Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Default JawJacker Trigger

Wanting to make a homemade JawJacker and looking for trigger ideas if anyone who has built one is willing to share.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Default trigger

I haven't built one but I was thinking a rubber adjustable clip like on a downrigger would work if set lightly? Fish pulls it out, rod sets the hook. bingo.
kidd
Old 12-20-2018, 05:25 PM

Alligator clip with heat shrink tubing on each side of the jaws. The deeper you put the line in the jaws, the less sensitive it is for fishing dead baits
Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 PM

I bought one, and am building one as we speak but some of the supplies won't be here for probably a month or so.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 PM

check this thread, scroll to last comment/pic

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=356109
Old 12-20-2018, 10:44 PM

With the time and material costs is it worth making one when you can get one that works precisely for $39.99? Fuel costs more.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
With the time and material costs is it worth making one when you can get one that works precisely for $39.99? Fuel costs more.
Ya but some home made ones slay the JJ
Old 12-20-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
Ya but some home made ones slay the JJ
Now that is intriguing, how so?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 PM

I'll try to snap a picture of my setup
Seems to get more hits
I use a coat hanger bent a certain way
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 AM

I'm all in for ingenuity and those who know me best would classify me as "cheap" among other things. With that said I have a a few home built imitations of jaw jackers and they work when the bite is strong but it is really tough to imitate the sensititvity of an actual jaw jackers trigger mechanism. The money spent on one is well worth it imho.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I'm all in for ingenuity and those who know me best would classify me as "cheap" among other things. With that said I have a a few home built imitations of jaw jackers and they work when the bite is strong but it is really tough to imitate the sensititvity of an actual jaw jackers trigger mechanism. The money spent on one is well worth it imho.
You are right about the trigger. Concept is taken from gun trigger and can be very sensitive. There is no way you can achieve the same results with single wire type realise mechanism.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Yeah can probably never duplicate the sensitivity of the original but its more rewarding catching on something you've built yourself, just like tying your own flies.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Any updates?

My parts came and I’m damn close to being done - just need to wait for some more parts. I ordered a new battery case and I need to play with my cam geometry a bit.

Last edited by double gun; 01-23-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Heres one. 1x6, piece of 1 1/2pvc, eye hook and a coated coat hanger

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Nice work but it looks more like the Automatic Fisherman which I prefer over the Jaw Jacker.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Just buy one. I haven't seen any homemade versions that even come close to a jaw jacker for quality or capability.

How they fold up for transport, the numerous adjustments for different rods and setting force, easy adjustment of force required to trigger strike, spikes to hold them in place so rod doesn't get dragged down the hole etc.

If dead set on making one make an adjustable force trigger style mechanism like what is on the jaw jacker. Far better and more sensitive then the automatic fisherman style and less damaging to eyelets.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:53 AM

I purchased a jaw jacker when they first came out. Since then I have tried to fashion DIY hook setters using coat hangar triggers. None have come close to the reliability of the jaw jacker. Nevertheless, here is one being sold on cabelas.com. You can zoom in on it and see exactly how to duplicated the trigger.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HT-H....uts?slotId=10
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 PM

I did buy one. But I also like to make stuff, and the satisfaction it brings when I use something I made. Some guys get it, others don’t.... to each their own.

Almost done...
Old 01-24-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I did buy one. But I also like to make stuff, and the satisfaction it brings when I use something I made. Some guys get it, others don’t.... to each their own.

Almost done...
Yours actually looks well done. Most I have seen don't even come close to that sort of build quality. I assume that is all aluminum, I wonder if it will work as good in the cold. Will be stronger which is the only downside to the jaw jacker although it would take a fair bit to break one (I have caught 20+ lb lakers on mine).

I guess I should modify my original statement by saying if you are just wanting to build your own to try and save a few bucks I wouldn't bother. Jaw Jacker did a very good job with their product and it is hard to even come close to let alone beat.

Still not sold on the jigging jaw jackers but haven't used one yet to see how they do.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Almost done...
ok no this one looks bad ass... If i see you on the ice this would be me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mine now.jpg (8.5 KB, 39 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Nice work but it looks more like the Automatic Fisherman which I prefer over the Jaw Jacker.
I agree to me the automatic fisherman is a better unit and the newer snapper unit works great also.

mack
Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:

Almost done...

