Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Default Scope mounts

Anyone know where I can get a set of flip to the side scope rings? I have a set on a Winchester deluxe and wanted to put a new scope on it but the old scope was only 32mm vs the new scope is 40mm.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be good for the scope if I tightened those rings rings down on the scope tube because the rings don't make contact with each other on the screw side?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Your best chance of finding those tip off rings is at gun shows or in the buy&sell, as I am not aware of any manufacturer currently marketing them. That design was just a gimmick that never caught on, so it was discontinued. As for the screws, there should be a gap between the halves, they were designed to have that gap. Trying to tighten the screws to eliminate the gap would damage the scope, or break the screws or both.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Default what model ?

I have a set of tip-offs for a Win 100/88 in a box.........Harold
Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I have a set of tip-offs for a Win 100/88 in a box.........Harold
Leupold scope. As far as I know the rifle is just a Winchester model 70 "deluxe"
Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Your best chance of finding those tip off rings is at gun shows or in the buy&sell, as I am not aware of any manufacturer currently marketing them. That design was just a gimmick that never caught on, so it was discontinued. As for the screws, there should be a gap between the halves, they were designed to have that gap. Trying to tighten the screws to eliminate the gap would damage the scope, or break the screws or both.
I figured there should be a gap between the halves but that's what makes me unsure as to what spec to tighten them too since there is only screws one side. So hence only a gap on one side.

I kinda figured they weren't marketed anymore since I couldn't find them anywhere.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Actually they are still made. Weaver makes them for 22s with 3/8 groove and they make an adaptor plate to allow you to use them on other rifles.

Scope screw torque is 15 INCH pounds not foot. Torque info is right on the Weaver site.

You can still find old model Weaver tip offs for sale quite often. They were actually a pretty good mount and the scope went right back to zero went flipped back into place.

Reknagel still makes very high end, guaranteed repeatable swing and tip off mounts for Dangerous game and Wild Boar hunting. If you want a top of the line beautifully made mount get one of theirs.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

They have there purpose. The norm in the sixties and seventies.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:22 PM

I ended up purchasing Leupold rings and bases and started installing them today. I'm have trouble getting the rear base windage screws tightened down to the 45lb torque setting. As I start to tighten them the ring wants to twist one way or another.

Anyone local to Beaumont/south Edmonton have a scope mounting kit that could help me line them up correctly or even Lapp them if that would be a better option at this point?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
I ended up purchasing Leupold rings and bases and started installing them today. I'm have trouble getting the rear base windage screws tightened down to the 45lb torque setting. As I start to tighten them the ring wants to twist one way or another.

Anyone local to Beaumont/south Edmonton have a scope mounting kit that could help me line them up correctly or even Lapp them if that would be a better option at this point?
I am not on the south side but 15 minutes on the Henday and you are at ny place. If you cant find someone closer i have the gear to mount it properly and I have mounted many scopes. Let me know if you want my help.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Default please remove my comment

please remove my comment

Last edited by arhuomam; 09-18-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: please remove