Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Default The dandelion war is heating up

Dandelions, I hate them.

I'm trying out some new attack methods after using the tactical nuclear options last season (round up) after a spectacular kill spree it seems to have little effect on them this year and my lawn is cratered like WW1 France with dead spots. This year I've decided to go start with a chemical attack of killex lawn and weed control followed by a bio attack of C-I-L Golfgreen Bio-weed & Feed. What do you guys find that works best For keeping them away. I've tried over seeding leaving the lawn long and even hand to hand with my trusty screwdriver. I haven't tried boiling water or vinegar and have gone straight to the chemical and bio options but these guys are as tuff as the Taliban and nothing seems to stop them coming back.

Last edited by Dubious; 05-22-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Do you write books?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Banned

Here are some alternative methods to battle the dandelion flower (if you must!) without the use of harmful pesticides:

The Hard Way: by hand, pull up each dandelion from the root. Make sure to get the entire root or the dandelion will come back.

The Not So Hard Way: Use the Weed Hound to pull dandelions out of the ground without bending over and tweaking your back.

Decapitation: remove the heads from the dandelions while they are still yellow flowers; preventing them from getting to the germination phase (a puffball of a thousand seeds) can impede dandelion proliferation.

Corn Gluten: apply corn gluten to your lawn each year and it will suppress dandelion growth as well as the growth of other weeds; You can order your non-toxic, weed killing corn gluten in a 6 lb or 20 lb bag online.

Vinegar: use a vinegar that is at least 15-25% acetic, your household vinegar is 5-10% acetic and not strong enough for the job. We recommend a vinegar product called Burnout by St. Gabriel Labs. It has specifically been designed for gardeners that wish to kill weeds the non-toxic way.

I have done the decapitation,it sort of works.
This is the link :
http://mydandelionisaflower.org/
Old 05-22-2017, 04:07 PM

Never going to be fully rid of them, but they are pretty easy to control. Spraying a mature dandelion this time of year usually won't kill them. Spray in fall after a good hard frost with a 2 4 D product (Par 3 or Trillion). Next year just a bit of spot spraying when you see yellow flowers. They should be new plants and easier to kill.
Dandelions are easy to get rid of. Clover and wild strawberries....now those are a bugger

Keep lawn fertilized as well. It helps.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Make wine and enjoy the season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Pretty hard to keep your lawn free of them when the cities blvd's and green space is all yellow. I don't try for fairways of green but try to keep them in check. Weed Be gone is a good dandelion killer.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

heres a crazy idea, being an outdoors forum and all: how about take your panties off and stop trying to kill a super healthy plant with poison!! make tea, jelly, salad, etc.
the zombie apocalypse is upon us!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:35 PM
Banned

Pick em and make a salad...

You sound like a bunch of grumpy old men.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM

2-4D works every time and they are gone, that is until your neighbours seeds blow into your yard. Killex is a good brand. You need to spray in spring with good even coverage and have a few days before rain. The seeds and roots starting to grow after spray will come back next year so need to spray again. After 2-3 years if you do not have green fools as neighbours you will be rid of them. PS if you spray enough maybe rid of the greens to when they move.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 AM

We've got a bunch that have started growing between patio bricks that we would like to get rid of. No worries about killing anything nearby obviously. However, we have a dog, so I'm looking for solutions that would be safe for him. I figure Killex wouldn't be a good idea. Suggestions?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Par III
Once I got the dandelions under control (2 acres of lawn) the grass took over and now its just a maintenance issue as opposed to all out war. Stay on top and your lawn will look great.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 AM

From what I read, killex is considered to be safe for pets and people once dry. For whatever reason, however, it is not for sale Ontario, Quebec, and some other provinces. Having said that, I use it and it works; but I don't let my daughter hang around in the areas I spray for some time. It actually works better than round up in my experience. I used round up for the first time this year and it appeared to work very slowly. The leaves on the dandelions started to get yellow and they appeared to be drying until the new leaves popped up in about a week or so after the application. It did kill the unwanted grass no problems though, or it appears so for now.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM

x2 on Killex
Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Trillion works on quite a few weeds, including clover.

Key is getting the dandilions when the flowers are yellow, before they blow seed that will torment you all summer and next summer.

Control is subject to neigbours who may be the source of the problem.

Spray down wind, strip off your clothes after spraying and wash them, and take a shower yourself immediately after spraying. Wash your shoes as well as you will walk through the stuff. Rubber boots are great if it is not too hot out.

Wear nitrile disposable gloves when spraying, as well as safety glasses.

Just sprayed 4 gallons of mix on nice yellow dandilions and thistle that were emerging. Now I wait and see how bad the neighbours' yards are.

