Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Save Caribou Program in Grand Cache area

Hello All, has anyone heard of the Save Caribou program in the grand Cache area ?? Apparently the government is allowing the biologists to kill moose from a helicopter then poison them with strychnine to try to kill off the wolves as they think the wolves are killing the caribou. In fact they are killing everything else, ravens bears etc. If the wolves are the problem, IF THE WOLVES are the problem put a bounty on them to encourage the trappers and hunters to thin them out, why are they willing animals to kill animals. Especially moose when the reports are claiming the moose population is declining.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Yes this is been going on for a few years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 03:22 PM

If they can kill a pack of wolves by sacrificing one moose, I say go for it. If they kill a few bears and ravens along the way, that will also help the moose, sheep, goat, deer, elk and caribou populations.

I think a bounty is a great idea, but most of the guys I know of that own trap lines in the mountain zones wouldn't change tax brackets if they were paid $10 000 per wolf and they turned in ten per year. Poisoning is the only practical solution to the wolf problem in the mountains. Helicopter shooting is too expensive, too many FMA's are tied up by trappers that don't snare wolves, and hunters will never kill enough to make a difference.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-10-2018, 04:05 PM

There is another problem, Too many trap lines owned by people that are not trapping.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperC View Post
There is another problem, Too many trap lines owned by people that are not trapping.
And the ones that are and do their part and were told they would be compensated were used and taken advantage of.....
Pay me $1-2K a wolf and make it worth my time please......
It cost me thousands of my own money last year to catch %14 percent of the wolves of the total pool.
Good luck pulling the wool over my eyes again!
I'll let the Gov't pay the $6K to the guys shooting from helecopters and poisoning them and see how the tax payers feel about the price once they find out the trappers can do it just as good or better for a 1/3 the price!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Not to derail the thread, but is this really sounding like government mismanagement? AGAIN?? Can't be, that is just not possible!!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 PM

All Indications are that poison is working great as the wolves regurgitate the meat which is then eaten when the next pack swings through the area.
They are cleaning out multiple packs from a single set over the winter and calves are surviving.

Now the bios should start helping the gets by Nipisi lake and the herd north of amadeau lake as well.

No reason those two herds should not be 100 strong other than the wolves and bears of course.

Drewski
Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=nube;3890054
I'll let the Gov't pay the $6K to the guys shooting from helecopters and poisoning them and see how the tax payers feel about the price once they find out the trappers can do it just as good or better for a 1/3 the price![/QUOTE]

If it were up to trappers to rid this country of wolves it would take waaay to long. I’ve witnessed how they poison wolves and it works!
In this case a rancher reported a dead cow, fish and wildlife showed up poisoned the cow and the next morning the whole pack was within 100 yards of the cow. Done.
I, as a tax payer would rather them fuel up the helicopters and actually get something accomplished then to have trappers spend weeks for one or two wolves. Makes no sense, just like you said.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 PM

People will be watching...

CBC Doc
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Trouble with trapping is that you could take out the Alpha Male and / or female and split the pack into TWO new packs that both produce pups in the Spring.

Poison does not do that.

Drewski
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Trouble with trapping is that you could take out the Alpha Male and / or female and split the pack into TWO new packs that both produce pups in the Spring.

Poison does not do that.

Drewski
That has been proven false over and over. The next in line just steps up, maybe they fight about it a little but the pack doesn’t automatically split. That little tale was probably made up by Dwight and AVB who hate trapping. Less experienced, smaller, younger wolves have a lower kill ratio and lower survival.

And yes, poison is the solution. Less ravens and bears is also good thing.

Here’s another one regarding mismanagement by f&w: Anyone want to guess where they move problem grizzly bears to? That’s right, right into caribou range. SMH
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM

That’s *****ed up in my mind.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 AM

If this works, then why not drop dead, poisoned cows from helicopters rather than shoot moose. Ranchers will tell you there are lots of cows that die in feedlots and holding areas that could be used rather than shoot another game animal.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:24 AM

They will not allow the use of dead cattle as bait, concern with disease transfer. However for the life of me I can not understand why they would not use all the road kill moose, elk and deer in the immediate area for wolf bait.
Lastly, trappers like Nube can take out alot of wolves if given some decent compensation if form of bounty. AEP just need to grow some kehonees and implement a system that has worked for 75 years to lower wolf preditation on caribou.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Support the poisoning and helicopter gunning!!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
They will not allow the use of dead cattle as bait, concern with disease transfer. However for the life of me I can not understand why they would not use all the road kill moose, elk and deer in the immediate area for wolf bait.
Lastly, trappers like Nube can take out alot of wolves if given some decent compensation if form of bounty. AEP just need to grow some kehonees and implement a system that has worked for 75 years to lower wolf preditation on caribou.
Trappers also are not allowed to use poison and they have to contend with some hunters stealing equipment and messing with sets. Not all hunters and not a lot, but it all reduces their effectiveness.

Plus we are only allowed to use specified traps and snares. SRD can use anything they wish.

Even on my line, as inaccessible as it was, I lost equipment to hunters. Well actually one, outfitter. And I had whole strings of sets tripped by so called animal lovers.

Try that with a government operation and chances are you'd go to jail. Do it to me and SRD will file a complaint. End of story.

I, or any trapper also is one individual with a limited territory and limited equipment options.
SRD have access to any number of helpers, state of the art equipment, no seasons, province wide jurisdiction and a decent pay check even if they never kill a single wolf.

That is a bit of why SRD are so much more efficient then trappers in controlling wolves. When they put in the effort.

But they are not the answer either. Because, number one, they put all their efforts into placating complaints in one area and ignore all others.

We have tons of wolves here and SRD is doing nothing to control them in this area. And yeah, we have Woodland Caribou. What we don't have is tons of outfitters and ranchers crying about loss of revenue.

Money talks they say, and trappers simply don't have much, so they are not heard.

George Bernard Shaw