Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-30-2023, 11:57 PM

Default Pike Migration in Glenmore Reservoir and Aquatic Plant life cycle

My current challange in Glenmore reservoir is that the pikes etc. seem to move elsewhere at the end of summer.
Since mid-August I notice submerged plants (milfoil?) come up brown and rotten in the popular spots (lake points S and N) even though the weather is warm and sunny. Close to the bridge it is all barren.
I realize I am not familiar with the life cycle of aquatic plants and insects, and it may explain why I am out of ideas for new pastures.
I would love to hear your experinence as to when the fall die-off of aquatic weeds take place, and if there are other species of plants that last longer into the fall.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:57 PM

The fish are more likely seeking cooler waters.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:27 PM

Pike are in 8-20fow this time of year depending on the day and temperature. Find the cabbage, and you'll find the pike.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Pike are in 8-20fow this time of year depending on the day and temperature. Find the cabbage, and you'll find the pike.
THIS....guys a brainiack...works everywhere!!!
Old 09-05-2023, 10:41 PM

thanks.. looks like these cabbage are dead and dissolving though all around the banks
Old 09-05-2023, 11:19 PM

Pike may like cabbage and other weeds but they key in on structure in general. Wood and rocks are good so is concrete. I catch a lot of pike fishing rocks and some nice ones too. Ledges and drop offs are another

I have not lived in Calgary or fished Glenmore for a long time but I caught the biggest pike around the dam and the rocks tight to shore in the deep areas near by. The pike will hug tight to the dam and there was deeper weeds there in the past

Don’t overthink it they are an ambush predator that eats other fish(including their own) so find any structure they can hide in with food nearby. Keep moving casting to structure
Old 09-09-2023, 02:48 AM

Another day walking along the whole northern bank, no one caught anything , this looks like the norm nowadays
Old 09-09-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieFisher View Post
Another day walking along the whole northern bank, no one caught anything , this looks like the norm nowadays
Lots of factors could be at play and you just need to adjust till you get it figured out. Lure, how it’s worked, being in the strike zone of the fish, and many others. The reality is the pike are looking to fatten up for winter so find the food

If it wasn’t a 4hr drive I would consider coming down and catching the pike for you to see . I will say with confidence I would likely be using lure and even styles of lures you probably don’t have or use too

Gliders, dive and rise jerk baits, and a variety of soft plastics would be the top of the list. Things I could provide good action both fast or slow or lures that can be stalled

Fishing is a puzzle you just need to put all the pieces together too make it work
Old 09-11-2023, 10:37 PM

Thanks Smoky for sharing your experience!

Tags
calgary, lake fishing