Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM

WOW winter blues must be setting in that we are digging up a post from 2011 to comment on....hahaha

Jim
Old 12-22-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Man, I am sick of my job! I am only paperwork away from being a journeyman carpenter, and I'm tired of being a grunt labor worker! I started this job to get my hours for 4th year, well I'm done them, and even with the perks, I can't bring myself to enjoy this job anymore! If any of you out there need a deck built, or some small Renos let me know! Or maybe even one of you guys needs a good worker? I can frame, finish, drywall, tape and mud, paint, build small cabinets and counter tops, form flatwork for concrete. Among other things! I'm forgetting more than I'm learning at this current job! Anyways, my rant is over! Hope the mods don't delete this for any reason!
Quote:
It's not the labor and hard work I don't like, it's the pushing a broom and cleaning up after all the lazy trades that don't do anything extra!

I am doing some carpentry, but I find I push broom more than I would like! I don't have to use my brain for the stuff I do very often! I'm getting tired of it!
Quote:
Just because I just finished school doesn't mean I haven't been around it long enough to " pay my dues " as you say! 13 years in construction ought to be damn near long enough if you ask me! I think everyone is missing the point of what I'm trying to say! Basically, I'm tired of pushing broom and cleaning up after everyone else! I'm getting sick of working for a general contractor and doing just the $@#t work that nobody else wants to do!
I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from but it doesn't excuse your entitled whiny attitude. If you're tired of cleaning up after sub's get them to clean up after themselves rather than b!tching on an online forum.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:56 AM

I went through the national energy policy disaster in the eighties and remember things being much worse than today (so far). Been working on the rigs for 33 years and never felt that I was too good to "shovel sh-t" and have always told my men the same thing. There are a lot of people out there would love to be in this guys shoes today; HAVING a decent paying job to go to.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Happy for you that it's working out for you! When I saw the title of this thread I thought WTF, you have a job and you are complaining? Glad I actually read. LOL
Old 12-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from but it doesn't excuse your entitled whiny attitude. If you're tired of cleaning up after sub's get them to clean up after themselves rather than b!tching on an online forum.
Another one who didn't read the entire thread.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
WOW winter blues must be setting in that we are digging up a post from 2011 to comment on....hahaha

Jim
I generally don't support people digging up old threads, but in this case it is the OP giving an update on his life experience and what he has learned in the process. Very valid reason for a bump.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM

This thread is proof that all the whiners end up in the union.*

*meant as light hearted humour.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
How right/wrong you are! I know I'm bringing up an old thread here. I took the plunge towards the carpenters union hall in June of 2013. You're so right about pushing a broom, it is a rare occurrence that it happens to me now. However, since I joined in 2013, I've only done 6 months of carpentry. I have done a ton of scaffolding though, and in May of 2015 did my jman upgrader. Now a dual ticketed tradesman through the carpenters hall. I have to admit I'm enjoying the scaffolding a lot more. It keeps a guy out of the mud, the material is generally lighter to handle, and with tube and clamp, you have so much more freedom than building something off of a blueprint like in carpentry. I don't regret my decision at all, and have not said that I hate my job for a very long time!! I have a great crew and an awesome foreman right now. Hope it stays that way for awhile!
Excellent.

Have a good season and good new year.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Read the whole thread and comments before you reply next time thank you!!
You are 100% correct. I am having a big Ol'poece of Humble pie. I am glad you joined the Carpenters Union, you live better when you work Union. I am happy things have improved for you.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
You are 100% correct. I am having a big Ol'poece of Humble pie. I am glad you joined the Carpenters Union, you live better when you work Union. I am happy things have improved for you.
No worries, I am quite familiar with the taste of humble pie, as I'm sure many other members on this site are. Thank you for your input nonetheless! The union has definitely opened up opportunities I hadn't thought of before joining as well. It's been a good 2 1/2 years so far.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:54 PM

When I was in management we managers would get together on a Friday afternoon.Send the warehouse people for coffee. When they got back we had the whole warehouse swept. We did this every Fridayn afternoon.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM

I think the ops main concern was losing his skills. It's usually the main reason for people who are unhappy at work. Older generation believes that you just shut up and work hard and with time you will be rewarded. Younger gens think that you need to acquire the skills first and that'll be the reward. Neither group is wrong but the one thing I can't tel you is anybody can think with their back, not many use their minds!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just because I just finished school doesn't mean I haven't been around it long enough to " pay my dues " as you say! 13 years in construction ought to be damn near long enough if you ask me! I think everyone is missing the point of what I'm trying to say! Basically, I'm tired of pushing broom and cleaning up after everyone else! I'm getting sick of working for a general contractor and doing just the $@#t work that nobody else wants to do!
if it bothers you that much.... quit whining and got find employment that you like. I own a construction business with 20 employees and I always encourage guys that aren't happy with what's asked of them to search out new employment. Only yiu can change your situation, whining isn't gonna help
Old 12-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
if it bothers you that much.... quit whining and got find employment that you like. I own a construction business with 20 employees and I always encourage guys that aren't happy with what's asked of them to search out new employment. Only yiu can change your situation, whining isn't gonna help
Old 12-22-2015, 04:27 PM

Lol, it's a losing battle dave.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Banned

hahha had a slice of humble pie as well
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Good call.....so, he'd still be pushin' a broom

I'm a sparky.....and yup......ya clean up after yourself

tm
You might, but let me tell you I used to be sick of picking up little bits of wire electricians left laying around.

Floorlayers are the cleanest, because there is no where to put the junk,and cleanup is part of the job.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Man, I am sick of my job!
I thought this was one of the moderators on here venting
Old 12-22-2015, 06:21 PM

Been in the trade for 20 yrs working hard another kid hasn't done any time and complaining all ready I love showing the kids that whine how to jackhammer , dig , clean up poor little guy it's called work and if u don't like it your in the wrong trade how ever I agree with a bit what your saying but carpentry is a big scope of work and labour work is half of it who else is going to do it the electricians HA!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM

But then again I'm looking for a job in the new yr problem with carpentrey most of the time with companys is when the jobs done see u later!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
How right/wrong you are! I know I'm bringing up an old thread here. I took the plunge towards the carpenters union hall in June of 2013. You're so right about pushing a broom, it is a rare occurrence that it happens to me now. However, since I joined in 2013, I've only done 6 months of carpentry. I have done a ton of scaffolding though, and in May of 2015 did my jman upgrader. Now a dual ticketed tradesman through the carpenters hall. I have to admit I'm enjoying the scaffolding a lot more. It keeps a guy out of the mud, the material is generally lighter to handle, and with tube and clamp, you have so much more freedom than building something off of a blueprint like in carpentry. I don't regret my decision at all, and have not said that I hate my job for a very long time!! I have a great crew and an awesome foreman right now. Hope it stays that way for awhile!
Good for you. Keep your eyes open on what the foreman does for managing people and paperwork. When you get your opportunity to run a crew be ready. The trades have a way of wearing a body down and gaining knowledge to move up to jobs that have less stress on the knees, back and shoulders can be done while you are in the field.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
carpenters union would have you doing carpentry not not broom pushing
That's right cuz unionized carpenters don't do enough work to make a mess.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Default I'm no carpenter

but back in the day I had Privates and sometimes Corporals pushing the broom. Before that time I pushed the broom.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:28 PM

Before taking off my belt a few years ago I never asked my guys to do something I wouldn't do. I would sweep/nail windows/cut heat holes.... All the stuff that nobody wanted to do. It created a great environment of trust and zero hierarchy. To each their own but that approach worked for me.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Man, I am sick of my job! I am only paperwork away from being a journeyman carpenter, and I'm tired of being a grunt labor worker! I started this job to get my hours for 4th year, well I'm done them, and even with the perks, I can't bring myself to enjoy this job anymore! If any of you out there need a deck built, or some small Renos let me know! Or maybe even one of you guys needs a good worker? I can frame, finish, drywall, tape and mud, paint, build small cabinets and counter tops, form flatwork for concrete. Among other things! I'm forgetting more than I'm learning at this current job! Anyways, my rant is over! Hope the mods don't delete this for any reason!
Can't all be kings right off the start, gotta earn your stripes, grunt it out...got a job now which is a bonus, look around many don't have a job, not happy change it up then...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Can't all be kings right off the start, gotta earn your stripes, grunt it out...got a job now which is a bonus, look around many don't have a job, not happy change it up then...
Read the whole thread.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Read the whole thread.
I did, saw a picture of a shirtless dude, head held in hand...poor soul!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2015, 10:34 AM

With all the good men and women out of work in this great province I have no feelings of sorrow for our young man who does not want to push a broom.

Whatever you are getting paid it is a lot more than the uic up to 100,000 Albertans are collecting.

Suck it up kid no one especially those looking for work give a care about your crying about a broom most of them would gladly push all day.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Mods, close this tread. All we have is people who open it, read the title of the first post, and then take a shot, without even reading. Just goes to show that some people just want to jump on someone, and will take any excuse to do it. Misplaced righteousness. Shut 'er down.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Merry Christmas!!!
Closed Thread