Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 PM

Default Archery exercises

What kind of archery exercises do you do to prepare you for the season? Is just practicing and pulling your bow alot all that you need. Or do you like to do some outside exercises as well maybe in terms of weights or resistance bands? I personally like to try and build up before the season with some weights as i feel that it helps. Strengthening the shoulders and so on. What do you like to do? Im curious about of those of you who do use weights or bands, what kind of exercises do you do with them that are aimed to help with your archery.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 PM

Stretches before shooting...shoot often.

LC
Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 AM

Any exercise is a good thing as long as one doesn't hurt themselves, I use a resistance pull to warm up, but basically just shoot often, as much as one can, its not only physical exercise you need but also mental...shooting lots with good form gives you both.

Neil
Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 PM

I think you get the most benefit from doing full-body compound weight training. An easy/simple/free program like Stronglifts - and it only takes a little bit of time every other day (Squat, Bench, Bent Over Row, Deads, Military Press).

Add in some stretching, anything that targets your shoulders and back, and perhaps some pushing/pulling lifts and things strengthen up quick, particularly for pulling back a bow.

I imagine a TRX/suspension trainer would also go a very long way as well. I know that I personally can't do a pull-up to save my life, but with the TRX I can do many different pulls/body weight exercises that target the same muscle groups.

45 minutes, three days a week, wouldn't need much more than that!

Now building up your cardio, endurance, stamina, for backpack hunting... that is another story for sure.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:29 PM

keeping the shoulders and back muscles are key.
After a quick warm up, I do pushups whenever I can, do 25 at time, keeps the muscles toned.
shoot as often as you can, during the summer I shoot 25-30 arrows 4 or 5 times a week with a couple times as many as 50-60 during 3D league night.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Slow and easy and lots of warm up exercises and stretches especially if you havent shot in awhile.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Trx and shooting the bow in basement at the block for 30mins.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 AM

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Five_foo...oot_straighter
Old 06-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Wasp archery put this article out a while back. A surprising amount of people forget about working out your core.

https://www.wasparchery.com/blog/bowhunting-exercises
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 PM

Just shoot. If you get out and shoot often it is likely more than the average person does to get prepared for the season. I shoot at least 5 times a week. A lot of 10 yard stuff in my garage, but if you shoot a dozen or so arrows 5 or 6 times a week concentrating on form and execution you will be benefitting way more than going to the gym and exercising, stricky as an archer. Practice with a purpose and you will be fine.

Jmo.

Norm
Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Just shoot. If you get out and shoot often it is likely more than the average person does to get prepared for the season. I shoot at least 5 times a week. A lot of 10 yard stuff in my garage, but if you shoot a dozen or so arrows 5 or 6 times a week concentrating on form and execution you will be benefitting way more than going to the gym and exercising, stricky as an archer. Practice with a purpose and you will be fine.

Jmo.

Norm
excellent words to go by for a bowhunter
Old 07-01-2016, 12:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Overall body strength and conditioning program, shoot often, keeps the complete package all in tune for the season.
No sense just focusing on form, shoulder strength and shooting when you get winded just walking to your stand, barely make it up the tree and dont have nothing left to pull the bow...nor think clearly.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 PM

I shoot twice a week, may be three times a week before a big hunt. Other exercise that helps includes swimming, Muay Thai and yoga.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Overall body strength and conditioning program, shoot often, keeps the complete package all in tune for the season.
No sense just focusing on form, shoulder strength and shooting when you get winded just walking to your stand, barely make it up the tree and dont have nothing left to pull the bow...nor think clearly.
True know some that have a hard time walking a half mile from truck...great shots but seriously out of shape!

I know I have to take elk for a seven mile walk just to say good morning to them!!...lol
Neil
Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM

I agree too. Physical fitness is important. Moreso is knowing your fitness level and working within it to both enjoy your experience and hunt effectively.

Problem is is that the op asks about archery specific exercises, not if you can do a 5 minute mile to your stand and have a heart rate of 61 when you arive so you can make the shot.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I agree too. Physical fitness is important. Moreso is knowing your fitness level and working within it to both enjoy your experience and hunt effectively.

Problem is is that the op asks about archery specific exercises, not if you can do a 5 minute mile to your stand and have a heart rate of 61 when you arive so you can make the shot.
Agree....using the context of the OP, he is specifically asking about what exercises to do to enhance "shooting" his bow...not exercises related to "hunting".

LC
Old 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Agree....using the context of the OP, he is specifically asking about what exercises to do to enhance "shooting" his bow...not exercises related to "hunting".

