Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Sako Roughtech Range review

I thought I'd post a review of my latest rifle. It's my first Sako factory offering. It is the A7 Roughtech Range, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel is a 25" 1:8" twist medium heavy contour fluted design. The weight (without optic and bipod) is 9.25 pounds.

I really didn't need another 6.5 to load for, since I already have a precision custom build in 6.5x47 Lapua. But I kind of fell into this rifle deal and just could not pass up the absolute bargain on an unfired rifle.

What I've added is as follows. A Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 (moa) scope. I upgraded the original aluminum scope rails with steel Warne bases. Those rings are by Burris and have the 20moa inserts installed. You can see a very nice ATRS brake. I also had the sling swivels on the fore end replaced with a picatinny rail for more mounting options. And in this picture, I have one of my Atlas bipods (which got replaced - more on that later).

My first impressions were that the rifle felt comfortable on my first outing. I added a couple of spacers on the butt stock and got the length of pull satisfactory for me. The scope eye relief was also very nice, so I was off and running.

Load development followed. While there are a lot of people that say the Creedmoor round is easy to load for, it didn't go without some issues to begin with. The virgin Lapua brass, I have found, doesn't yield satisfactory results on the first firing. At least for me. While I have never had problems before, this time the neck tensions were very tight. Oh well, I had planned on annealing after round one anyways, so my first outing consisted of barrel break-in and scope zero. Which went as planned. The factory trigger is very nice. There is no creep and zero take-up. It breaks clean and crisp with a pronounced "snap". My estimate on the weight of the trigger pull is probably less than 3 pounds (damn, I really need a trigger pull gauge).

I did 6 different weights of Varget for my OCW tests. And then when the field narrowed, I also did two depth tests. What I came up with was a very nice node.

Here's my load information;

Brass: Lapua
Bullet: Lapua Scenar-L 136gr
Primer: CCI BR4
Powder: Varget 37.2gr
COAL (ogive): 2.281" (.010" jump)
Shoulder bump: 0.0015"
Speed: 2697fps -10 shot average, S.D. 4.3, E.S. 13

The results at 97m were 1/2moa. Temperature was 19c and R.H. was 43%. Wind was negliable. I was confident and headed off the short range to see what it could do a little longer out.

I entered the speed into my Kestrel and backed up the Applied Ballistics software with shots out to 300m, 500m and then 800m. Everything seems spot-on, at least to 800m. I will be taking the rifle out to the mile range to see just how it performs to a kilometre and beyond.

My impressions are favourable for this, my very first Sako factory rifle. The action was very tight to begin with but after 200 rounds, is as smooth as silk. The Sako bolt is a 3 lug design. The bolt handle has a nice large knob that is easily cycled. The safety has a pretty cool function too. When you have a round chambered, you can engage the safety which disables the trigger. But, you can manipulate the bolt and eject a live round without fear of the trigger breaking. You can also load another round, if you so choose. And the trigger will still be cocked.

What i don't like about this rifle is small. That stock. While I think it looks pretty and functions very well, the fore end is very flexible. It is almost to the point of being like a wet noodle. This gave me problems with the Atlas bipod to begin with. I ended up replacing it with an LRA Light Tactical, and the "flexy" fore end issue seems to have cleared itself up. The larger footprint and weight of the LRA solves this issue.

I did also get a the factory muzzle brake from the previous owner. But being from the "Swiss cheese" design bureau, I quickly sold it. I got ATRS in Calgary to install one of their big open gill designs. I have one of these on my .50BMG (quite a bit larger) and it works very well.

So my first Sako has potential. While I'm not yet finished stretching her legs out, I can say that I would offer a 8 out of 10 as my rating. As I mentioned before, I need another 6.5 calibre like a hole in the head. But I guess I can now join the masses and extol the virtues of this very popular caliber. For me this is only a target rifle, as I'm not a hunter. But, I beleive it would make a great deer or medium sized game gun. Or even a great varmint gun.

Last edited by 6MT; 05-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM

Thank you for the balanced, informative report.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Very Informative

That was an excellent review

Thanks
Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 PM

Dang those 6.5 rounds are sexy......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Dang those 6.5 rounds are sexy......
Thanks! Those are twice fired finished rounds.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Nice Review, very helpful
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Awesome looking unit fore sure...

So the factory stock had the wet noodle fore-end,,, or was it another stock that came with the rifle that was flopping around...

I see in your post that you changed it out with another one you had.

I bought a Remmy SPS last fall that came with a wet noodle fore-end,,, I just finished shooting the 3/4" challange with it after running 400+++ rounds down the pipe for break in...