Nice job. I agree that just copying the JJ’s Trigger would be what I would try. Seems simple enough.
The JJ is perfect for being a commercial retail item. Yet it’s too light and plastic for my taste. I’d rather have one that didn’t fold up, yet was strong enough not to snap if stepped on.
My issue with the JJ’s is setting them up, in both unfolding it, and the trigger and rod settings. Get it wrong and it often doesn’t set hooks. Use a different rod and you need to tweak things again.
I haven’t spent a lot of time learning how to use it perfectly, and the first thing mine needs is a hole cover, since it always freezes over for me. I thought about a hole cover that has a pocket for one of those hand warmers to help keep things warm enough to not freeze.
That and a bell and a flag. I do find myself using a JJ or tip-up less and less lately. I’m usually quite focused on things in the tent to bother with running out to reel in a fish. And I find my bait gone and no fish more often then not this year.
A JJ cost me my best rod and reel last year, and I haven’t forgiven it yet. I’d like to find a better ‘loop’ device for the rod tip, as the crimped piece will often cause my line to twist around it or the rod. That’s certainly why my rod went down the hole.
As for the ‘spikes’ there a joke IMO. A spike is near useless without weight. If there’s a bit of snow it works ok, but bare ice it’s far from ideal to me.
After all that, I do think there well worth the money, and do work great if setup correctly. I think they should have instructions on the JJ itself somehow. And I plan on writing on mine what settings are ideal for a couple conditions I use it for.
I’d like to see a ‘safety’ so that one could set it up then reel in or out to get the right depth, then just switch the safety off and walk away. I often find I need to reel in or out after I set the trigger. Not at all a big issue, just a thought, and an easy thing to add.

One thing a tip-up can do that a JJ can’t, is let the fish take the bait for a bit. It would be awesome if the JJ had a delayed trigger. I’m thinking my JJ has been set too weak to trigger, and with the lazy bites I’ve gotten all season so far, they likely have the hook pulled out on them.

Did you weld that Aluminum, or is it riveted? I’m restoring my Starcraft Aluminum boat this winter so been working with AL a lot. I just learned of a low-heat AL welding rod that you can use a torch to use. It looks more like soldering, but it’s the real deal from what I’ve read and heard. Canadian Tire sells them and I plan on trying and using them to patch some old transducer holes in the transom. Would probably work like a charm for your build.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Suspended User

http://www.livingflylegacy.com/2017/...er-20.html?m=1

I'm working off of this guys idea for a trigger. Using a better material than a deodorant container. So far it's very sensitive but its still getting tweaked.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Nice job. I agree that just copying the JJ’s Trigger would be what I would try. Seems simple enough.
The JJ is perfect for being a commercial retail item. Yet it’s too light and plastic for my taste. I’d rather have one that didn’t fold up, yet was strong enough not to snap if stepped on.
My issue with the JJ’s is setting them up, in both unfolding it, and the trigger and rod settings. Get it wrong and it often doesn’t set hooks. Use a different rod and you need to tweak things again.
I haven’t spent a lot of time learning how to use it perfectly, and the first thing mine needs is a hole cover, since it always freezes over for me. I thought about a hole cover that has a pocket for one of those hand warmers to help keep things warm enough to not freeze.
That and a bell and a flag. I do find myself using a JJ or tip-up less and less lately. I’m usually quite focused on things in the tent to bother with running out to reel in a fish. And I find my bait gone and no fish more often then not this year.
A JJ cost me my best rod and reel last year, and I haven’t forgiven it yet. I’d like to find a better ‘loop’ device for the rod tip, as the crimped piece will often cause my line to twist around it or the rod. That’s certainly why my rod went down the hole.
As for the ‘spikes’ there a joke IMO. A spike is near useless without weight. If there’s a bit of snow it works ok, but bare ice it’s far from ideal to me.
After all that, I do think there well worth the money, and do work great if setup correctly. I think they should have instructions on the JJ itself somehow. And I plan on writing on mine what settings are ideal for a couple conditions I use it for.
I’d like to see a ‘safety’ so that one could set it up then reel in or out to get the right depth, then just switch the safety off and walk away. I often find I need to reel in or out after I set the trigger. Not at all a big issue, just a thought, and an easy thing to add.

