Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Default How to stop impaired driving

There is a way to stop impaired driving. It would take the co-operation of at least 2 federal governments. Canadian & US feds make a law that any motorized vehicle car ,truck, boat, lawnmower ,etc. could only be mobilized by blowing into a breathalizer If you pass your vehicle will start if you fail it won't start... no more impaired driving. Make this mandatory on all motorized vehicles coming on market in say 2020 & the days of impaired driving in north America are numbered
Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 AM

that might stop some but not all .hey budy blow into this so I can go.or use a basker or what ever you call it and give it a wiff .
Old 12-24-2015, 05:32 AM

I know a guy who disabled his blow box so he could operate his vehicle impaired. This was on a long weekend a few years back and it was out west camping. He ended up running over a person and seriously injuring her. So the blow box does not prevent DD. it's up to people to make smart choices in life.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 AM

Good to be thinking of ways to stop drunk driving. This wont work however. Someone else could blow or it could be disabled. Plus the cost to install is about $1800. Even bringing the cost down I still would not want to pay it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 AM

I had a fellow working on my house and he never told me he had one of those machines in his truck. So I thought I would be nice and gave him one bottle of beer. Well he goes out to his truck and it would not start because of that one beer. He also said it was recorded that it would not start and would hurt him getting the machine taken off. I then had to entertain him for the next 3 hours while the beer left his system. So I am not complaining about his record but am saying the machines would have to be a bit better so a person could have one glass of wine with supper or then lets go all the way and stop selling booze.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Angry Nice dream there but

Stop it never but you can throw the roaches into chain gang roadside clean ups for two years, sell thier rides at auctions and put those funds into good use.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 12-24-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:52 AM

It's not about machines stopping people, it's about being responsible and accountable to yourself and others. Just say no
Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I had a fellow working on my house and he never told me he had one of those machines in his truck. So I thought I would be nice and gave him one bottle of beer. Well he goes out to his truck and it would not start because of that one beer. He also said it was recorded that it would not start and would hurt him getting the machine taken off. I then had to entertain him for the next 3 hours while the beer left his system. So I am not complaining about his record but am saying the machines would have to be a bit better so a person could have one glass of wine with supper or then lets go all the way and stop selling booze.
I believe the intent is to punish consequences when one drives drunk. Therefore zero tolerance should be expected and likely explained to him in the process.

Don't think a device with a max blood alcohol would work. If I recall it works off alcohol given off in the lungs. For that to happen alcohol has to get into the blood. So maybe if one downed a glass of vodka immediately before trying assuming none on your breath you could fool it. Being more sensitive helps that problem.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-24-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Stop it never but you can throw the roaches into chain gang roadside clean ups for two years, sell thier rides at auctions and put those funds into good use.
Or replenish the head count for all the cots in prison that are going to be empty when the marijuana convictions get over turned.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 AM

Always amazing how willing people are to give up their freedoms, to solve one problem. doesn't seem like much at the time and over time seems like less, but it's the domino effect in action. PUNISH the bastards that are guilty of this and you'll solve the problem. Come on now, a few months of luxury jail time for killing someone while impaired, not to mention the time discount for good behavior ? Just another idiotic solution paraded out by the MADD types.

Grizz
Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
There is a way to stop impaired driving. It would take the co-operation of at least 2 federal governments. Canadian & US feds make a law that any motorized vehicle car ,truck, boat, lawnmower ,etc. could only be mobilized by blowing into a breathalizer If you pass your vehicle will start if you fail it won't start... no more impaired driving. Make this mandatory on all motorized vehicles coming on market in say 2020 & the days of impaired driving in north America are numbered
OK, but who's paying for it? Ignition interlock systems cost a bundle to install and basically you're saying that all new vehicles would have to come with one and all existing vehicles on the road would have to have one installed??? I guess every garage and shop on the continent would be booked solid for about 3 years to have all these things installed. There are monthly monitoring fees attached and all IIS must be recalibrated every 90 days by law. Who's paying for all that? Who's doing all the work? Millions of vehicles on the road and every one has to have an appointment every 90 days to have a recalibration done??? Why should people who don't drink/are responsible drinkers etc have to endure such cost and headaches because of the actions of a few?What about people who have 1 beer or a glass of wine with supper and now their car won't start?

