Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 01:57 PM

you guys are an incredible bunch with a wealth of knowledge! this is the best thread of the season so far. thank you for sharing with all of us. I'm sure I will revisit this thread many times over the years...if it doesn't get deleted.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default A few

image.jpg

A few on the wood shed too...saw a 5X5 150 class last night, no luck this morning, needed to,warm up and eat then out I go...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Attachment 139755

A few on the wood shed too...saw a 5X5 150 class last night, no luck this morning, needed to,warm up and eat then out I go...
All that leg work is paying off for me too, I saw 8 bucks this week while still hunting. All of them were in thick timber at under 50 yards, most of them I saw before they saw me, which means I've gotten a little better even in the last couple years.

2 of them I probably should have shot, we got a moose this year however and I'm fine with not tagging one unless its a personal best, plus I don't really want to stop hunting yet anyways. I will say this however, trying to confirm antler size when hunting this way is a pretty tough thing to do. Since you're never going to really get a tine count or anything like that, my rule of thumb is to look at the ears first, then compare everything to the ears. Even still, when the encounters are close, short, and adrenaline fueled its tough.

I let one walk yesterday because I wasn't able to get good look at his rack, when he finally scented me and spooked I went over and looked at his running track, over 25' between bounds on flat ground. That one hurt a bit. The king of the forest doesn't necessarily always sport a 150" rack, he dresses out around 200 lbs or better and is smart as heck from surviving predation every single day of his life. When I manage to sneak up on him I take the shot and thank the hunting god's he was having a bad day. Yesterday I let him walk instead.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-17-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Hunt the edges.

Put a lot of miles on the boots the last few days. Saw 3 bucks today, one was a shooter. He and his doe had me pegged before I saw him.

One thing I will say is hunt the edges. By this I mean hunting the edges of different kinds of trees in big bush. Where it changes from pine, spruce to poplar, willow etc. is where the majority of the deer sign is. They seem to stick 100 yards to either side of the tree type change. Of course terrain change, changes everything (hills, ridges, creeks etc.) Just thought I would share.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

One thing I will say is hunt the edges. By this I mean hunting the edges of different kinds of trees in big bush. Where it changes from pine, spruce to poplar, willow etc. is where the majority of the deer sign is. They seem to stick 100 yards to either side of the tree type change. Of course terrain change, changes everything (hills, ridges, creeks etc.) Just thought I would share.
This is very good advice that I learned when I first started hunting from my father , trapping mentor, and another very experienced still hunter.
All three explained that the game trails follow the transition borders of spruce and poplar for example.
Even in deep woods you can find game trails by studying Arial photos and topo maps, we used this method when cutting trails into remote lakes on our fly in trapline.
Cat
Old 11-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Set up last night in a valley, low area with two large pine stands to my east/west...rattling a bit, grunting and had two visitors, not shooters, pepperoni bucks I call'em...give those fellas two more years...deep snow and they are real quit in that type of snow...but so am I!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2017, 10:00 AM

My 2017 bush buck.

Great post! I have been inspired my all of the great stories and strategies. Bush buck hunting is definately not for the lazy hunter! Shot this guy yesterday approx. 2.5 quarter sections from my truck in heavy timber/hills (foot access only).
After walking quietly in the bush all morning following deer trails, this guy crossed a very narrow trail around 70 yards in front of me, nose to the ground. I wasn't prepare to shoot...rifle on my shoulder, I quickly tried to get him in the scope but it was too late. He had already crossed into the bush on the other side. I let out a couple of doe bleet sounds hoping he would walk back out...no luck. So I quietly snuck up to where I last saw him cross. Suddenly I heard a branch snap behind me. He had doubled back and came back out on the trail 20 yard behind me! I cant believe he didn't see or smell me because now I was upwind of him. I shouldered my rifle and struggle a little to find him in the scope...he was so close! After the shot, he ran about 30 yards into the bush before expiring. Clearly in full rut with nothing but a hot doe trail on his mind definitely worked in my favour.
Now the hard work began. I drug him by hand for about 1/2 a quarter section. Too tire to continue that way, I decided to walk back to my truck and get the sled. 3.5 hours later, got him loaded.
Lots of foot miles and hard work, but a nice bush buck makes it worh while!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk