Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Try the following: 165 g TTSX, trophy copper, GMX in your 30-06. Whichever shoots best, clean in between different loads as copper/copper alloy bullets tend to like their own fouling. Since they hold together there is less damage than a lead bullet. That being said, with almost any rifle if you center a shoulder you wreck it. The scapula spreads the shock and damages the meat.

I got sick of losing deer shoulders with my 308 and bought a 243 running 85 gr ttsx. Toonie sized entrance and exit, lots of blood in the ground, and if I nick a shoulder, I just cut 1-2 inches off.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Sorry for getting you in trouble. I didn't take offence to what you said. And thank you. I didn't get those geese alone. Had help from some great guys. I think one of them is on the forum and hides in the shadows. We did get our limit but I didn't shoot all those on my own, and going over limit haha.
I'm baaaaack
I figured you didn't take offense to me. I was able to read it all within context.

Did you decide on the non lead bullet? I've been thinking of going that route too out of my 300 wsm.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Non lead vs lead.

Here is a little video on fragmentation comparisons nonlead vs lead. I like the nonlead these days.
https://youtu.be/oZJXderphCM
It is a three part series.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 11-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Wait

What?

Huh.?
Oh ok ,
Can I get frys with that?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:04 PM

I use Barnes , have for 20+ years. Fast drop of game, usually 2 holes for drainage,tracking made easier-better blood trail and shorter distance to downed animal. Newer Barnes bullets leave less fouling and less barrel pressure due to grooves cut in the sides of the bullet. When you hit major bone it does not matter what you are using,there will be blackshot or bruised meat.There will be less meat loss with a bullet which does not completely fragment, like a lead bullet does. I however do not worry about lead being blown all over the place, as the copper based metal compound in the Barnes holds together. It's tough enough trimming black bruising-but knowing your bullet has dumped lead here and there made the switch over easier. Accuracy is great with both. I shoot a 7mm mag for moose/elk with a 160 and .280 rem with a 140 for deer. Both shoot at the same give or take velocity and ballistic point of impact at normal ranges. Moose/Elk with the 7mm usually go no more than 40 yards, often just flop on the spot. White tails seem to go further than Muleys but a good shot usually drops them within 50 yards.