So long as I kept it planted with bypod and bunny ear bag that dam thing would shoot...

I liked it for what it is,,, but another build showed up so its getting the punt... Ha

Thx for the write up 6MT,,, another helpful thread for all to enjoy.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Awesome looking unit fore sure...

So the factory stock had the wet noodle fore-end,,, or was it another stock that came with the rifle that was flopping around...

I see in your post that you changed it out with another one you had.

I bought a Remmy SPS last fall that came with a wet noodle fore-end,,, I just finished shooting the 3/4" challange with it after running 400+++ rounds down the pipe for break in...

So long as I kept it planted with bypod and bunny ear bag that dam thing would shoot...

I liked it for what it is,,, but another build showed up so its getting the punt... Ha

Thx for the write up 6MT,,, another helpful thread for all to enjoy.

Cheers

No, that's a factory Sako stock. I changed out the bipod, not the stock. The beefier LRA bipod really helps.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the review. I purchased the same rifle in January, but a 7mmRmag. I haven't shot it yet, so I'm looking forward to getting out to the range very soon.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Nice rig. I bought one in .300 win for a 6.5 PRC build. Your results are encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 PM

So I managed to get a fellow on another forum to give me a link to upgrade the bolt knob. I ordered one from here: https://www.boltknobs.com/sako-a7/ .

Installation was very easy and slick! It took all of a minute or so to do.

Fit, form, and function are flawless. Now, no more slippery knob.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM

Default Sako Roughtech Range review

Looks like an awesome rifle, congrats.

I am curious why you chose Varget over the ubiquitous h4350 for your load testing?

The reason that I ask is that I shoot a Sako Finnlight that I had rebarreled to 6.5cm with a 24” pipe. I recently went through OCW testing and worked with h4350, imr4350, Varget, and RL17. I focused on 143gr ELDX and 129gr LR Accubond.

My results showed the best ES and SD values (like single digit ES 5-shot groups) with the ELDX over Varget. Interestingly, the groups were not too impressive at around 1moa (yours are better!). I found that the ELDX over h4350 yielded the best accuracy, despite far worse SD and ES values than the Varget loads.

As a relatively novice reloader the lesson to me was that SD and ES do not necessarily translate to accuracy.

Here is one of my testing targets that compares the two powders:

Last edited by dave99; 06-19-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Varget is a popular choice for the CM round. Besides, I have close to 60# of the stuff, so why not?

My ES and SD values are in single digits more because of my consistency in loading. I'm really not concerned with them for accuracy nodes. But it does show consistency in my charge weight throws. That, I concern myself with.

Once you step out further than 500m, your speeds (ie: charge weights) better be consistent. Or you'll miss more than you hit. Especially past a kilometre.

There are other factors that make good consistency too. Also, how and where you seat affects pressures (jump over jam).

Last edited by 6MT; 06-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Makes sense that the further out you shoot, the more important the consistency of velocity becomes. Thanks for the wisdom.

60 lbs of Varget!? That would keep me shooting for 20 years!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Well, when I buy powder....I buy powder. All kidding aside, I do use a lot of Varget.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:50 PM

So, I took the A7 out to the mile range to see what she could do. I walked it out from 600m. Good solid hits right out to 1300m, then it seemed to peter out. The biggest thing was the scope. That Zeiss just doesn't do well past a kilometre. The reticle etching is quite large and tends to obscure smaller targets past 1000m. There was not enough elevation in the turret past 1300m. I did try a few shots out to 1500m and estimated my hold at 10moa with the scope topped out. Unfortunately, no joy. The glass isn't the greatest either. But for most things up to 1000m, it will do. (BTW, I was shooting steel. Mostly 12" gongs.)
The 136gr Scenar-L performed quite well. But because I loaded this round on the moderate to low charge weight side, the speeds I am getting combined with the somewhat lighter bullet weight mean the dreaded transonic transition is occurring. I didn't document where this occurred, but I am almost certain it is just past 1200m.
The weather conditions were almost ideal. The temps were in the mid 50's and the wind was variable and light. My windage holds were 1 to 1-1/2 moa at 1000m, just to give you an idea what the winds were like.
So, I am pleased. For comparison, I also shot my custom heavy barrelled 6.5x47L. It easily stepped out to 1500m. With a much better scope, more velocity, and a heavier bullet (139gr Scenar) I wasn't surprised.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

What scope do you have on your other rifle?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 PM

On the x47, a NF NXS 5-22x56.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM
Banned

V4 doesn’t have the fl glass