LC
However 58thecat has a valid point...if you can punch X's all day standing still...good on you but if you walk 30 yards and couldn't hit the broadside of a chithouse if you were in it because your heart is beating out of your chest...than exercises to remedy that would "enhance" their shooting
just saying ...lol

Neil
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
However 58thecat has a valid point...if you can punch X's all day standing still...good on you but if you walk 30 yards and couldn't hit the broadside of a chithouse if you were in it because your heart is beating out of your chest...than exercises to remedy that would "enhance" their shooting
just saying ...lol

Neil
Yes of course... BUT does that answer the original question?

Comprehension...it's what's required to answer a question.

I mean he might be barefoot and not be wearing shoes shooting in a gravel pit...he can't retrieve arrows that way...let's discuss Vibram soles shall we

LC
Old 07-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Yes of course... BUT does that answer the original question?

Comprehension...it's what's required to answer a question.

I mean he might be barefoot and not be wearing shoes shooting in a gravel pit...he can't retrieve arrows that way...let's discuss Vibram soles shall we

LC
Sure...Vibram soles if not put near heat [campfires] will outlast leather to my Comprehension.....
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Sure...Vibram soles if not put near heat [campfires] will outlast leather to my Comprehension.....
Yes milk is good with Oreos

LC
Old 07-04-2016, 01:36 PM

.......In 1935, the deaths of six of Vitale Bramani's mountaineering friends in the Italian Alps was partly blamed on inadequate footwear. The tragedy drove Bramani to develop a new climbing sole.
Two years later, he patented his invention and launched the first rubber lug soles on the market with a tread design called the "Carrarmato" (~ "tank tread"), with the financial backing of Leopoldo Pirelli of Pirelli tires. The sole was designed to provide excellent traction on the widest range of surfaces, have a high degree of abrasion resistance and was made using the latest vulcanized rubber of the time.

In 1954, the first successful ascent to the summit of K2 was made by an Italian expedition wearing Vibram rubber on their soles.

Vitale Bramani= Vibram...

whew!!!

Good enough there Comprehension man?

Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
.......In 1935, the deaths of six of Vitale Bramani's mountaineering friends in the Italian Alps was partly blamed on inadequate footwear. The tragedy drove Bramani to develop a new climbing sole.
Two years later, he patented his invention and launched the first rubber lug soles on the market with a tread design called the "Carrarmato" (~ "tank tread"), with the financial backing of Leopoldo Pirelli of Pirelli tires. The sole was designed to provide excellent traction on the widest range of surfaces, have a high degree of abrasion resistance and was made using the latest vulcanized rubber of the time.

In 1954, the first successful ascent to the summit of K2 was made by an Italian expedition wearing Vibram rubber on their soles.

Vitale Bramani= Vibram...

whew!!!

Good enough there Comprehension man?

What does that have to do with exercises for shooting a bow?

LC
Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with exercises for shooting a bow?

LC
Absolutely nothing...but you wanted to discuss Vibram soles so I obliged...

Since we are back to exercises... the OP originally asked ...to quote.." What kind of archery exercises do you do to prepare you for the season? I personally like to try and build up before the season with some weights as i feel that it helps. Strengthening the shoulders and so on.."

as with weights or any good exercise ...walking /hiking prepares me for the season ..your heart is not beating out of your chest because your out of shape and breathing is more controlled ...main things that may help out my shooting and "Prepare me for the season"...

I already mention the "archery only" exercise???

But since anther valid point was mentioned by another poster I felt my comprehension warranted my opinion...sorry our comprehension's differ

Old 07-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
What kind of archery exercises do you do to prepare you for the season? Is just practicing and pulling your bow alot all that you need. Or do you like to do some outside exercises as well maybe in terms of weights or resistance bands? I personally like to try and build up before the season with some weights as i feel that it helps. Strengthening the shoulders and so on. What do you like to do? Im curious about of those of you who do use weights or bands, what kind of exercises do you do with them that are aimed to help with your archery.

Thanks
Re-read....this was the original question, context...

LC
Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
just saying ...lol

Neil
That's why I agreed it was important. I'm not arguing that. And that us why I also said it is important to recognize and work within your fitness level

Not everyone can be as physically fit as they need to be. You don't need to be able to run a triathlon or bench 300 lbs to enjoy archery hunting. If you arent in prime shape don't let it hold you back! That's all I'm saying! As far as archery specific exercises go, just shooting your bow lots should be all you need to do to be strong enough.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
That's why I agreed it was important. I'm not arguing that. And that us why I also said it is important to recognize and work within your fitness level

Not everyone can be as physically fit as they need to be. You don't need to be able to run a triathlon or bench 300 lbs to enjoy archery hunting. If you arent in prime shape don't let it hold you back! That's all I'm saying! As far as archery specific exercises go, just shooting your bow lots should be all you need to do to be strong enough.
Yup Knew what ya meant Norm...
Old 07-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Twenty arrows a night right after work at 30yds before fishin or ball in my back yard. Usually head to my friends two or three times a week where we can shoot as far as we feel like.