Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Alaska from Vancouver cruise

Looking for recommendations, which line, time. Which lines to stay away from.
Any advice is appreciated. This is for 50th anniversary. Thank you
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Celebrity

Just got back from a cruise on Celebrity Equinox. Loved every single thing about it, particularly the lack of kids. Best, most relaxing holiday ever. Have cruised with Princess in past. No comparison.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 PM

I've gone twice on Holland America. No kids either, mostly older peoplekind.
Food and service was great.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 PM

Did this trip in 2016 with Holland Lines. Good trip, enjoyed it. Make sure that you don't go in the fall as it is the rainy season. Took the narrow gauge railway from Skagway to the top of the pass. Took the crab boat trip at Ketchikan and then all the crab you can eat. Make sure you get a cabin with a balcony.

Just as an aside, another good North American cruise is from San Francisco to San Diego, Ensenada, Mexico, Long Beach, CA and Santa Barbara, CA and back to Frisco.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Alaska Cruise

We went from Vancouver to Alaska and returned to Vancouver on Princess one year and Holland America, the Volendam ship and there was NO comparison.
Volendam is a smaller ship that holds 1400 passengers and it was nice, great food, great rooms and entertainment was awesome!!

For the price difference, be sure to get a balcony!!

Gabby.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 AM

I was in Skagway with a bunch of glazed eye cruisers in town, 3 ships, left as fast as I could. The cruise ports are little more than tourist traps, in fact ghost towns after the season ends.

Grizz
Old 07-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Recommend Jul or Aug. It's cold on the deck in Jun.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I was in Skagway with a bunch of glazed eye cruisers in town, 3 ships, left as fast as I could. The cruise ports are little more than tourist traps, in fact ghost towns after the season ends.

Grizz
Correct, but people don't go on cruises to "explore" the countries the ports are in. Go for a walk, check your email, have a nice cup of coffee, and buy a fridge magnet, then back on the ship to eat some more. That's about it
Old 07-20-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Correct, but people don't go on cruises to "explore" the countries the ports are in. Go for a walk, check your email, have a nice cup of coffee, and buy a fridge magnet, then back on the ship to eat some more. That's about it
We always do the side trips when at port but, it gets a bit expensive. If you don't take the side trips, all you are doing is going for a boat ride.

Having said that, on the Alaska trip, my wife and I had dinner with a widow from Vancouver who takes the cruise every year but never leaves the ship until it docks back in Vancouver.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby61 View Post
For the price difference, be sure to get a balcony!!

Gabby.
I've never understood the appeal of the balcony. Not much to see except for the few minutes you're arriving/leaving a port, of which for one you're likely going to be on the awrong side.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:40 AM

On one right now. In Ketchikan today, takin the 9 year old on a guided fly fishing trip for the day. Seeing lots of whales, seals and dolphins. Can't wait to get on land haha
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 AM

I went on the cruise to see the scenery of the inside passage and to eat lots of food. Yes the ports are tourist traps with trinkets but it's nice to get off the ship and stretch your legs. The side tours are very expensive but then your are better off driving the Alaska road to see the rest of Yukon and Alaska. If you want a balcony room they usually have discounts on these rooms once you get on board (if they haven't been sold).
Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Could you guys add a bit more to the OP's question and include any trips excursions you really enjoyed? Any stores that us outdoorsmen/women don't want to miss seeing?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
We always do the side trips when at port but, it gets a bit expensive. If you don't take the side trips, all you are doing is going for a boat ride.

Having said that, on the Alaska trip, my wife and I had dinner with a widow from Vancouver who takes the cruise every year but never leaves the ship until it docks back in Vancouver.

We do excursions too. Sometimes just a cab to the nearest beach. Sometimes more. You are right it does get expensive.