Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Applying for draws without the hunter training course

Applying for draws without the hunter training course.
Can someone point me in the direction of where this question can be answered. My son is 12 and registered in hunter training course however it won’t be until July which will be after the draw date. Can he still enter without his hunter safety course?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 AM

From the draw booklet

Quote:
A person must be at least 10 years of age to hunt under the authority of a Youth Game Bird licence

.A person must be at least 12 years of age to hunt under the authority of a recreational licence.

Before obtaining any licence, all first-time hunters must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course.

Eleven-year-olds may apply in the draws if they meet the above requirements, and the season where the special licence may be used does not close before the applicant is 12 years old. If you can still do the first time hunter course online, I would have your son do so, in order to apply for the draws.

The fourth line seems to be stating that a person must meet the first time hunter requirements before being eligible for the draws.
All persons under 16 years of age must have the written permission of their parent or legal guardian to purchase a recreational hunting licence.
hunt with a firearm, a youth hunter (12 to 17 years of age) must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has written permission of the parent or legal guardian. See Federal Firearms Regulations below for more requirements

.If a youth who has purchased a youth licence turns 18 years of age after purchasing such a licence and hunting seasons are still open that year, they may still hunt under the youth licence for the remainder of the open season.
According to the fourth line, your son may not be eligible for the draws. If doing the course online is still an option, he still has time to get it done before the draw deadline.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking and is probably the best route but he is registered in the summer camp for hunter education. A requirement of that camp is that you do not already have your hunter training.🤔
Old 06-15-2019, 01:01 PM

I might be reading this wrong but what I get is that he has to pass the course before he can buy the license and he must be 12 before the season closes if he isn't 12 when he applies for the draw. Nothing I read says he has to have passed the course to apply in a draw, just has to have before he buys that actual license. I would think that at least a 999 draw should work. I would go online and try to put him in, that will tell you for sure. Other chpoice is to call RELM, I have always found them very helpful.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Probably get flamed for this but when you set up his profile, under hunter training certificate number just enter any number doesn’t matter. Then it will let you proceed to enter his draws. When he passes and gets his certificate go back in and edit his profile and put the certificate number in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
Probably get flamed for this but when you set up his profile, under hunter training certificate number just enter any number doesn’t matter. Then it will let you proceed to enter his draws. When he passes and gets his certificate go back in and edit his profile and put the certificate number in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless of course, the people running the system decide to verify all first time applicants. Then they discover the lie, and charges can result, as well as a license suspension. And starting out with a lie isn't the best example to set for a youngster. As to the applying without meeting the first time hunters qualification, you can always call F&W, but after the clamp down last fall on people that lied about meeting the first time hunters qualifications, I wouldn't be surprised if the system won't accept draws from people that don't qualify.