Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You had to know when you asked this question that you wouldn't get an answer, just opinions. Usually in favour of whatever the responder drives at the time.

Once you find out what the best truck is, you should ask what the best color is.

Be different, get a Unimog. That's what I suggest.
Believe me I would, but them things are alot of work, I don't need extra work in my life, and I don't think I could get used to the ten shift knobs, you're right though, but I know the people on here can offer a little more insight than the alot of people I know who never leave the pavement. Heres the truck I wish was made, one with quality of the chev, the storage of a ram and the engine (ecoboost) and fuel economy of the ford, which ever is closest to that is the one I want hahaha
Old 11-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Buy the best deal you can find at the time when you're in need of a new truck regardless of make and use the damn thing until the doors fall off. Vehicles are such a ****poor investment that you're far better off leaving your money sitting in the bank at 0% interest.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:42 AM

So interesting thread. Is there anyone making a quad cab with a full 8' box. If there is, that is the truck I would be interested in. I just don't see owning a truck with less than 8' of box and have to drive 3/4 tons to get it. They don't ride near as well as a half ton but I put up with it for the room in back.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
if i was buying a gas half ton it would be a chevy , because its comfortable and pretty .
I pulled one of those 2017's Chevs out of the ditch last night with my titan. Nissan is at the top end of the list.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Picked up an F-150 XLT Sport Fx4 with 6.5' box recently. Really like the truck and the features. Got the 5.0 V8 engine it has a lot of getup and go.

LC
Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
I pulled one of those 2017's Chevs out of the ditch last night with my titan. Nissan is at the top end of the list.
Pretty sure the Titan isn't even on the list.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
I fail to see your point. Any one of the trucks can pull out any of those other trucks. So the guy driving the truck in the ditch this time happened to be a Chev. Next time it could be a Nissan, maybe even yours. Maybe a Ford will have to pull you out

Test drive any and all that are in your price range. Truth be told they are all good but have their own quirks. Same as a rifle, a bow, a fishing rod, a boat, or anything else in life. It comes down to what you prefer.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

Just sold an 06 f150 with 29,000 km on it, I could pull that truck to Edmonton and back with my dodge cheaper than I could drive it. It got horrible fuel mileage. I’m sure they must have improved or they would never sell. That being said when I bought the dodge I went to two chev places, two ford and two dodge, all comparably outfitted and bought from the hungriest dealer, this time it was a dodge.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

So anyone know what the deal is with the ecoboosts engine shuting off when you put your foot on the barke for like over 5 seconds, then when you take your foot off the brake she fires back up, must be some planet saving thingy me bob, don't know how much I like the idea of my vehicle shutting down in the middle of a busy street though
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
So anyone know what the deal is with the ecoboosts engine shuting off when you put your foot on the barke for like over 5 seconds, then when you take your foot off the brake she fires back up, must be some planet saving thingy me bob, don't know how much I like the idea of my vehicle shutting down in the middle of a busy street though

Lots of new vehicles do this. I think ford might be the only domestic one. I think a guy should sell starters for them, might make a fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
That would be enough to keep me from buying one. That would make for a lot of unnecessary wear on the starter, and other components in city traffic.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=wildbill;3669256]Believe me I would, but them things are alot of work, I don't need extra work in my life, and I don't think I could get used to the ten shift knobs, you're right though, but I know the people on here can offer a little more insight than the alot of people I know who never leave the pavement. Heres the truck I wish was made, one with quality of the chev, the storage of a ram and the engine (ecoboost) and fuel economy of the ford, which ever is closest to that is the one I want hahaha[/QUOTE

The few people I know that had Ecoboost Fords never bragged about the fuel economy and have since gone back to V8’s.

Based on my last GM, I can’t imagine using the word quality to describe it.

I can’t speak to the Ram’s storage.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That would be enough to keep me from buying one. That would make for a lot of unnecessary wear on the starter, and other components in city traffic.
You can turn that off

LC
Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM

For 50 years I’ve been a die hard ford guy and still am, but a few months ago I bought my first Toyota Tundra (just cause I always wanted to try a Toyota) and I have to say I’m very impressed with this truck and love driving it. (When my wife don’t get to it first) the fuel mileage is very compatible to any Ford if had, it’s getting 20mpg and it has a new crate motor in it so should only get better as time goes by. Wish I would of tried out the Toyota’s a long time ago..

Jim..
Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Just sold an 06 f150 with 29,000 km on it, I could pull that truck to Edmonton and back with my dodge cheaper than I could drive it. It got horrible fuel mileage. I’m sure they must have improved or they would never sell. That being said when I bought the dodge I went to two chev places, two ford and two dodge, all comparably outfitted and bought from the hungriest dealer, this time it was a dodge.
Reminds me of my father in law, doesn't like Mazda because the Mazda 323 he had in the 90's was a piece of junk. There is no point in trying to explain to him that that was 30 years ago, the 323 doesn't exist anymore, and things have changed.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can turn that off

LC
Good to hear that is an option. If the new ecoboost with 10 speed proves to be reliable, it is a powertrain that I may consider if I don't like what Toyota offers in 2019. My Tundra has been Great, but they just don't compete anymore as far as fuel consumption goes.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Good to hear that is an option. If the new ecoboost with 10 speed proves to be reliable, it is a powertrain that I may consider if I don't like what Toyota offers in 2019. My Tundra has been Great, but they just don't compete anymore as far as fuel consumption goes.
I wasn't sold on the Ecoboost for towing so I went with the 5.0L V8.

