Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Calgary Green Bins and Hunting and Composting

Remember folks that you can put bones, hide/skin, innards, blood, paper towel, fur etc. into your green bin for composting. Technically most don't need to be bagged as they shouldn't fly away in the wind.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...reen-Cart.aspx
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 PM

My wife and I investigated this two weeks ago.

311 said bones are fine, but carcasses are still a no go. Definite grey area, as a gutted, de-boned, broken down carcass - is essentially just bones.

I found the most helpful information on animal disposal here:

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...e/Animals.aspx

One can only assume that animal carcasses, body parts, etc can be mistaken for human and eventually waste public resources by calling the authorities to investigate. Along with associated bio-hazard risks.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 PM

bones are fine. in it goes.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM

If I'm going to be forced to pay for that bin...every animal carcass i get will be deposited therein. The city can deal with it at that point.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:17 PM

From the city website:

Recycling and disposal search tool.

Locate your item in the A-Z Listing

Disposing of animals

Small animal carcasses and pet remains

Put small animal carcasses (e.g. birds, mice, fish, rabbits) in your green cart for composting.
For pet remains, The Calgary Humane Society and many private companies provide animal cremation services. Otherwise, take your pet remains to a City landfill. Staff will help with disposal if requested.

Large animal carcasses

Take large carcasses or parts (e.g. deer, moose, elk, sheep) to a City landfill for disposal.
Tell scale-house staff what you have. They will give you directions to the designated disposal area.

Cattle carcasses

Take cattle carcasses or parts to a City landfill for disposal. Landfill locations listed below.

Please note the following parts are not accepted:
  • Skull
  • Brain
  • Trigeminal ganglia (nerves attached to the brain),
  • Eyes
  • Tonsils
  • Spinal cord
  • Dorsal root ganglia (nerves attached to the spinal cord) from cattle aged 30 months or older
  • Distal ileum (portion of the small intestine) from cattle of all ages
Contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at 1-800-442-2342 for information on disposing these parts.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Whoopsie. I plopped everything from the cervical collar to the tailbone )minus the ribs and rest of the bones) into the green bin last week.

There's always next year.

I can understand the concern with spreading disease.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Disposed of the bones from a deer last week in my Green Bin...froze to the bin. Guess they will be their till spring.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM

I suppose the landfill is the righ place for bones. A CWD infected animal might be a big Nono when that compost gets spread all over the land.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 AM

This winter, the City had a booth at either the Sportsman's show or the RV Expo to talk to people about the bins. I asked the guy about game carcasses and he said that they would be ok to put in the bin.
When we got our bin, my wife went to the website and saw that game carcasses are not allowed.

I would assume that this is because wild game is (generally) not inspected for disease.

It's not that big of a problem to take a carcass to the landfill.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 AM

After doing as the calgary website says to do, I took my carcass to the shepard landfill thinking they have a special place for carcasses of big game animals. NOPE...to the main lift it goes everytime I was told. So I think a decent solution is to put everything in the green bin except the rib cage. That could be split and black binned( for space )...everybody should be happy then.
My biggest beef is that they still charged me 20 to dispose of it! NEVER AGAIN! I already pay for 3 freakin bins and I will be using them from now on.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feener86 View Post
After doing as the calgary website says to do, I took my carcass to the shepard landfill thinking they have a special place for carcasses of big game animals. NOPE...to the main lift it goes everytime I was told. So I think a decent solution is to put everything in the green bin except the rib cage. That could be split and black binned( for space )...everybody should be happy then.
My biggest beef is that they still charged me 20 to dispose of it! NEVER AGAIN! I already pay for 3 freakin bins and I will be using them from now on.
This. Skull and Spinal column into the black. rest into the green.

They are referring to carcasses that don't fit due to Size issues. I also think the head and spine is referring to cattle as its formatted differently on the site. being the super smart outdoorsmen we all are, we know the issues of CWD.