Less than 20 4 11.76%
20 17 50.00%
25 8 23.53%
30 4 11.76%
Give me the rhinehart 100 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 PM

Default How many targets do you like to shoot per round in 3d

As the title says how many targets do you like to shoot per round in a 3d shoot with three rounds? I think the standard is 20 but i see some shoots are shooting 25 or 30 per round. What do you prefer?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 PM

I voted 25, but I have to admit that it really depends on how many people are at the shoot. If it's a big turnout 25 targets can take a long time.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 PM

On an outdoor course 20-25 is pretty standard. All depends on how the course is managed. For instance, put all the trads on one course...mix the compounds on the other two courses, spread them out with buffers in between groups.

LC
Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Shooting with my kids I prefer 20 targets. The extra 5 or 10 can really add a lot to a day.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:07 AM

I guess that would all depend if one was shooting by themselves and /or with a couple buddies...then 30 would make a nice day..

In a large shoot with many shooters, than 20 will a good round...

In the large shoot if there is two rounds in a day even less than 20..

I personally think that 60 arrows plus a couple warm up shots a day for a shooter is peaking an archer with accuracy and muscle fatigue.

Personally I think a Vegas round of target vise 5 spot is better for an archer,
After three arrows muscles can strain...A Vegas round is 3 arrows for 10 ends or rounds for a total of 30 arrows...generally if one shoots two Vegas rounds back to back the first round will score higher...

5 spot which is five arrows for 12 rounds for a total of 60 arrows takes good muscle form training and lower poundage bows...

Bow hunters that use their hunting bows to shoot target or 3D at the same weight they hunt with, most will be higher poundage than the shooters that only shoot target so those in that 60-70 lb range can fatigue themselves and end result is bad habits, so more arrows rounds isn't always a good thing for the bow hunter.
JMHO

Neil
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I guess that would all depend if one was shooting by themselves and /or with a couple buddies...then 30 would make a nice day..

In a large shoot with many shooters, than 20 will a good round...

In the large shoot if there is two rounds in a day even less than 20..

I personally think that 60 arrows plus a couple warm up shots a day for a shooter is peaking an archer with accuracy and muscle fatigue.

Personally I think a Vegas round of target vise 5 spot is better for an archer,
After three arrows muscles can strain...A Vegas round is 3 arrows for 10 ends or rounds for a total of 30 arrows...generally if one shoots two Vegas rounds back to back the first round will score higher...

5 spot which is five arrows for 12 rounds for a total of 60 arrows takes good muscle form training and lower poundage bows...

Bow hunters that use their hunting bows to shoot target or 3D at the same weight they hunt with, most will be higher poundage than the shooters that only shoot target so those in that 60-70 lb range can fatigue themselves and end result is bad habits, so more arrows rounds isn't always a good thing for the bow hunter.
JMHO

Neil
While I agree that fatigue can lead to bad habits/ injury, a typical round of 20 targets will take between 1.5 to 2.5 hours, depending on how many shooters are on the course and what classes are shooting. This meant ms you will fire an arrow about every 4 or 6 minutes. I personally feel that that is plenty of time to recover between shots.

Indoor shoots, on the other hand, typically have 3 shot stations with a 4 minute time limit. I know from experience that at the end of the round on a 27 target course I am pretty tired. I never feel that way after an outdoor round.

Norm
Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
On an outdoor course 20-25 is pretty standard. All depends on how the course is managed. For instance, put all the trads on one course...mix the compounds on the other two courses, spread them out with buffers in between groups.

LC
x2
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-27-2016, 01:08 PM

The Rinehart 100 must take all day with 50 -100 targets and that many shooters...

Neil
Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The Rinehart 100 must take all day with 50 -100 targets and that many shooters...

Neil
I have heard stories of 8 plus hour days on the course. I can't imagine. At least you get to shoot 2 arrows per target!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:41 PM

back in the day all 3d shoots were 2 arrows per target
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
back in the day all 3d shoots were 2 arrows per target
I think almost all known yardage shoots are today.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 PM

2 rounds of 20 in 5-6 hours is a lot, especially with 15-20 warm up arrows.
I use my hunting bow at 64 lbs so that many shots gets a little tough to keep the form up for those last few shots.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:

LC
I'm with lefty...20-25 is great and manageable for timing groups and after round activities.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
I'm with lefty...20-25 is great and manageable for timing groups and after round activities.
I agree that 20-25 is standard and manageable. I was looking for peoples specific preference though for feed back for our local club for target setup at shoots. For example if the majority likes 20 targets go with 20. Or if the majority likes 25 go with 25. Lets just assume that both are managed well for people and spacing.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayM77 View Post
I agree that 20-25 is standard and manageable. I was looking for peoples specific preference though for feed back for our local club for target setup at shoots. For example if the majority likes 20 targets go with 20. Or if the majority likes 25 go with 25. Lets just assume that both are managed well for people and spacing.
I like a couple extra targets...hopefully I can make up for a couple poor shots

LC
Old 07-06-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I like a couple extra targets...hopefully I can make up for a couple poor shots

LC
Or you could get tired and make a couple of poor shots with those extra targets.... Be brave lefty through out a specific number, personally I like 20, but that's just me.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayM77 View Post
Or you could get tired and make a couple of poor shots with those extra targets.... Be brave lefty through out a specific number, personally I like 20, but that's just me.
Yah that is also true, most outdoor courses are 60 targets 3x 20 but I wouldn't mind to shoot 3x 24.

LC
Old 07-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yah that is also true, most outdoor courses are 60 targets 3x 20 but I wouldn't mind to shoot 3x 24.

LC
At a lot of indoor shoot we shoot 9 stations of 3 targets and that is manageable, and under a fairly short time frame too. Anywhere from 20 to 25 targets should easily be doable in an outdoor venue.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 AM

In the 80's we could shoot up to three arrows at a given target...until your arrow scored, 1st arrow X was a 12...but second arrow X was only worth 8....etc, lots of good bow hunters and shooters then but nowhere the accuracy of todays shooters...overall per group

Neil
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
In the 80's we could shoot up to three arrows at a given target...until your arrow scored, 1st arrow X was a 12...but second arrow X was only worth 8....etc, lots of good bow hunters and shooters then but nowhere the accuracy of todays shooters...overall per group

Neil
they were all cardboard cut outs and 90% of shoots you had to use board heads....
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
they were all cardboard cut outs and 90% of shoots you had to use board heads....
LOL ..spent many a night making them for shoots...lol
that or cardboard critter over a tentest fibre board range Target

Neil