Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2023, 06:25 PM

Default Wabamun Lake Sundance Boat Launch

Parkland County announced today that the long-awaited boat launch on the south-side of Wabamun Lake, Sundance Boat Launch and Recreation Area, will open on Monday, July 31st.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:07 PM

Directly off the county site-

Parkland County's newest park will open summer of 2023. The park will feature a boat launch for motorized boats, fishing, walking path up the fingers of the channel and a picnic area. Due to the water outfall in the channel, this is not a safe winter access point, due to unstable ice, for the lake and is closed during the winter months. A $20 parking fee applies from May 15 to September 15 during the following hours:

Weekdays from 4:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Weekends and statutory holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
35 trailer parking spots within the controlled access lot
10 vehicle parking spots outside the controlled access lot (no trailers permitted in this lot)
Please note that we are still completing landscape work in the park and ask that you stay off the marked areas.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:55 PM

$20 to park. It probably won’t be very busy
Old 07-28-2023, 03:14 PM

So free parking during the week till 4 pm
What are they charging for boat launching .
Old 07-28-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
$20 to park. It probably won’t be very busy
Is that not the same price as the town marina parking with a trailer $20. ?
If your only going for boating not really worth driving on the other side of the lake for a 1/2 hr to launch there over the town marina . Better yet, just launch from the free boat launch at the provincial campgrounds .

The place they really needed a boat launch is at the Seba side for large boats.

Last edited by -JR-; 07-28-2023 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:55 PM

Just go before 4:30 on a weekday or early on a weekend, that's what I'll be doing. Great way to encourage spreading out the pressure.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:36 PM

This may no longer be relevant but something to be aware of.

On Sept 14th , 2023 when I arrived at the launch there was a contractor of some type in waders trying to cut a bunch of "felt matting" out from the end of the launch. The launch is made up of a bunch of lets call it large paving stones. Once the paving stones end, they put down rock.

However, before dumping the rock, they layed down what I would describe is a heavy felt matting first, then the rock on top of that.

The contractor explained to me that what was happening is that when people were trailering the boat, the prop wash was washing/pushing away the rock. The matting below it was then floating up to the point where it was getting caught in some peoples motors/props. That was why he was there, to try to fix it.

He believed the problem was they did not put down heavy enough rock and that would have to be fixed at some point. It was unclear exactly why the matting was used, but his assumption was for some erosion or environmental reason.

In general, your trailer tires would always be on the pavers. However, your motor may be over the rocks and matting. I don't have any picture, but since the water is usually very clear at this location, you can see the matting and avoid it. He managed to cut the very large piece out.

On Sept 16th, 2023 I was able to launch and trailer without issue. I just had to be mindful of the matting fabric.

I am not sure if this will be an ongoing problem of the short term here, but its worthwhile to at least be aware of it.

Tags
boat launch, wabamun