One thing a tip-up can do that a JJ can’t, is let the fish take the bait for a bit. It would be awesome if the JJ had a delayed trigger. I’m thinking my JJ has been set too weak to trigger, and with the lazy bites I’ve gotten all season so far, they likely have the hook pulled out on them.

Did you weld that Aluminum, or is it riveted? I’m restoring my Starcraft Aluminum boat this winter so been working with AL a lot. I just learned of a low-heat AL welding rod that you can use a torch to use. It looks more like soldering, but it’s the real deal from what I’ve read and heard. Canadian Tire sells them and I plan on trying and using them to patch some old transducer holes in the transom. Would probably work like a charm for your build.
It’s all bolted together, the legs and spikes fold, cams can be changed with a knurled finger nut. I wanted everything to be easily replaced if need be. You could certainly change some of the trigger geometry/dimensions to alter the type of sensitivity you’re looking for.
At first I thought the jaw jacker was a joke, for the cost. But the more I studied/played with it, the more I was impressed by it. There is a ton of clever engineering in it. The more I appreciate it, the less the plastic offends me. I think it’s a great unit. I think the jigging base is WAY over priced, but I’m sure it’s a good unit aswell. If I was to do it again, I would have just made a jigging base for my store bought jj. It should cost under $30 in materials to build. But I would like to see a real one in the flesh to get some dimensions etc. Before I start.

As for your boat, I restored the boat and trailer I grew up fishing in last summer but it was a riveted Lund no welding, just normal solid boat rivets. I altered a air hammer tip to save me from buying an actual rivet setter.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Almost done...
I get it! Mine look very similar but I don't have the jigging cam and I used 1 1/4" ID ABS pipe for the rod holder. My release is similar design to a J-J but in wire and the aluminum channel rather than plastic. I used 3/4" square tubing and 5/8" channel aluminum from Can Tire so can build 2 for about $20.

Next week they will be at work on Cascade Lake in Idaho for those monster perch...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It’s all bolted together, the legs and spikes fold, cams can be changed with a knurled finger nut. I wanted everything to be easily replaced if need be. You could certainly change some of the trigger geometry/dimensions to alter the type of sensitivity you’re looking for.
At first I thought the jaw jacker was a joke, for the cost. But the more I studied/played with it, the more I was impressed by it. There is a ton of clever engineering in it. The more I appreciate it, the less the plastic offends me. I think it’s a great unit. I think the jigging base is WAY over priced, but I’m sure it’s a good unit aswell. If I was to do it again, I would have just made a jigging base for my store bought jj. It should cost under $30 in materials to build. But I would like to see a real one in the flesh to get some dimensions etc. Before I start.
At $50 each probably around $20 is going to the retailer and $15 for the company's markup leaving only $15 to cover the manufacturing of all the pieces and paying someone to assemble them.

If they tried to manufacturer them out of aluminum they would cost significantly more and few people would buy them. The plastic also makes them lighter which helps with shipping costs too.

Lots of people seem to worry about the plastic but I haven't heard of one breaking yet and think it would only happen if you abused it or if drag was way too tight on a big fish.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
If you hold the rod tip at the point where it will be once it is in the set point then set your bait depth you don't have to play around trying to set your depth after the rod is set up.

I just drop my jig to the bottom. Hold the rod tip in place and then reel to take up the slack and lift bait up 1-2 feet or so then set up the rod and it is good to go.

Figured I would mention this as I see lots of guys trying to figure out where their bait is after the rod is already set up and you are just asking to get whacked by a rod.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:24 PM

Last edited by double gun; 01-25-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
If you hold the rod tip at the point where it will be once it is in the set point then set your bait depth you don't have to play around trying to set your depth after the rod is set up.

I just drop my jig to the bottom. Hold the rod tip in place and then reel to take up the slack and lift bait up 1-2 feet or so then set up the rod and it is good to go.

Figured I would mention this as I see lots of guys trying to figure out where their bait is after the rod is already set up and you are just asking to get whacked by a rod.
I always set mine up with the flasher, exactly where I want it every time. Sometimes I see a big mark and I end up setting the hook myself lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKlein View Post
Wanting to make a homemade JawJacker and looking for trigger ideas if anyone who has built one is willing to share.
(2) $5 rod holders from Surplus Herbys
(1) metal coat hanger
(2) swivels
(2) 8-10” braid

will make you (2) setups , about 30 mins and $5.25 total cost

They work excellent