Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM

has anyone got anything yet
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM

i've caught a few browns and a rainbow at the mouth of the sturgeon a few yrs back ! none since, but it was kinda a weird day ! Heard in the 70's that the rainbows used to love the riverside golf course area as well ! but thats a few yrs farther back.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Was this at our usual spot?

Seems all too often people go peeling out of there when we show up to fish
Yeah, right before I sent you a text about the river conditions.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM

i lost my first wife to the NSR. the canoe flipped and I had two free hands. There was the canoe to grab, the fly rod, the wife and my favorite paddle. damn i miss my paddle.

t
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Yeah, right before I sent you a text about the river conditions.
Figures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyflyfish View Post
i lost my first wife to the NSR. the canoe flipped and I had two free hands. There was the canoe to grab, the fly rod, the wife and my favorite paddle. damn i miss my paddle.

t
Ha!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 AM

Default good fishing

i found a good spot today in Edmonton will bring camera next time
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Does anyone fly fish on the nsr and if so where have u had luck, and what were you catching.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Does anyone fly fish on the nsr and if so where have u had luck, and what were you catching.
I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard a lot about catching goldeye on the fly in the NSR. When they're around you can find them practically anywhere, but I think it may be a little early for them to be in the area yet.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM

I will be heading down to the river to try it out tomorrow. Fished it when I was a kid with my dad. Any half descent spots in/near Edmonton to try? Just wanting to cast a few and hopefully catch something on my new rod.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Yeah I'm gonna be heading out to the river when it melts up a bit. but I find it really starts to get good at about mid May when the post-mud is here. but I fish in the west out-skirts of Edmonton around Terwillager dog park. I have my own honey hole that has the works(walleye, goldeye, mooneye, pike etc.)
but I've pulled out 9lb walleye out of there
Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Thinkin about taking 15 min trip to the nsr.
Soo Close yet never fished it =P
is it usually good fishing off shore.
or would a good bet be having a boat?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 AM

You can do well on the NSR fishing from shore...that's how I do it all the time

I can't wait until I get moved out to the NE end of the city so I'll be closer to the river and I can do some exploring!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 AM

I only fish from shore. but I think it depends if you have your own hole.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Allmost any place on it is good if they are bitting. Just fish from shore. I like to go on the east side of the west bound lane at the Beverly bridge but there are hundreds of places one can go, check on google earth.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM

What about further west? I'm planning to spend Saturday on the NSR, coming up from Calgary, and trying to plan the best spot to start off. I've never seen such a large number of species available from one listing in the regs, and I'm hoping to start the spring off with as many different catches as I can (although I could sleep at night if I didn't get a sturgeon lol)

Hwy 11 draws very close about 20km west of RMH and again about 20km east of Nordegg, and then there's the 734 south from Nordegg right to the river.

Is there any stretch that would be better than another? I'll be fishing from the shore, and wherever I stop off, I'm just going to wander upstream for a couple of hours, trying different presentations etc, so would it be best to stop just outside of RMH, or drive the extra hour or so to get to Nordegg and south, and head up towards the dam?

So many possibilities, I've got half a mind to bring a sleeping bag and start fresh on Sunday lol
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM

I don't know a whole lot about the river west of Edmonton but like any Alberta river the species you are going to find close to the mountains (trout) are different than downstream (walleye, pike). Does anyone really know where these populations tend to merge? Where can you go and have a chance at catching any of the species listed in the regs? I would hazard a guess that Drayton would be the approximate area.

I like fishing the NSR because sometimes you get surprised with a species or size of fish that you didn't expect. However, my best days on the river are nowhere near my best days on a lake in terms of numbers.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM

Just got back from a couple of hours of casting on the NSR, near whitemud. Only had one decent sized pike, but at least it justified the bike ride to get out there. Anyone know when the walleye fishing gets good? Does the water have to warm up and the water level rise before they start showing up along that area?

Good Fishin'
dave99
Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Yeah I'm gonna be heading out to the river when it melts up a bit. but I find it really starts to get good at about mid May when the post-mud is here. but I fish in the west out-skirts of Edmonton around Terwillager dog park. I have my own honey hole that has the works(walleye, goldeye, mooneye, pike etc.)
but I've pulled out 9lb walleye out of there
SHHHH! someones gonna find our hole if you give out info like that! Think fishermen with ghille suits waiting for us to go to our spot. ;D
Old 04-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Just got back from the river out west of Edmonton, clarity is pretty good right now (2-3 feet), water temp is 48F.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Any good spots NE say Fort Sask area. I am in Sherwood Park & wouldn't mind trying NSR for an evening. Use to fish with my dad at Whitemud 30 + years ago.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Just got back from a couple of hours of casting on the NSR, near whitemud. Only had one decent sized pike, but at least it justified the bike ride to get out there. Anyone know when the walleye fishing gets good? Does the water have to warm up and the water level rise before they start showing up along that area?

Good Fishin'
dave99
Ive been pulling out walleye/sauger pretty steady along the downtown to cloverbar streatch. Have yet to go and get at least 1. No size to brag about yet, but at least its something! I have been doing a little "Outside the Box" fishing using a black/chartruse/white booya spinner bait. been proving pretty deadly when fished right...not saying its guaranteed, but its working for me. Used it at pinehurst last year and at calling as well and walleye seem to love it. Just have to get it to depth in the lakes and fish it just off the bottom in the river.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM

A few big walleyes in there

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Default North Saskatchewan River

We were out on Sunday nite (25th) around GoldBar Park, caught
as small pike and a good sized walleye...will go out again once I figure
out some more spots to to.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Went out last night with a few guys and we got one keeper sized pike nd one small walleye. Not bad
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM

we went out on Saturday and caught 19 fish between 3 of us in 3 hours. All were Carp and Goldeye. Largest Goldeye was 2lb 2oz. We had a blast even tho it was a bit cold. I fished the NSR all last year and was skunked everytime. Even lost my wallet this year on the east side of the river at the beverly bridge. Have checked back often for it but all I found was a close to new Jack all.....lol The new spot we go to is in the downtown area........ oh yeah if anyone finds my brown wallet I have a case of your favorite beer for ya!!! lol They was no money just id,fishing license, and a few pictures of my late father.....
Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Default Goldeye

Have the goldeye arrived in Edmonton yet?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Was out today, Caught one decent sized pike (18-20 inchs but he was nice and fat). Man oh man was he a fighter! Alot of fun for a small pike, we got quite the acrobatics show. Was a nice day for fishing but i was the only one who didn't get skunked!

Might try a different spot for some goldeyes tuesday night if i get a chance. Im tired of fishin pickerel rigs, what type of lures do goldeye like? haven't fished for em with anything but a rig before.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Yep, the goldeye are in the Edmonton area now If you want to go for them on hardware I'd try small silver spinners or spoons, or you can also take 'em on a fly, even on spinning gear if you haven't tried that before

I've been having good luck with the pike in the river this spring as well

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 AM

What time of day seems best on the river ?
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Anytime really, but the only slow times seem to be 4-6 and I'd assume early morning like 3-5. And yeah wildernesscraftsman got a reaally nice pike, it was the first aro-pike I've seen