Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2017, 05:58 PM

Default Cold Lake - Where are the other species?!

Hey Guys, as mentioned in another thread I came to Cold Lake for a couple days (probably planning on going out again for some night fishing). Fished the marina today and caught 2 lakers (first time ever catching these fish) in about 80 feet of water which was great!

But where are the Walleye?! We were fishing by the marina because we were able to drive out there. We don't have a ATV, quad, or Skidoo so I'm hoping they're not in 150-200 feet of water.

It would be cool to jig perch as well so if anyone can give me any spots that we can drive out to or pull a sled near by that would be great and thanks in advanced!

Last edited by FishingPole; 01-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Fishing doctor has a video on YouTube on walleye in cold lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

The walleye in cold lk act a lil different than other lakes. They are not where you would think they should be.There are some BIG ones in there though!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:31 AM

walleyes r around 10-18ft
Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Good Luck finding the Walleye in the winter. They are like Perch in there and people wont share that information on the web. But some of the locals will share there spots. I can tell you that the Burbot fishing can be very good in 80 feet of water straight out from the provincial park point. But the only catch is that you have to fish after sunset and through the night. Use big 1oz glow jigs tipped with anchovies and you'll have a hard time keeping them off.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Good Luck finding the Walleye in the winter. They are like Perch in there and people wont share that information on the web. But some of the locals will share there spots. I can tell you that the Burbot fishing can be very good in 80 feet of water straight out from the provincial park point. But the only catch is that you have to fish after sunset and through the night. Use big 1oz glow jigs tipped with anchovies and you'll have a hard time keeping them off.
Thanks for the info!

Fish and Wildlife came by today and I asked them about the Walleye as well and he mentioned they're super elusive in the winter and he rarely finds anglers caught one.

I fished the Marina one more time before heading back to Edmonton and got skunked. I wish I had checked out the Provincial Park because I heard that area was fired up today. I'll definitely have to come back soon for some closed/open water fishing. Those lakers are just so darn fun!