Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckshooter View Post
well it is kind of absurd....i can pack my 338 rifle no problem, but i can't hang a little handgun off my belt?? What are they afraid of?
voters!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
No kidding! I say keep politicians out of our sport, we can manage very well without them! After all, our kind have been doing it for centuries
I'd be a little careful with that statement if I were you. Might be a good idea to see how many species were nearly extirpated by the early 1900's.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
voters!
You might be onto something there. voters aren't known for being the brightest bulbs on the tree.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
voters!
I vote "yes" to carry a handgun so chock one up for the good guys/gals.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:30 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
You might be onto something there. voters aren't known for being the brightest bulbs on the tree.
My bulb in "dim" but my aim is true

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I'd be a little careful with that statement if I were you. Might be a good idea to see how many species were nearly extirpated by the early 1900's.
True, but Teddy Roosevelt would be rolling over in his grave if he knew of all the nonsense us hunters have to deal with these days.

Sportsmen and women have done more for wildlife then people that vote based on fear mongering to obtain power.

Last edited by edmhunter; 12-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
And how does that balance with risking your skin in grizzly country? It seems kind of funny that the threat of the law would over ride the need to protect our own hides??
When I am in grizzly country, I am usually hunting, so I am carrying a rifle, that will be much more effective than a handgun, for stopping a charging grizzly. Unlike most people that usually take part in these discussions, I have had a grizzly coming at me on a dead run, and I used my rifle to stop the charge. Fortunately, I was hunting grizzly at the time, so I have a nice grizzly rug as a reminder of that incident. Talking to my guide, who had guided over 50 grizzly hunters in his career, he has had hunters get excited and miss a standing bear at 100 yards, he has had hunters shoot and then jam their guns, he has had hunters that couldn't pull the trigger, and he has even had a hunter throw down his gun and run away, when in close proximity to a grizzly. He told me that some of the people that talked the toughest, were the people that panicked the most. I often wonder how some people would make out if they had to defend themselves from a charging grizzly with a handgun. That being said, I do believe that we should have the option of carrying a handgun in the wilderness. If you aren't competent enough to use it to defend yourself, then that is your problem, but you should be allowed to make that decision for yourself.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I am in grizzly country, I am usually hunting, so I am carrying a rifle, that will be much more effective than a handgun, for stopping a charging grizzly. Unlike most people that usually take part in these discussions, I have had a grizzly coming at me on a dead run, and I used my rifle to stop the charge. Fortunately, I was hunting grizzly at the time, so I have a nice grizzly rug as a reminder of that incident. Talking to my guide, who had guided over 50 grizzly hunters in his career, he has had hunters get excited and miss a standing bear at 100 yards, he has had hunters shoot and then jam their guns, he has had hunters that couldn't pull the trigger, and he has even had a hunter throw down his gun and run away, when in close proximity to a grizzly. He told me that some of the people that talked the toughest, were the people that panicked the most. I often wonder how some people would make out if they had to defend themselves from a charging grizzly with a handgun. That being said, I do believe that we should have the option of carrying a handgun in the wilderness. If you aren't competent enough to use it to defend yourself, then that is your problem, but you should be allowed to make that decision for yourself.
I was coming from the Bowhunting perspective. I hunt with both a rifle and a bow. If push comes to shove, I want stopping power! Just my survival instinct kicking in I guess. I have been charged by bears in the past. Worked out better for me then the bear, I am happy to say!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
True, but Teddy Roosevelt would be rolling over in his grave if he knew of all the nonsense us hunters have to deal with these days.

Sportsmen and women have done more for wildlife then people that vote based on fear mongering to obtain power.
Why would Teddy Roosevelt care what happens in Canada?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

What if our bros on the reserves started CCW? I know it already exists, but showing a little steel to the outsiders.

Make it into a charter case paid by the people of Canada.

Opinions.

No need to dump on our native brethren.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Or maybe start off slow and carry a Kirpan like our Sikh brothers? Kind of a gateway....weapon...?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Why would Teddy Roosevelt care what happens in Canada?
When he lived he cared about wild places and wild animals, so do I, don't you Bergerboy?

I was responding to post #122, Mat's post.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
When he lived he cared about wild places and wild animals, so do I, don't you Bergerboy?

I was responding to post #122, Mat's post.
Did he really or is that just some weird twist of 'merican history like what really went down at the Alamo?

Yes I care much for wild places and wild animals as I invest a ton of hours to a conservation society every year.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Did he really or is that just some weird twist of 'merican history like what really went down at the Alamo?

Yes I care much for wild places and wild animals as I invest a ton of hours to a conservation society every year.
The code of fair chase was begun by Mr. Roosevelt. Yes he really cared. Take a look into the man's life, it's quite interesting. We as sportsmen owe a lot to Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Exmpler was the one who made the alcohol comparison.

And as we saw in pretty much ALL the threads about driving, there are quite a number of people who don't think rules/laws/regulations apply to them because they're smarter than the average bear.

