Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 PM

Default Christmas bonuses?

Any non executives here get one of those elusive Christmas bonuses the old timers tell story's about?
After four years and being responsible for aprox12 million in profits at my current employer I finally got one!
A wicker basket filled with junk food !?
Honestly shocked me to get something.

Hope at least a few of you made out alright.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM

I think most in the oil sector consider "still having a job!", bonus enough.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Just waiting for the 50% increase in OAS and CPP when the minimum wage goes to 15 bux.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-24-2015, 02:15 PM

My Christmas bonus will be no CPP or EI to pay next month.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:16 PM

I'm self employed so perhaps I'll have to get myself some new Christmas socks
Old 12-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think most in the oil sector consider "still having a job!", bonus enough.

True enough, thats always the case.
Once in awhile you hear about company's that value there employees and reward them accordingly though.
Its kinda a feel good keep the hope alive type of thing for me ,like hearing about someone winning the lotto or killing a 200+ buck.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:26 PM

You're gonna hate me for this, but your employer doesn't owe you a Christmas bonus - or any other kind of bonus.

Employers that hand them out to show that their employees are valued are great, and I loved to work for them back in my time, but it sure isn't mandatory nor should it be.

One thing I always noticed though - the Scrooges and cheapskates are the first ones to complain when "the good ones always leave" (just a thought).
Old 12-24-2015, 02:55 PM

Mrs Omega had a thumb reconstruction in July.
Got her regular Company year end bonus reduced by how many months she has been on leave.
Seems more than fair.
Thrilled to get it.
Now Manulife trying to claw back short term disability payments received in that period as they are trying to consider the bonus as regular employment income.
Life is never boring

Last edited by omega50; 12-24-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
You're gonna hate me for this, but your employer doesn't owe you a Christmas bonus - or any other kind of bonus.

Employers that hand them out to show that their employees are valued are great, and I loved to work for them back in my time, but it sure isn't mandatory nor should it be.

One thing I always noticed though - the Scrooges and cheapskates are the first ones to complain when "the good ones always leave" (just a thought).
Totally agree with all of this.
I was on a jobsite yesterday ( last day before off for holidays) , my boss came up to me , told me to adjust something, and left. No appreciation is kind of a bummer.

I have been thinking hard of leaving the last few weeks , but the rough economy gives me doubts. I am getting pretty fed up with lame bosses though. I 've had my share of them over the years.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:03 PM
AO Sponsor

I don't cut a Christmas bonus cheque for my employees, but I do always close from the 23rd until the first monday after new years and continue to pay them as if it was a normal work week(s). It doesn't come out of their holiday pay or holiday time, so I guess that is like a Christmas bonus...
Old 12-24-2015, 03:11 PM

I got a card and a box of chocolates from the main man(who I've never met) and we got a full days pay for a half day of work today.

Better than many I'm sure.

That's why I quadrupled my donation to the local food bank, this year.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2015, 03:17 PM

I have always agreed that my employer owes me nothing beyond the wages I've earned...which is why I am extremely thankful for the bonus he gave me. The equivalent of just over 2 weeks wages. I was blown away.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I don't cut a Christmas bonus cheque for my employees, but I do always close from the 23rd until the first monday after new years and continue to pay them as if it was a normal work week(s). It doesn't come out of their holiday pay or holiday time, so I guess that is like a Christmas bonus...
Your a good man too many think they are owed it. I am self employed and get no bonus. Ha ha
Old 12-24-2015, 03:20 PM

Got a phone call from the boss thanking me and my counterpart for the excellent this year saying a eve thou he does not talk with us much and that it may not seem like it, that we are truly appreciated.
Good enough me !
Cat
Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm self employed so perhaps I'll have to get myself some new Christmas socks
Being self employed as well, I don't usually get a Christmas bonus (as my kids keep getting Dividend cheques to help them on their way!), other than a few well deserved days off....this year however, 'The Company' splurged and we celebrated 15 years in business and 'The Company' was good enough to buy their President and Janitor a very nice Bulova Accutron watch, as a beautiful Swiss time piece has been on my wish list for a number of years.

