Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 AM

Default sask beaver bounty

A friend from Sask says there is a 40.00 bounty on beaver in there province. I am having a hard time finding info on this. Anyone else know, or hear anything about it?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Lots of RM's have bounties on beavers,last year we got $20 a tail,some this spring are paying $35-$55 a beaver.It all depends on how much $ they have.Makes sense to,pay $200,000 in culverts,gravel,trackhoe,road repair,or a couple thousand on beaver control,do the math.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 AM

Ya, I did a bit of research and apparently the province is paying 20, and the federal gov is throwing in another 20 to match. to me this sounds to good to be true.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Lots of those RM's you have to be the designated trapper for beaver control in their division in order to get paid for the beaver control and bounty.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM

ya i would imagine. after a bit more research i discovered that the rm is paying 15 and the province is matching with another 15. thats 30 per tail. nice deal for the boys on those lists. we had a bounty up our way last winter for 10 bucks. i dont really get why the county puts up a bounty when everyone is out working and discontinue it when everyone gets home in the spring. mostly bush where i live so i dont think much farmland is effected (i could be wrong), but i know our timber is drowning.
if you yourself want to learn about the beaver bounty in sask, go to www.sarm.ca there the ones matching the rms.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM

So who do we send our tails to to collect the bounty? Do we need a Sask resident friend to lie abiout the tails for us, or have they made it even easier for us to abuse their system?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM

I was wondering when that topic would come up lol. So ya, basically you need to have a friend in Sask who is on the list of approved hunter-trappers. You then give that fellow your beaver tails and voila. The system has been abused. And dont worry about buddy returning with your money, Im sure his number one priority in life is to ensure that he can put money in your pocket by abusing his cash cow, and risking his reputation.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Friends never do that to friends

Albertans never abuse Saskatchewan bounties
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM

I would think that you might have to turn in the whole carcas to eliminate some abuse. The county where I live needs whole coyote carcass and they remove the ears. In my opinion a bounty is tough to regulate and brings about dishonesty.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

If some of you are so hard up for cash you'd consider abusing a bounty on beavers maybe it would be easier (and more profitable) to just get a job.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Mr Coily,

I take it you don't recognize mockery when you see it?

All for fun, I am not actually promoting bounty abuse, on the flipside I am encouraging responsible bounty administration to eliminate abuse.

Not that any saks people that pull any weight in the decision making process actually read this garbage!

Happy flushing... er I mean fleshing!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM

There is no getting away with cheating the system on this guys the sask R.M.s have only a certain registered trapper devoted to full time beaver control and maintenance of culverts and such he is the only one getting the bounty for tails. This is how it works in my home RM and the bordering ones can't speek for all sask. After the coyote paw scam this past winter they have given it a bit more thought. And the paws that my father turned in he payed taxes on he was sent a T4 in the mail from the RM
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM

we got jobs hoss. good advice though. nnever could have came up with such a brilliant idea like that if it wasnt for you.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Default ce gotem lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If some of you are so hard up for cash you'd consider abusing a bounty on beavers maybe it would be easier (and more profitable) to just get a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressler37 View Post
A friend from Sask says there is a 40.00 bounty on beaver in there province. I am having a hard time finding info on this. Anyone else know, or hear anything about it?
just an update. we sold 100 tails through a friend to the sask gov lol. thanks for the4000 bucks harper.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM

we got 7 for our carcasses,40 for our tails and we will see what we get for the hides at the next auction
Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Default Money for beavers is easy

In my r.m anyone can shoot a beaver for bounty of 30 dollars a beaver.and u use a tail as evidence.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressler37 View Post
just an update. we sold 100 tails through a friend to the sask gov lol. thanks for the4000 bucks harper.
Them wasnt Harper dollars, them were BRADLEY BUCKS!!!

Congrats Saskatchewan on another masterfully administered program. Very generous... very, very generous! Just like the supposed 70,000 coyotes!

We all desperately need our entertainment
Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM

its been going on for a few years now, good deal makes it worthwhile to trap them, my rm is 15 and 15 so a total of 30 per tail 15 from the rm and 15 from the sask gov just have to give land locations and farmers names and good to go.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Is this in all sask rm's?
Old 04-18-2015, 01:45 AM

Ok. As a beaver bounty guy from Saskatchewan I can clear up some confusion. Most RMs in the eastern part of southern SK have a bounty. Those RMs that want a beaver control program need to apply with SK Environment to have beavers removed from the furbearer protected status. Once this is approved, the RM can decide on their own accord as to how to implement the bounty. Some have designated trappers that trap certain areas only, while some have free reign. Some have a limit of the number of tails that they will pay out per person. Every RM that I have spoke with want you to be a ratepayer in that RM but will make exceptions for certain individuals for those guys in neighboring RMs that have a proven record of being honest and able to catch large number of beaver. Most RMs will have "trouble spots" and trappers MUST target beaver in those areas first and foremost, then you can trap others. I always ask the councillors which areas are giving them problems, go there, and then fan out and trap as many beaver in that area I can.
As for sneaking in tails, yes it happens. But if you get caught, good luck getting a single penny for another tail ever. Most tails that are snuck in are from neighboring RMs that have a lower bounty.
All RMs that I know of require a written report as to the landowners name, legal land description and how many beaver were taken. If there is any question as to whether or not the tails are legit, the RM will speak to the landowner and ask. Also, the RM has to be able to see a noticeable difference in beaver activity if you claim a bunch of tails.
My RM pays $15 and it's matched $15 from the province/SARM so it's a total of $30. I know of some RMs that pay $10 and nothing else (they're absolutely over run with beaver) and others as high as $50 (they have no beaver).
Most RMs would like to do away with the bounty system, but there are not enough trappers to accommodate that size of land to control. Others love the bounty and how regular residents can participate in the control efforts.
Hope that clears up some of the questions. Ryan
Old 04-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Banned

Default Bounty Balony

Anyone know why the governments just don't flush the money down a toilet? It would save a lot of wildlife?