LC
Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

to be honest never test drove a tundra, might have to give her a whirl, one thing about the ecoboost was the power I had a 2016 rental in the spring and took off the traction control to see how good she'd light em up (like i do with all rentals, duh), that was the insanest smoke show i ever seen a rental do, like totally blocked the highway with smoke, i smile now, as i did the day layed that patch!
Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You had to know when you asked this question that you wouldn't get an answer, just opinions. Usually in favour of whatever the responder drives at the time.

Once you find out what the best truck is, you should ask what the best color is.

Be different, get a Unimog. That's what I suggest.
Best color is White of course....
Silly question...
Old 11-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Dodge half ton with the v6 if you don’t have heavy trailer pull it’s a great unit. Gets great meilsge went with the dodge it was cheapest out ford and chev which are the local dealerships. In my opinion there all built the same not that well.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Best color is White of course....
Silly question...
My last three trucks were dark blue, white metallic, and now black. I wouldn't do any of those again given a choice. Silver, sand, beige, etc. Something that doesn't show it as dirty the minute you drive away from a car wash.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I don't choose a truck based on looks, I choose reliability and features such as power, mileage etc. If I had to purchase a truck today, I would likely go Ford with the ecoboost and 10 speed, because even though I have had bad luck with Ford reliability in the past, it was a long time ago, and I believe that they offer the best engine/transmission. However, if Toyota offers a new engine that offers comparable fuel mileage in 2019, I will seriously consider another Tundra based n the reliability of my current Tundra and our other Toyota vehicles. I also like the configuration of the Tundra Double Cab, as it offers an adequate rear seat for my uses, with a real forward opening door, and still offers a full 6-1/2 foot cargo box, with a wheelbase and overall length comparable to the Ford Supercab.
Might be some good deals next summer on the 2018 trucks when the 2019 Tundra's come out.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM

I have a Ram 3500 diesel right now, but if I was to go and get a gas truck it would be a Toyota Tundra hands down. Took one for a test drive and absolutely loved, just about got rid of the diesel to get one. I've heard lots of stories about those trucks making it to 400,000+ kms
Just my 2 cents
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM
AO Sponsor

I am on my second F150 now that I just bought in the beginning of October. I have almost 7000km's on it now and so far it is the best truck I have ever owned. I went with the 5L because it is probably one of the most solid, well proven engines out there. With 385HP it has plenty of get up and go and with the 373 gears I am still getting typically 11.8 to 12.5 L/100km between fill ups city and highway combined (more highway). I like I was able to get a 135L gas tank too.

It is the first truck I have ever had that actually came with a relatively decent tire from the factory (Hankook Dynapro AT/M). It also has a few cool features for old knees like mine where there is a step that comes out of the tailgate and a handle for ease of box access and the cleats for tying down are plentiful and solid.

Also with the Ford, I find their Sync system to be absolutely the best voice recognition system I have ever used. I have had a few vehicles with factory bluetooth etc and none have worked as well and seamlessly as the Ford system. Lot's of cool little things like being able to start my truck from my phone with fuel level reports etc all there, and if I happen to lock my keys in the car (has happened a couple times over the years lol) I can unlock it from my phone as well.

All in all I think what you get for the money is tough to beat.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM

My Rams have always been good to me except each has had exhuast manifold fixed at 65-85k.

All the trucks selling now are good, comes down to preference. For me it came down to saving $15k on a comparable Chev/Ford. and much more for the Yota Tundra.

Saw someone say they're getting 20mgp out of their tundra and I find that real lofty. I've driven many miles in the latest series and they avg at 17L/100km all day long. My Ram does 13L /100 at 70/30 City/Highway driving
Old 11-20-2017, 01:48 PM

I have a 2017 Titan and I can adjust my Headlights up or down. Just sayin.

Dodger
Old 11-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
My Rams have always been good to me except each has had exhuast manifold fixed at 65-85k.

All the trucks selling now are good, comes down to preference. For me it came down to saving $15k on a comparable Chev/Ford. and much more for the Yota Tundra.

Saw someone say they're getting 20mgp out of their tundra and I find that real lofty. I've driven many miles in the latest series and they avg at 17L/100km all day long. My Ram does 13L /100 at 70/30 City/Highway driving
I know 20 is possible, but you have to be the type that pays attention to speed limits. But that is after only 210,000 Kms, it may drop off beyond that. Still below the other manufacturers mileage by quite a bit.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:31 AM
Banned

I’m still driving my 2003 F-150 with a 5.4 Triton and heavy towing performance chip. I am dreading the day I have to give up the old girl. I am at 320,000 and it just meeps running strong and with very few issues and never anything major. The fuel mileage is better now than it was the first 100,000 kms and it has always been much better than my friends 5.4’s plus with the chip in it the poser and torque are phenomenal. We run a fleet of 100+ pick ups at work, mostly Ford with some Chevs and my nod goes to the Fords as the issues with them seem to be smaller ones. Still the newer Fords aren’t near as good of trucks in my opinion as my old girl.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

Took a Tundra for a test drive yesterday, just seems they are pretty plain Jane, not overly impressed with the layout,and storage was virtually non existent. When I got to about 100km/ph there was a wobble, I could see the steering wheel moving approximately 1" side to side, it felt pretty rigid for a 1/2 ton though. They didn't really hit it out of the park with me, felt like a big tacoma with leather and a rear window that rolled down, and no power jack in the box like the tacoma. So currently I've got a 2017, ford 150 rental (for work) and a 2017 ram rental (insurance) now I'll have have to test drive the new silverado, to get the final piece of the puzzle.