Merry Christmas to All of the AO Family, health and loved ones close by are the real blessing, and for each and everyone who may not be doing so well right now, I sincerely hope that things look up for all of you in the New Year.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Laid off last year, I started contracting through an engineering company, I've only been working with them for 7 months and they gave me a cash Christmas bonus. Its the first bonus I've ever received aside from a ham once and a bottle or two. I think this arrangement is going to work out.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Your a good man too many think they are owed it. I am self employed and get no bonus. Ha ha
Oh I bought my bonus earlier this year, new Polaris Ranger loaded for ice fishing.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Self employed also, but yesterday I got my 1873 Winchester rifle from Clay at Prophet River. Its one of 250 only for all of North America. Never thought Clay would be able to get me one. Was ordered on Feb. 17 2015
I will call that my Christmas bonus. 44-40 full octagon 24 in. barrel.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Self employed also, but yesterday I got my 1873 Winchester rifle from Clay at Prophet River. Its one of 250 only for all of North America. Never thought Clay would be able to get me one. Was ordered on Feb. 17 2015
I will call that my Christmas bonus. 44-40 full octagon 24 in. barrel.
Sweet! you lucky bugger....I'd call that a win!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-24-2015, 03:57 PM

I have been contracting for a few years for the same person. The xmas bonus is the same as normal. Quite happy with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwa View Post
Totally agree with all of this.
I was on a jobsite yesterday ( last day before off for holidays) , my boss came up to me , told me to adjust something, and left. No appreciation is kind of a bummer.

I have been thinking hard of leaving the last few weeks , but the rough economy gives me doubts. I am getting pretty fed up with lame bosses though. I 've had my share of them over the years.
Ya bad time to be juggling jobs but trust me leaving a unappreciated position only to get a call in the near future trying to convince you to come back for more money and turning them down is kinda priceless in its own way.

Congratulations to those of you who did get a little something.
Its good to hear
Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Found out last year about 1/2 of the 12 guys got a nice gift north of $1000 (the 1/2 that are buddies with the manager). I guess when I was putting on 800kms/day for a month to help them out, it wasn't enough. I did get a card though. Wasn't expecting anything this year. I know working this year is a bonus but an email would've been nice. Also, Considering they wouldn't of had the contract if it wasn't for telling the client id be looking after the work. Oh well, time with the friends and family is gift enough.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Got laid off after five years this month, so no gold watch or bonus for me lol
But it could always be worse.

Previous employers have been amazing, one took us all and our dates to nicest place in town and told us all to order whatever we'd like, no limit!

One gave me a $250 dollar cheque, blew be away.

I remember the employers and managers that were nice, but the ones that didn't take time to atkeast shake my hand and say thanks for another year fade from my mind pretty quickly.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Found out last year about 1/2 of the 12 guys got a nice gift north of $1000 (the 1/2 that are buddies with the manager). I guess when I was putting on 800kms/day for a month to help them out, it wasn't enough. I did get a card though. Wasn't expecting anything this year. I know working this year is a bonus but an email would've been nice. Also, Considering they wouldn't of had the contract if it wasn't for telling the client id be looking after the work. Oh well, time with the friends and family is gift enough.

Sounds like we darn near work for the same outfit.
Let me guess do the work of 3 for the wage of .5 e.t.c ?
I think it's becoming the new normal.
Working my fourth Xmas day in a row for these guys.
Get a day of time and a half on the cheque at least.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Managers allocated budget for a staff lunch last week. I hear it was nice.
I had a field day booked and couldn't partake.
Slightly bummed there werent any leftovers...
Still nice that they did that though.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:24 PM

I've worked for the same employer for nearly 16 years now. Worked my way up from the bottom and every year each employee has received a bonus of some sort at Christmas. Size of and content has been contingent to position, years of service sort of scale. In the good times they have been fairly hefty. I honestly wasn't anticipating one this year but they continued.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 PM

My Christmas bonus was a 15% pay cut starting Jan 1, 2016

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 PM

One time many years ago the company I worked for announced that they would give all employees an October Halloween/Thanksgiving bonus of a "Headless Beast" in keeping mostly with Halloween - so they said.

The "Headless Beast" turned out to be a frozen turkey......
Old 12-24-2015, 06:00 PM

I hate these posts. It's a bonus. As in if you get one be thankful for it. If you don't you shouldn't complain. You could be one of 100,000 looking for work.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post

Like like like like like