Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 01:00 PM

Has anyone been able to find Hornady One Shot in Canada anywhere recently, or have a lead on where to order from in the States? I’d like to bring it into my reloading process, but haven’t seen it on shelves for a couple years it feels like.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
Has anyone been able to find Hornady One Shot in Canada anywhere recently, or have a lead on where to order from in the States? I’d like to bring it into my reloading process, but haven’t seen it on shelves for a couple years it feels like.
Just use die wax and save yourself the pain of it all……

There are no absolutes
Old 03-17-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I haven’t, no. And for an inside neck lubricant sizing die wax is absolutely not a substitute. It lubricates well, but then needs to be removed. I may have to resort to dry neck lube which I also think does a very poor job of doing what it says it does.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 03-17-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Haven’t seen any on store shelves for a while but have managed to buy some at gun shows a couple times over the past 3 years or so.

In short, if you can try to make it to a few gun shows. Hopefully you don’t get gouged.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:07 PM

You can order One Shot at amazon.ca free shipping right now
Old 03-17-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
You can order One Shot at amazon.ca free shipping right now
Not that I see. Says it’s unavailable

-Billy Molls
Old 03-17-2024, 03:07 PM

I bought the Hornady one shot case lube at Prophet river not long ago
The Hornady one shot is a whole line products sonic cleaner, first firing, cleaner and lube etc.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/ca...-shot-cleaners

Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube with DynaGlide $65 from Amazon I'll pass
Old 03-17-2024, 08:04 PM

If you click on the can on the page that says "No featured offers available" it will open up on another page with "See All Buying Options" on right side of the page, and there are 2 options there - 65 bucks a can but it lasts a long time.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 PM

I just bought a small tube of lanoline and a bottle of 99% rubbing alcohol, mix enough lanolin in it to make cases a little slippery, use in a spray bottle done. Two life times supply for about 40 bucks. Done.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-17-2024, 11:57 PM

Do small things matter? Well yes and no. I hunted for years with mismatched brass, with whatever primers I could find, and whatever the local store had for powder (which was pretty limited) I also loaded my cartridges with a cheap $30. Lee bang it with a wooden mallet reloading kit and one Speer reloading manual. Did it work ? Sure it did, was it safe? maybe.

So now for the other side of the coin. As one of many examples I could give. I have a .204 Rem. Same brass, all trimmed etc. By JUST switching primers and using the same powder etc. I was able to reduce the on target accuracy from maybe 3/4" groups to about 3/8". Is it worth it? For the small little gophers that I am sniping at 350 yards? YES it is.

Is it worth it to you? I have no idea.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Which really isn’t the premise here. The whole idea is that you can do things that make a difference. Am I glad my load has a SD of 6 when I have an opportunity at a 160” WT at 475 practiced yards? It sure is nice.
Exactly agree 100%. I try to be very diligent with brass prep and chamber every piece after sizing , make sure powder load is precise and base to ogive is identical when seating etc. Stretch out a few shots it pays off.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:15 AM

Little things and big things ,it all depends what you call big and small.
My 338 mag made a big difference in groups just by changing the primers .
The Fed 215 groups went from 1.5 inch groups to very tight groups by using Rem 9.5 primers.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 PM

I used to weigh bullets,cases . Even used to debur or chamfer flash holes on inside of case. Waste of time. I used to do other silly waste of time stuff to.

Primers ,type of powder and way bullet suits chamber,rifling are important.

Most important thing for accuracy is guy shooting the gun. Experience ,confidence and more the better
Old 03-21-2024, 11:11 AM

I agree, the small differences can make big changes down range. I also agree the shooter is the biggest variable. I also think some calibers are more sensitive to slight changes, and others more forgiving. I've had centerfire rifles that were easier to shoot well than others. My Savage 10 in .223 with handloads made me look like a champ @ 100 yards. lol (gun in my Avatar/photo) I used to joke that I cold not only hit a groundhog, I could pick the whisker. lol

I mostly shoot Tikka now and if I'm being honest, it's a far-better build quality...but more user input is required to achieve the same thing. No idea why.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Not that I see. Says it’s unavailable

If you need some Chuck I could get a mule to take some back to Alberta and mail it to you next month.

No shortages around here

If it’s safe to mail internationally I could send it that way too. I sent a similar sized package to the states yesterday for $21 and they quoted 7-9 days.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:25 AM

Thanks! For now I’m good, but I’m hoping I find a source as I’ll need some in six months or so

-Billy Molls
Old 03-22-2024, 07:01 AM

Watch the fist two minutes.

https://youtu.be/luulsVWaIHY?si=h6Nrm-TeN-F7NEZa

-Billy Molls
Old 03-22-2024, 07:27 AM

I have been using dry graphite lube for years now. The type marketed for door locks. It comes in black power form. I used an old plastic bullet box and filled it with #7.5 lead shot taken from some 12g shells. Pour the powder in and shake it vigorously. Then just dip the case mouth in and give it a twist. It does deposit some on the outside of the case neck but after sizing just a quick wipe with a rag and its done. No need to clean inside the neck. No spray, no mess, and a tube of graphite has lasted 8 years now.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I have been using dry graphite lube for years now. The type marketed for door locks. It comes in black power form. I used an old plastic bullet box and filled it with #7.5 lead shot taken from some 12g shells. Pour the powder in and shake it vigorously. Then just dip the case mouth in and give it a twist. It does deposit some on the outside of the case neck but after sizing just a quick wipe with a rag and its done. No need to clean inside the neck. No spray, no mess, and a tube of graphite has lasted 8 years now.
Motor mica I think is same thing and should be common or easy to buy at automotive shop although been a while since I bought it. But I agree its great stuff and all that's needed inside case necks. I give my cases a tap to get rid of extra mica in cases. Dont need much
Old 03-22-2024, 08:25 AM

Majority of hunters are successfully taking animals under 300yds where ES-SD are arguably of little value. If we start to reach out past 500 and especially out to 1000yd this is where ES-SD carry high value.
Collection of such data is meaningless with 3-6 shot groups if stretching distance. 10-20 shots will give a better representation of your loads SD.
Low SD at 1000yd is a vital if your a competitive shooter. Groups would be inconsistent. If your loads are consistent with low SD then that's one less thing a shooter needs to worry about.
Its a rabbit hole but as hunters, reloaders, shooters for recreation or competitive its interesting to learn anything about our passions to just simply understand, if anything.