Get real.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
There is a whole lot of truth to that.

Can't be responsible? Vehicle seized and forfeited.

Too much time on their hands? 8 hrs of community service per day, 365 days per year. 2 years for first offense, 4 for second, 8 for third. Any more and it's life on the chain gang. Mandatory sentences, no judicial influence on sentencing.

Make the consequences so miserable anyone who can think will avoid it. Anyone who can't think, can be forced to add value to society.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 AM

The week after this goes into effect there will be a $20 device on Ebay to defeat it

First there was the radar detector then the radar detector detector used by police then the radar detector deflector and on and on
Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

Too much time on their hands? 8 hrs of community service per day, 365 days per year. 2 years for first offense, 4 for second, 8 for third. Any more and it's life on the chain gang. Mandatory sentences, no judicial influence on sentencing.

Make the consequences so miserable anyone who can think will avoid it. Anyone who can't think, can be forced to add value to society.
I agree but, Too expensive to feed and house them for even a year. Probably over $100 k per year. Gotta find a cheaper way.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I agree but, Too expensive to feed and house them for even a year. Probably over $100 k per year. Gotta find a cheaper way.
Oh no, they dont get the luxury of jail. They just have to show up every day for community service, so they lose their free time. Work 9-5, pick garbage/shovel snow 5-1, sleep, repeat. Or whatever schedule, but keep them busy being useful.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Its easy to fix. $10000 fine and vehicle seizure for the first time. Next time 100000 or 1 year labour. Caught without a license after seizure well that's 2 years labour. Make the fines intimidating.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Its easy to fix. $10000 fine and vehicle seizure for the first time. Next time 100000 or 1 year labour. Caught without a license after seizure well that's 2 years labour. Make the fines intimidating.
10 grand? That's about 5 grand short of what an impaired costs you now! Look it up, a first offence DUI will cost you about $15,000.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default Simple really ...

Hang one or two perpetrators. The rest should get in line .
Failing that ....drunk driving is mental disorder , should be
Treated as such , long treatment in mental institute .
If you kept wandering around in the city with a loaded gun
You would soon be subjected to a psychological assessment
And likely locked up . No difference .
We suck at protecting society .
Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Always amazing how willing people are to give up their freedoms, to solve one problem. doesn't seem like much at the time and over time seems like less, but it's the domino effect in action. PUNISH the bastards that are guilty of this and you'll solve the problem. Come on now, a few months of luxury jail time for killing someone while impaired, not to mention the time discount for good behavior ? Just another idiotic solution paraded out by the MADD types.

Grizz
X2

We already have laws in place, the problem is that we don't make offenders accountable for breaking them.

-Craig
Old 12-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Quote:
Oh no, they dont get the luxury of jail. They just have to show up every day for community service, so they lose their free time. Work 9-5, pick garbage/shovel snow 5-1, sleep, repeat. Or whatever schedule, but keep them busy being useful.
Is the whole job here to ruin the individuals life? Make them loose everything? Put their family through financial hardship that could lead to more serious incidents?

Some of you people quite frankly do not think. The whole objective is not to have someone realize they made a mistake but then to have them go to the extremes to not get caught due to the fact they will loose everything.

You will not stop dui's in North America, it would take actual work not some half ass bandaid approach of just increasing penalties. You need to change the general attitude and culture around drinking.

