Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Bow Stag Hunt

This hunt was ceven years ago to the day I hunted a public land spot in the Wairapapa (southern end of the south island) and had two stags aggressively roaring. That day I shot one with the rifle. I decided to return to the same spot to see if I could get some more late roaring action, but this time with the bow.

The signs looked promising for the trip. New moon, weather clearing and nearly running over a deer on the way in convinced me I should see a deer or two

Reaching my first lookout I spotted a yearling after about 10 minutes. I was after a stag but decided with the bow I shouldn’t be too picky.

On the way to the yearling I saw another animal and when I got the binos on it I could see it was a nice stag. The excitement levels definitely picked Cheesy The stag was in a good spot for a stalk, small clearing with enough cover to get close. The problem was the wind, it was all over the place. I really didn’t think I had a chance in hell of getting close without being winded, but I didn’t really have choice . So off I went.

I closed the gap from 400 yards to 80 yards in no time. The next 40 yards took about 15 minutes, want to take my time was difficult as I didn’t trust the wind and just wanted to get close as fast as possible. The pressure was on and the adrenalin was definitely not helping.

Eventually I got to 40 yards and that was close enough, in fact it felt very close

Now I had to wait for a broadside shot. Luckily he was moving around a bit while feeding. I could hear him biting the grass and chewing. Now I’m not the most patient person and waiting for a shot was taking all my control. Finally I was broadside and once I got the sight on him he don’t look so close. I slightly rushed the shot but it was still good and he was down.

Here's where I shot from. He was in the middle of the clearing, and you can see where he fell. Look for the leg at the bottom of the clearing.

I took my time getting the meat and slowly made my way back to camp. The legs were fit after a recent fiorldand trip, but the knees felt every step. Back at camp I had a beer, a few whiskeys and cranked the party music up

This hunt was definitely one of my best. It was a massive sense of achievement to get such a clean kill on a stag using a bow
Old 07-02-2016, 10:22 PM

Awesome, really enjoyed this
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Great story on this one...good job all around...

Neil
Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Very cool!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...