Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Actually the 4 games were split 2-2 with the Flames being +2 in the GF/GA category.
Oh I'm aware, I was just being polite, cause, deep, deep down, once you get past the Oilers stuff, Moose is actually pretty good guy.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
The only silver lining from a Flames perspective is if Neal doesn't come around. We got a "seriously declining player" who still put up more points than Neal did, playing on a much worst team. That being said, I agree that Neal has a way better chance of recovering his play. I feel the chances of that happening are small, but significantly better none the less. Not sure of the point of the ownership/billionaire, etc. comments. The Riddel portion of the Calgary ownership group has a similar net worth as Katz alone, let alone the remaining owners. Pretty sure Calgary's ownership group has a greater net worth than Katz and could easily buy out Lucic if they so desired.

Sure they could buy him out but the continuing cap hit remains ugly. That was the biggest problem with Lucic' contract and why they didn't do it this off-season or last. Only minimal cap savings. Calgary has relieved them of that burden giving up a player with a much more palatable buyout and cap implications with a better chance of being any kind of offensive contributor.

If they both get bought out after this season cap hit wise per year next 3 years:

Lucic - 4.9 m, 3.6m, 4.9m

Neal - 1.9, 1.9, 1.9

The total $$ for each buyout is similar but huge difference in cap hit for the first 3 years. That's the Oilers prime reason for doing this deal. Gaining cap room.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:20 PM

Good assessment 270, not arguing one is more buyout friendly, just seemed an odd comment to make that one billionaire could afford it but a group of billionaires couldn't. We are talking about the equivalent to you and I losing $10 vs $20 here.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Good assessment 270, not arguing one is more buyout friendly, just seemed an odd comment to make that one billionaire could afford it but a group of billionaires couldn't. We are talking about the equivalent to you and I losing $10 vs $20 here.

I think any NHL owner can afford it but it needs to make sense on the gained cap space side. Oilers are picking up 12.5% of his salary and thus his cap hit or it'd be close to his annual salary of 6m for those 3 years. Around 5.6 per year. That's why the Oilers hands were tied. Untradeable...or so folks thought until Friday, no movement clause, no cap relief gained.

Chiarelli was a total putz. Hard to imagine a GM could be that incompetent. Must have been a Calgary plant.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Looch get the cast off his leg yet?
Not sure, how's McCrutches doing?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Not sure, how's McCrutches doing?

Training with Gary Roberts....and James Neal.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sure they could buy him out but the continuing cap hit remains ugly. That was the biggest problem with Lucic' contract and why they didn't do it this off-season or last. Only minimal cap savings. Calgary has relieved them of that burden giving up a player with a much more palatable buyout and cap implications with a better chance of being any kind of offensive contributor.

If they both get bought out after this season cap hit wise per year next 3 years:

Lucic - 4.9 m, 3.6m, 4.9m

Neal - 1.9, 1.9, 1.9

The total $$ for each buyout is similar but huge difference in cap hit for the first 3 years. That's the Oilers prime reason for doing this deal. Gaining cap room.
The shames got screwed! Love it! Holland out foxed Treliving big time. He also buys the guys in the minors time to develop. Worst case we give up a dud and a 3rd round pick.

Looch doesn’t play hard against his old teams. Evidenced by how he did nothing when Doughty was all over McDavid last January.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 07-20-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I actually really do think the Shames needed a tougher, better presence on the ice and in the locker room.
Hopefully Looch will stand up for his little boys (Johnny n Monny) and the teams expensive pet turtle ON the ice. As well as hold the whiner pretty pros boys accountable in the locker room (again.. Johnny n Monny n Turtle boy).

Can’t wait till the Kass vs Looch tilt!

It might just be possible that Kass could become uglier...... hard maybe there.

I agree.... Neal is a lazy slug as per last season.... buy your missing the point. The dudes got something to prove. We just need one season with a good 20+ goal scorer.

We’ll get that then we can leave him unprotected for Seattle to grab... or buy bye him out with little impact.

Flames really just needed muscle for one year. Turtle boy will reach puberty soon and fill out like his dad (hopefully not fat...!.. lol). Then he’ll be a tough rough power forward that can step up and damage people.

My worry honestly for the Oil is we only got Kass and Nurse who’ll asnswer the bell.

No ones really scared of that..... could be a problem.

We need to teach the German to kick some das boot!

In both teams cases..... if the zebras would just call the stuff that gets done to Johnny and McD on a regular basis..... especially in the playoffs.... both teams would be way better off.
knew there was a reason i like you bess.........you always sound like someone i'd like to meet over coffee
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Banned

i'd like to hear tre's rationale to this trade......he's shown everyone he's not a stupid man, so there must be something in the back ground here that we're missing. only wish i could figure out what it is!

guess only time will tell.

boa
Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
knew there was a reason i like you bess.........you always sound like someone i'd like to meet over coffee
Me too !!
Old 07-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Default Bessie... you forgot

Khaira is no shrinking violet either...

Here he is beating a guy up after a hit on Pakarinen: https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/140098

Here he is beating a guy after a chep shot on Pool Party: https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/137338

Here he is sawing off a tilt with Michael Haley after he gave Kassian a cheap shot. Haley led the league in fights that year: https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/140098

He doesn't win em all, but he's 6'4 215 lbs, takes no crap, and sticks up for his teammates. I hate to say it, but Lucic let so many guys wash McDavid's face with no retribution that it was maddening. We've got the bases covered.