Way to many uneducated people that just want to increase penalties to assanine levels with zero interest in actual looking at the problem and trying to fix it from the roots.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newellknik View Post
Hang one or two perpetrators. The rest should get in line .
Failing that ....drunk driving is mental disorder , should be
Treated as such , long treatment in mental institute .
If you kept wandering around in the city with a loaded gun
You would soon be subjected to a psychological assessment
And likely locked up . No difference .
We suck at protecting society .
Lots of people walk around with loaded firearms south of us. You think these people are suffering from a mental disorder? Give your head a shake.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Is the whole job here to ruin the individuals life? Make them loose everything? Put their family through financial hardship that could lead to more serious incidents?

Some of you people quite frankly do not think. The whole objective is not to have someone realize they made a mistake but then to have them go to the extremes to not get caught due to the fact they will loose everything.

You will not stop dui's in North America, it would take actual work not some half ass bandaid approach of just increasing penalties. You need to change the general attitude and culture around drinking.

Way to many uneducated people that just want to increase penalties to assanine levels with zero interest in actual looking at the problem and trying to fix it from the roots.

I don't know how old you are but the acceptance of the drinking culture has changed very dramatically in my time on this ball of dirt.20 years ago it was common for the r.c.m.p in my home town to get the least drunk person to drive everyone home.
And in my father's youth it was common practice to load a keg and your buddy's in a car and cruise around.o no a $12 fine if you got pulled over.
His high school had fatalities at every grad he can recall due to drunk driving.
Not saying the problems fixed by any means but its acceptance or lack there off is night and day different in a relatively short time.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
X2

We already have laws in place, the problem is that we don't make offenders accountable for breaking them.

-Craig
Unfortunately our society would rather make more laws to prevent you from breaking the law than actually punish criminals.

Like care and control when sleeping in the back seat.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM

C'mon the answer has to be total prohibition of alcohol!
With no booze to be had, there will never be another case of imparted driving, right?
Waitaminit!
That sounds like the reasoning gun control activists use.......

Never mind!

There are no absolutes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

I think people should be careful when they start ASKING for more goverment monitoring of their own lives.

Do kids read Orwell in school anymore? I asked my nieces, and they had never heard of him. Bought them copies of Animal Farm and 1984 a couple Xmas's ago.

I think it is becoming more and more vital for parents to be teaching their kids about liberty and politics. It sure isn't happening in the public school system other than by a few dedicated old school teachers.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Still would happen. Just maybe a bit less.

First time 10000 fine, loss of car for 2 years.

Second time, loss of licence for 10 years. I'd be ok with stiff fines.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
That is about the most ridiculous idea that I have ever heard. The cost would be extreme to retrofit every vehicle with such a device, every mechanic would need to learn how to repair them, and every automotive store would have to stock parts for them. It would take many years to install the devices, and for the manufacturers to meet the demand in parts. As well, like everything else they fail, which would cause people even more issues, more time, and more money. Stupid idea!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 AM

I thought Redfrauds's not drunk driving penalties were supposed to put an end to drunk driving. Lots of the anti freedom crowd on here were all for it.

Those interlock devices don't even work on people that currently have them in the vehicle.

Why do some always want to inconvenience everyone while pushing their agenda?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is about the most ridiculous idea that I have ever heard. The cost would be extreme to retrofit every vehicle with such a device, every mechanic would need to learn how to repair them, and every automotive store would have to stock parts for them. It would take many years to install the devices, and for the manufacturers to meet the demand in parts. As well, like everything else they fail, which would cause people even more issues, more time, and more money. Stupid idea!
It's the same as Guncontrol freaks. The "if it saves one life/think of the children" crap is going to come out, and the agenda will march forward. It's no different than our one mega Union/OHS supporter forcing his agenda on farmers.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
X2

-Craig
Agreed, I personally think its shameful how many lawyers specialize in drunk driving defense. We need harsher enforcement of existing legislation and to have the crime treated exactly the same as if the offender stood in the middle of a crowded mall with a handgun extended at arms length, spinning in circles wearing a blindfold while occasionally pulling the trigger. They're essentially doing the exact same thing with their cars.......

Make the first punishment really memorable, and perhaps it will reduce the recidivism (though I do realize that some alcoholics are beyond help).