Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Default strike indicator help?

HI I put the indicator on properly and everything but when I cast it slips up and down the line how do I solve this problem??
Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM

what kind of indicator? I find the twist on ones slid and just come off so i don't use them. I perfer the classic corky style tooth pick ones. Some really the like the thingamabobber ones, again i don't like those ones either.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:51 PM

I'm lazy !!! I like the pinch on foam indicators, no hassles no problems.
Dodger.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I'm lazy !!! I like the pinch on foam indicators, no hassles no problems.
Dodger.
X2 on the cohesive foam ones.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Try Phil Rowley's quick release indicators. You can find them at the fishin' hole or wholesale in the fly fishing department.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 AM

I use the bobbers that have a tooth pick to hold them on, I have used the foam stick on's and I find they work well also.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
I use the bobbers that have a tooth pick to hold them on, I have used the foam stick on's and I find they work well also.
agree. I find these the best. They stay in place.....always
Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up Strike Indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
HI I put the indicator on properly and everything but when I cast it slips up and down the line how do I solve this problem??
I use a custom indicator that has a swivel as well. It helps to catch large fish and prevents the line from twisting. Here is the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wee 10.jpg (54.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Try Phil Rowley's quick release indicators. You can find them at the fishin' hole or wholesale in the fly fishing department.

Cheers,
Doc

Although I'm not a big fan of the man, this indicator is by far the most simple and effective pattern allowing for good distance in your casts. The plug will pop when you set the hook and the indicator slide down so as to not get caught up in your eyelits allowing you to net the fish much easier. It is easily adjustable to any depth. By far the most versatile design to ever enter the indicator market. You'll thank yourself for using them when you play a large fish. The lack of a toothpick sticking out of the indicator will help to alleviate you cast loops from catching and tangling. Best choice

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
Doc
Are these new? I have never seen them before, but it looks like a good setup.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

They have them at the Fishin Hole, and you can order them on line aslo thru Phil Rowleys website,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM

If you use these, use a small swivel as well because if you break the tippet you'll lose the indicator.

I love the Rowley indicators, but only for lake fishing with leaders that are more than 14' long. Any shorter than that, or on flowing water, and you're way better off with Thingamabobbers.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

whatever you do, do not use fish pimp indicators, I found them to be horrible
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
what kind of indicator? I find the twist on ones slid and just come off so i don't use them. I perfer the classic corky style tooth pick ones. Some really the like the thingamabobber ones, again i don't like those ones either.
That's all I've ever used. Never slips, easy to see. no problems.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Doc
+1. I have never used any other indicator than this. Works amazing.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Default Indicators

Hi, i use the orvis twist on type but find they work better with berkley Trilene100% fluorocarbon or Vanish Transition. The indicators seem to hold better on these lines.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:38 PM

I learned a trick for the Thill balsa indicators last Sunday . . . but there is no way I can explain it online. No toothpick required . . . the leader is just wound though it in a clever way. I'll see if I can find a video/demo online to link.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM

My favorites are the small little cork balls that stay tight when you slide a toothpick through them. They are bright, light and biodegradable if you drop them or they fall off.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I learned a trick for the Thill balsa indicators last Sunday . . . but there is no way I can explain it online. No toothpick required . . . the leader is just wound though it in a clever way. I'll see if I can find a video/demo online to link.
I also use the small thill with no toothpick. pinch the leader and thread the doubled leader through the indicator. Take the loose end of the leader and thread it through the loop that is now sticking out the top of the indicator and pull tight. Doesn't come off or move but still easy to adjust. Only draw back is that it doesn't work well if you have more line than your rod length past the indicator (a quick release would work better in this situation).
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAngler View Post
I also use the small thill with no toothpick. pinch the leader and thread the doubled leader through the indicator. Take the loose end of the leader and thread it through the loop that is now sticking out the top of the indicator and pull tight. Doesn't come off or move but still easy to adjust. Only draw back is that it doesn't work well if you have more line than your rod length past the indicator (a quick release would work better in this situation).
You da man! That's exactly what I was shown, and you explained it well It makes way more sense to do it this way instead of fiddling with toothpicks.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 AM

sweet, learn something new. will try out next time to the river.
thanks for the tip
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
If you use these, use a small swivel as well because if you break the tippet you'll lose the indicator.

I love the Rowley indicators, but only for lake fishing with leaders that are more than 14' long. Any shorter than that, or on flowing water, and you're way better off with Thingamabobbers.
Agreed. I find the Rowley indicators don't hold up to everyday use all that well;they are great for the intended purpose. I bought a handful of Thingamabobbers a couple years ago. They hold up to lots of use & abuse; in fact, I've yet to wear one out. I do find they work better on the thicker part of the leader, though. On thinner line, they are hard to undo & move; I've also had the leader break at the indicator when attached to the thinner part of the leader.
I think you have to adapt & use what's best for any given situation.

BTW, I use a swivel as well; I find a fairly large barrel swivel is good for extra weight & to prevent some line twist.