Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Then you could be charged with fail to report lost or stolen firearm.... exactly what are you missing or not comprehending?
The point being that a person often doesn't discover that something is missing, until they go to find it, and it isn't there. Do you think that these people knew immediately that these firearms were missing, or do you suppose that this was discovered in some type of audit?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I think what he means is that some people might not know that they are lost or missing until they have to produce them.
Exactly!
Old 07-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Not sure where or how you store your firearms but I am 100 % sure I would know if I had a break in resulting in my firearms being stolen. If I lost the firearm while hunting or forgot it at the range I fairly sure I would know about it.

What you guys are describing is a very unlikely event unless the person is involved in something criminal like firearms trafficking
Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure where or how you store your firearms but I am 100 % sure I would know if I had a break in resulting in my firearms being stolen. If I lost the firearm while hunting or forgot it at the range I fairly sure I would know about it.

What you guys are describing is a very unlikely event unless the person is involved in something criminal like firearms trafficking
Firearms trafficking? What if a trusted person stole the firearm from the home, a person accidentally left one at the range or in their car and it went missing from there? So it's "firearms trafficking" for Citizens when they go missing but not when Law Enforcement loses them?

Edit, Here's a scenario..... A person is showing a relative a few of their firearms from a large collection and the relative puts a pistol in their coat when the owner goes to another room to get something and doesn't notice that it's missing until the Police ask about it when they are at the home for an unrelated reason. Yes, it's unlikely- but you would think that it's also unlikely that Law Enforcement would lose track of machine guns- but obviously it does happen.

Last edited by New Hunter Okotoks; 07-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Firearms trafficking? What if a trusted person stole the firearm from the home, a person accidentally left one at the range or in their car and it went missing from there? So it's "firearms trafficking" for Citizens when they go missing but not when Law Enforcement loses them?

Edit, Here's a scenario..... A person is showing a relative a few of their firearms from a large collection and the relative puts a pistol in their coat when the owner goes to another room to get something and doesn't notice that it's missing until the Police ask about it when they are at the home for an unrelated reason. Yes, it's unlikely- but you would think that it's also unlikely that Law Enforcement would lose track of machine guns- but obviously it does happen.
True story , that happened to a member at my former club. He was working away from home at a camp job for several months. There were some marital issues going on, and when he finally got home and decided to head out to the range to shoot, his gun safe was empty. His wife was the only other person that had access, and when confronted, she told him that she had sold his firearms, including the restricted firearms, months ago. He reported this to the RCMP, because he was afraid that since she could not have sold the restricted firearms legally, she may have sold them to criminals. The RCMP told him that this was a domestic issue, and not their problem. Those firearms could have been used to commit a crime, without the owner having any idea that they were missing.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:

You mean “unlikely” just the way I described the scenario in my previous post? Usually the police will get the “oh it must have been stolen” after the firearm is recovered in a search warrant.

But there have been incidents (not like you described) but where a son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter involved in criminal activity have taken a gun without the owners knowledge, but it is not the norm.

To be realistic police issue firearms are rarely stolen and if they are it makes national news. What do you think they are trying to hide?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
True story , that happened to a member at my former club. He was working away from home at a camp job for several months. There were some marital issues going on, and when he finally got home and decided to head out to the range to shoot, his gun safe was empty. His wife was the only other person that had access, and when confronted, she told him that she had sold his firearms, including the restricted firearms, months ago. He reported this to the RCMP, because he was afraid that since she could not have sold the restricted firearms legally, she may have sold them to criminals. The RCMP told him that this was a domestic issue, and not their problem. Those firearms could have been used to commit a crime, without the owner having any idea that they were missing.
Did he get arrested or charged? I mean doesn’t that happen to everyone that reports a lost or stolen firearm?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Did he get arrested or charged? I mean doesn’t that happen to everyone that reports a lost or stolen firearm?
He didn't because his wife admitted to selling them, and the really stupid thing is that she wasn't charged for selling restricted firearms that were registered in his name, so the firearms were not legally transferred. She didn't even have the names of the people she sold the restricted firearms to. That made no sense at all.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He didn't because his wife admitted to selling them, and the really stupid thing is that she wasn't charged for selling restricted firearms that were registered in his name, so the firearms were not legally transferred. She didn't even have the names of the people she sold the restricted firearms to. That made no sense at all.
Sometimes it doesn’t
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Yet it is implied (read go to jail or pay a stiff fine) that we... Joe and Jane citizen are suppose to know these rules... when the people using these rules every day don't know the rules...Yup makes perfectly good sense...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.