Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Default PAL application

Hello everyone. I just moved to a new area of Alberta last year for work. I decided to take the firearms safety course this past weekend. On the application form it asks for two references which normally would be fine but since I've only been in this area for a little over a year any references I would use wouldn't be able to sign the form. Is this okay or should I find a way to get them to sign off first?

Thanks
Urban
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM

use people who know you from your previous area. They have to have known you for 5 years I think. Doesnt matter where they live.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Use a family member.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 AM

If they don't need to sign the form then I'll use them. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nightmare View Post
If they don't need to sign the form then I'll use them. Thanks.
Pretty sure they need to sign the form. If there is a spot for them to sign, don't even bother sending the form in with that blank.

I believe you could fax the form and have your references sign it and then fax it back. A fax signature should be acceptable.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
Pretty sure they need to sign the form. If there is a spot for them to sign, don't even bother sending the form in with that blank.

I believe you could fax the form and have your references sign it and then fax it back. A fax signature should be acceptable.
They need to have known you for the past 2 years. They also have to sign the forms. It can be anyone you have known for the last couple years or a family member.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Your references MUST sign the application. References must have known yourself for two years in the least and may not be your current "conjugal partner".

Strange and insane?!

Of course. This proces is horrid yet must be suffered if you wish to abide by the law. I recommend mailing your application to someone who fits the bill and can sign. Then have that person mail it to another. Then, that second individual can mail your application back to you. At which point you can complete the application, mail it to the CFP and be prepared to wait extensively.

Best of luck! I sincerely feel for you and hope it will be alright eventually. Please stay the course and do not give up!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
use people who know you from your previous area. They have to have known you for 5 years I think. Doesnt matter where they live.
A year or two after moving to Alberta from SK I upgraded my PAL to restricted so I could buy handguns. I had to reapply with references so I used several from back in Saskatoon. I emailed my bro the application, he filled his stuff out, signed it and took it to the homes of some other friends and they did the same then he mailed it to me. I got my wife to be the final reference.

I'm not sure about whether or not faxed signatures would be ok but a quick call to the PAL guys and they could tell you (1-800-731-4000)
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-28-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm in the exact same boat. Took my course recently in Spruce Grove and all my family and friends are back in BC. After I move this weekend, I'll be faxing mine back west to get signatures then send it off. It's just not worth the hassle of trying to find people and long lost connections.

SARTech
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Banned

had the same issue when i moved, i got my second reference (halifax) to print off the application sign itm scan it and send it to me. i printed it off and sent to CFO no problems
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone. I kinda thought I would need to get them to sign. Guess I'll splurge on some postage.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nightmare View Post
Thanks everyone. I kinda thought I would need to get them to sign. Guess I'll splurge on some postage.
From the responses it looks like fax would work just fine. I'd go that route if it needs to go a long way. It would definitely speed the process up.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

A PAL is something that takes a very long time to come through... Waiting for the mail is the least of the time factors when it comes to dealing with the CFP.

I am glad you are going for the mailing option. There is no need to give the CFP any way to further delay or possibly even deny your application over a matter of signatures. I would never give them the option of saying my application could even be remotely considered incomplete or inaccurate.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

The reference must have known you for three years, just checked my copy of the pal app I sent off last week. Without a doubt they will have to sign.