our "justice" system needs a serious overhaul