My viewpoint comes from "Half the population is of below average intelligence", and I'd rather they didn't have hand cannons on them all the time.
Vote Lieberal, do you?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was only teasing you Bergerboy, of course you do, as do I. Did you get a laugh out of my last PM?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I was only teasing you Bergerboy, of course you do, as do I. Did you get a laugh out of my last PM?
Yes I did. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 PM

One can always purchase a "Prescribed Antique" for bush use.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
One can always purchase a "Prescribed Antique" for bush use.
I do, why should I have to?
Why do people wet there pants when they see a pistol? Fishguner, can you explain?
Pppppppppppppp. Ppppppppppp pppppppppppp pppistols scare mmmmmmmeeeee. .?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:05 AM

I have my doubts that it will ever fly but I'd most certainly carry if I could. And to those of you opposed! Don't ever assume to try to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with whatever rationalizations seem to make sense to you. Do whatever the hell you want, I couldn't care less.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:49 AM

Forget the bears... Moose are far more dangerous.

I have encountered many a black bear, and a few grizzlies. I have been charged once.

That said, I have been charged and hit by a moose..... would have been fatal if I had not been in my truck.....

Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Banned

Yep, they are dangerous all right, shouldn't trust any wild creatures. In their minds eye it's life or death while we are thinking fun and games!

Was chased by a cow moose once, never realized I could run that fast with rubber boots on ! hehe.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Yep, they are dangerous all right, shouldn't trust any wild creatures. In their minds eye it's life or death while we are thinking fun and games!

Was chased by a cow moose once, never realized I could run that fast with rubber boots on ! hehe.
I wear the green Dunlops... if you outran a moose in them, my hat's off to you!
Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
I wear the green Dunlops... if you outran a moose in them, my hat's off to you!
Never said I out ran it, luckily for me a farmer was clearing his 1/4 of trees and had them stacked about 10 - 15 feet high. Made it to the wood pile just in time and the way I climbed it would have made any squirle proud! lol
Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Why do people wet there pants when they see a pistol? Fishguner, can you explain?
No one is losing function? ?? Unless you are?? Maybe you missed the fact that pistols are more lightly to be invoved in a crime vs grandpas 303? Why are certain firearms chosen for specific tasks or missuses ??? That correlate directly with the intent of said fire arm ?? High capacity carbines used for sustained acurate fire on multiple targets ??? Pistols being used in short range/ /close quarters ?? Hmmm cant think why ?? Why cant I drive an f1 on deer foot ?? Why cant I roll in a chieftain ? Why drinking and driving laws ?? LOSEST COMMON DENOMINATOR ...the avarage canadian has no or little use for a side arm . And honestly for .00001% that a dangerous wild life incounter will turn fatal it is understandable.. do you wear a helmet when you go out side ??
Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Why cant I drive an f1 on deer foot ????
Because I have watched you drive... and it ain't pretty If ya can't drive the Yugo... why go all out for F1?

OTOH, Last time I was in Calgary, I wanted an F1 Car for the deerfoot..

I had to settle for the Vette.

FG, I think it boils down to choice, and trust. Do we not trust ourselves to be responsible for our own personal safety of ourselves and our families? If we are already vetted as non-criminals, why do we not have THE CHOICE to carry or not?

I would trust the holder of an RPAL at their word over that of an ordinary citizen.... At least I know they have been back checked.

Do you have an RPAL?

The USA is different. So many people CCW/OCW every day and nothing happens... but I guess that is the point.

Want more crime and less guns? The US has it. Chicago, Wash DC, etc

Less Crime, MORE Guns? Texas, Utah, Montana.....
Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
LMAO.... that there is funny!!!!!!

I think I jyst pppppp....pppppp...peeeed myself laughing!!!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:23 AM

Love this video ... The Nuge in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99_C0qqnI4
Old 12-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
No one is losing function? ?? Unless you are?? Maybe you missed the fact that pistols are more lightly to be invoved in a crime vs grandpas 303? Why are certain firearms chosen for specific tasks or missuses ??? That correlate directly with the intent of said fire arm ?? High capacity carbines used for sustained acurate fire on multiple targets ??? Pistols being used in short range/ /close quarters ?? Hmmm cant think why ?? Why cant I drive an f1 on deer foot ?? Why cant I roll in a chieftain ? Why drinking and driving laws ?? LOSEST COMMON DENOMINATOR ...the avarage canadian has no or little use for a side arm . And honestly for .00001% that a dangerous wild life incounter will turn fatal it is understandable.. do you wear a helmet when you go out side ??
Same old tired argument, "guns cause crime". I own 10 handguns and yet none of them has hurt anyone or been involved in a crime.

You can drive an f1 if it meets motor vehicle laws.

Why not a ban on alcohol, no real need for it.

The point is, I am allowed to wear a helmet when I go outside if I choose to.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Same old tired argument, "guns cause crime". I own 10 handguns and yet none of them has hurt anyone or been involved in a crime.

You can drive an f1 if it meets motor vehicle laws.

Why not a ban on alcohol, no real need for it.

The point is, I am allowed to wear a helmet when I go outside if I choose to.
Exactly. Guns, knives,Machete, Kukhri, sword, rope, tree chipper, chainsaw, piano wire. None are dangerous at all.

It is the intent and morals of the person wielding these items that make them dangerous or not.
Closed Thread