Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Banned

Default Big Trees?

So I'm in Edm, and they tell me a big storm is on the way. I figured I might as well move my vehicles to the back in case a branch comes down. I took a moment to look at the magnificant Elm trees, and realised that they look bigger then any Iv'e seen hunting or fishing lately. I took a fence string, tied a knot in it, pinned it, and wrapped it around the tree. 78", or 7' 6 ' girth at around 4' from ground. Some of the trees on my block look bigger.
Any members have some monster tree's in your area? They look great, but....

It's all good in the hood
Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 AM
Banned

Those elms are particularly suspect of breaking at the larger branches. A few year back, when we had one of those May snow storms when the leaves are already out, three of my elm trees broke off huge branches, one of them blocking most of the street in front of my house. City was good enough to remove it, and took the other ones with them. It could have been all on my dime, so I appreciated it.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Shorter stubby trees like elm, maple etc do not normally cause much problem in high wind. The most dangerous ones are those like spruce ,pine, trembling aspen that are 100+ feet tall lots of whiplash on them. Black poplar with poor center core/rott are very dangerous in the high winds. Healthy trees that have stood for more than 100 years have obviously been tested by many wind storms.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM

There are a lot of our grade 1 free trees that are now towering above homes. Mine and my sisters are still standing at the parents home. Have to wonder with the winds we get now when some may come down.

I just had a Spruce and an Ash cut down by half due to their size and the wind they catch. The Spruce was a leaner to the alley and a bunch of power wires, the Ash grew quite a bit in 2 wet summers and caught me off guard, I couldn't get up high enough on a ladder and trim it myself anymore. It had a big V in the trunk and if it any of it came down, it would be garage, RV or vehicles. Too risky if either came down in a wind storm. No worries at my house when the winds blow now.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Shorter stubby trees like elm, maple etc do not normally cause much problem in high wind. The most dangerous ones are those like spruce ,pine, trembling aspen that are 100+ feet tall lots of whiplash on them. Black poplar with poor center core/rott are very dangerous in the high winds. Healthy trees that have stood for more than 100 years have obviously been tested by many wind storms.
Yup. We had one come down on my Wife's CRV last summer out at the lake. The tree had leaves and looked healthy but the core at the bottom was honeycombed in the centre from ants. I took out all of the larger trees around the trailer and I found another tree with the same issue. Wife now has a new vehicle and we have lots of firewood.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
Those elms are particularly suspect of breaking at the larger branches. A few year back, when we had one of those May snow storms when the leaves are already out, three of my elm trees broke off huge branches, one of them blocking most of the street in front of my house. City was good enough to remove it, and took the other ones with them. It could have been all on my dime, so I appreciated it.
On our block alone I have had 2 vehicles written of, and neighbor has had 3. I have pics of that wet snowstorm that brought down hundreds of huge branches all over our part of town.
If the Elm you are talking about is on the boulavard then it is the Cities responsibility to clean up the mess. Just call 311
Old 05-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

Big mess to clean up after today's storm. Here's a couple trees that have come down in the neighbourhood. Some big elm branches but 2 spruce have come down completely. One snapped 4' off ground.
Darn pics are not sending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Sylvan Lake ..... our 100+ year old Willow tree sure took a beating, taken just after 4:00 pm today, north wind must of been between 80-90 KPH, looks like a major clean up in the days ahead.

Z-z

Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM

We have 100' + pines at our place. Hope they are still standing when I get there.

Sylvans getting hammered right now.....and jet skiers are still on the lake.