Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Need help with (probate)?

My wife's daughter passed away a few months ago,and there was no will,my wife and I payed for all the funeral procedures and she's also looking after all the bills and creditors, she just recently had her daughter's taxes done and the accountant says she needs a letter of probate,only problem is that her daughter passed away in Manitoba and it seems she will have to go to a Manitoba court to get a letter of probate. Can an arrangement be made to get them some other way? or can can she call ahead some how to deal with the preliminaries, we are not sure .Hope someone can help us ,thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Sorry for your loss.

I have to do Applications for Probate & Letters of Administration a few times a year for friends and family in my Practice. It is not the main area of practice though.

If the residency on date of death was Manitoba, then the Application for Letters of Administration will have to be in the Court of Queen's Bench in Manitoba, and under their Intestate Succession legislation.

In Alberta, we combined the Wills Act and Intestate Succession Act a few years ago. Can't comment on Manitoba though.

If there is Real Property in the deceased's name located in Alberta, then you re seal the Manitoba Grant of Administration with the Court of Queen's Bench (Surrogate Matters) in Alberta.

Drewski
Old 04-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
My wife's daughter passed away a few months ago,and there was no will,my wife and I payed for all the funeral procedures and she's also looking after all the bills and creditors, she just recently had her daughter's taxes done and the accountant says she needs a letter of probate,only problem is that her daughter passed away in Manitoba and it seems she will have to go to a Manitoba court to get a letter of probate. Can an arrangement be made to get them some other way? or can can she call ahead some how to deal with the preliminaries, we are not sure .Hope someone can help us ,thank you.
I’d be getting a second opinion. Different institutes can call for probate, an accountant isn’t one of them. Ask specifically who is calling for the probate, and speak directly with them in regards to their policies.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:55 PM

Default CRA is the Institue, and yes, Letters of Adminstration needed

The Accountant is trying to file a "Terminal Year Return". CRA needs to know who the Representative of the Estate is, as it is the Representative of the Estate claiming to be entitled to do this. The Court is the author of the legal authority relied upon.

Thus, the Accountant is doing the right thing by asking for the Letters of Administration.

Drewski
Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Default Probate

Thank you for your replies,you have made this a lot easier for us to understand.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Deepest condolences for family and friends. I am sorry for your and their loss.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....