Make no mistake, other than Ryan Reaves, I think Lucic was the baddest hombre in the league, but the game doesn't allow for a nuclear option that can't skate.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Oh yea..... forgot bout dat guy.

Maybe we’re in pretty good shape.

I heard Neal had a nasty streak. I never saw it.... but here’s hopin eh?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oh yea..... forgot bout dat guy.

Maybe we’re in pretty good shape.

I heard Neal had a nasty streak. I never saw it.... but here’s hopin eh?
We are okay toughness wise. The rest of the team????
Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Do you guys need your own thread? Asking for a friend......
LOLOLOL

Straight and I will put my love for the nest team and organization in the NHL to the side. At the same time, I will put my disgust and negative feelings for the oilers to the side as well.

Right this second I feel like we were taking out back of the wood shed and beat like a rented mule on this deal.

Disappointed, confused and sitting here in wonderment.
Time will tell I guess. I hope that BT has a better handle on all this than I can figure out. Thats why he gets paid and got us this far.

So other than that, see you boys SAT, SEPT. 28, 2019 Its the last Pre season game so both sides should be going full out.

One thing I am really disappointed in reading today. Neal and McJesus working out together??? F THAT... Show some loyalty you useless plug. Don't let the door hit you on the way out... Perhaps best if such players are shown the door no matter the cost.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
If only Oiler fans had a place to go talk Oilers.. Wonder if that place exists??
Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 PM

$8m in actual cash savings is only rationale i could think let alone Neal and Peters benching him especially in playoffs soured Neal. I don’t like this trade whatsoever but Neal was fricken horrid with the flames so we’re not loosing anything. Maybe Lucic can be a big body and atleast be a presence. But what a anchor for $5.25m

Quote:
i'd like to hear tre's rationale to this trade......he's shown everyone he's not a stupid man, so there must be something in the back ground here that we're missing. only wish i could figure out what it is!

boa
Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If only Oiler fans had a place to go talk Oilers.. Wonder if that place exists??
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
That other thread is dead
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:

boa
My opinion on why Treveling traded him was Neal was livid on his part of being in the bottom 6 even though he deserved it. Every week you heard or saw heated discussions between either Peters or Smith with Neal. You can’t have that animosity on a team so one has to go. We needed a bit of toughness so why not trade for the big guy up north as much as it pains me to say it.
What will be fun is watching Neal and Smith go at it even more on a different team other than the Flames.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
$8m in actual cash savings is only rationale i could think let alone Neal and Peters benching him especially in playoffs soured Neal. I don’t like this trade whatsoever but Neal was fricken horrid with the flames so we’re not loosing anything. Maybe Lucic can be a big body and atleast be a presence. But what a anchor for $5.25m
Nope. That makes no sense. Your owners are also billionaires. You could have bought out Neal and SAVED cap space. Treliving only did it because he thought it was a good hockey deal. I would be so choked as a Flames fan. I just can't believe that Treliving couldn't have gotten a tough guy thrown in as part of a trade for Brodie or whoever has to go to clear cap space to sign your RFAs. The days of a nuclear deterrent are long gone. And believe me fellas. The guy rarely stuck up for the players he was in large part paid to protect. When he did it was awesome, but most times he sat on the bench and nursed his hangover.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Lucic frustrated the hell out of me. I remember how he could singly turn the balance of a game back in the day kind of like Cam Neely used to as a Bruin.
With that said, yes they are millionaires playing a game but I can relate being stuck in a job where I didn’t fit in and no longer wanted to be there. I hope both Neal and Lucic prosper.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Nope. That makes no sense. Your owners are also billionaires. You could have bought out Neal and SAVED cap space. Treliving only did it because he thought it was a good hockey deal. I would be so choked as a Flames fan. I just can't believe that Treliving couldn't have gotten a tough guy thrown in as part of a trade for Brodie or whoever has to go to clear cap space to sign your RFAs. The days of a nuclear deterrent are long gone. And believe me fellas. The guy rarely stuck up for the players he was in large part paid to protect. When he did it was awesome, but most times he sat on the bench and nursed his hangover.
There are no tough guys anymore. You have guys now that pick their spots.
Twist is retired, Brown is retired and Probie is gone...
Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
To be fair as an Oiler player I'm sure most of the team nurses lots of hangovers. It's how they cope with the situation.
I do wish we held Neal for one more season but I don't think him and Peter's saw eye to eye.
Peter's knows what Neal should have been putting out and obviously wasn't.
Suck as typically that's the kind of player we need. Size and skill. Hopefully he continues to shat beds all next season again.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM

The Gary Leeman for Doug Gilmour trade was the worst in Flames history.

Treliving: "Hold my beer."
Old 07-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Treliving should be forced to go on holidays in July.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Default !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

Zzzzzing!!!!!!

Lololol!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

Enjoy it Oiler fans, this trade will be the only thing you guys win this season.
At least it appears that way, nothing for sure u till the season starts.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:05 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-21-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Enjoy it Oiler fans....

I'm not an Oilers fan.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:46 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/5669033/n...ive-agreement/

Well things looking good so far on some new digs. I hope this goes through without a hitch. This city needs a dang boost, get some concerts going and cool events that just pass us by. As a hockey fan of course we need a rink, hopefully better seating. I also love the whole 35 year commitment, so we can skip all the moving of the team (which never took serious) but nice to have it put aside.