Drewski
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olthreelegs View Post
heres a crazy idea, being an outdoors forum and all: how about take your panties off and stop trying to kill a super healthy plant with poison!! make tea, jelly, salad, etc.
the zombie apocalypse is upon us!!!
Exactly! They are also super beneficial to pollinators.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Trillion works on quite a few weeds, including clover.

Key is getting the dandilions when the flowers are yellow, before they blow seed that will torment you all summer and next summer.

Control is subject to neigbours who may be the source of the problem.

Spray down wind, strip off your clothes after spraying and wash them, and take a shower yourself immediately after spraying. Wash your shoes as well as you will walk through the stuff. Rubber boots are great if it is not too hot out.

Wear nitrile disposable gloves when spraying, as well as safety glasses.

Just sprayed 4 gallons of mix on nice yellow dandilions and thistle that were emerging. Now I wait and see how bad the neighbours' yards are.

Drewski

I just strip before doing the spraying. Saves me from having to do laundry, and keeps the neighbors away.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
We've got a bunch that have started growing between patio bricks that we would like to get rid of. No worries about killing anything nearby obviously. However, we have a dog, so I'm looking for solutions that would be safe for him. I figure Killex wouldn't be a good idea. Suggestions?
for areas such as walk ways, brick patios, driveways, raised garden before planting, etc I use a tiger torch. Obviously not against the house or wood fence. It is quick, leaves no residue and works. If the plant is already established it may take a few times before it stops coming back but it is fast enough I don't mind and I not worried about pets or kids after. The key is to just wilt the plant not burn it completely and don't use it on thistle (will spread the seeds)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Exactly! They are also super beneficial to pollinators.
The sea of yellow that is the City of Edmonton property is good for pollinators. They don't need my yard.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you are - don't like using chemicals, like 2-4-D, that are harmful to people or pets despite the "safe when dry" label on the Killex.

2-4-D residual is listed as "inactive when dry" ..... which means it's no longer effective on plants (a 90% reduction in activation/strength upon drying). It's pretty much done it's job and killed within the wet period.

Problem is, even after it's dry, It can be measured up to 6 days thereafter at a concentration high enough to warrant caution.

A dilemma for sure.

On my front lawn, it's Greendrop, worth every penny and I haven't seen a dandelion in years. They use 2-4-D but the dogs don't run around out front very often nor do they spend more than a minute or two on the front lawn and never within days after the Greendrop guy has applied.

My back lawn is terrible this year and I'm not about dig up roots and make holes in my back yard to look like a Beruit bombing run and end up straining my back leading to me laying around with icy hot patches on my back for a week.

I'm debating treating my 1/2 my lawn with Killex and leaving the dogs off that half for a week. Then I will do the other and repeat. That's the thought .... not 100% convinced myself yet.

Just don't trust the label saying it's ok to let kid/dogs on it after it's dry. Even at 10% that stuff is a known carcinogen and poison.

Anyone in Edmonton want to come pull my weeds for me? lol. I have cold beer in the fridge.

Last edited by EZM; 05-23-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Dandelions, I hate them.

I'm trying out some new attack methods after using the tactical nuclear options last season (round up) after a spectacular kill spree it seems to have little effect on them this year and my lawn is cratered like WW1 France with dead spots. This year I've decided to go start with a chemical attack of killex lawn and weed control followed by a bio attack of C-I-L Golfgreen Bio-weed & Feed. What do you guys find that works best For keeping them away. I've tried over seeding leaving the lawn long and even hand to hand with my trusty screwdriver. I haven't tried boiling water or vinegar and have gone straight to the chemical and bio options but these guys are as tuff as the Taliban and nothing seems to stop them coming back.
I'd say consult Basar Al Assad, he is experts with chemicals
Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
iv heard strychnine does a number on those dandelions.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
The sea of yellow that is the City of Edmonton property is good for pollinators. They don't need my yard.
Ya, they can just go to any of our kids soccer fields too. I see our 1 field is about 30 % yellow this week.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 PM

If I don't use chemicals then I can't enjoy the chrunching noises of my shoes walking over there bone dry crispy carcasses all the dandelions must go! Where do I buy this par 3 or trillion.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
If I don't use chemicals then I can't enjoy the chrunching noises of my shoes walking over there bone dry crispy carcasses all the dandelions must go! Where do I buy this par 3 or trillion.
Both can be had at UFA.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'm debating treating my 1/2 my lawn with Killex and leaving the dogs off that half for a week. Then I will do the other and repeat. That's the thought .... not 100% convinced myself yet.
That's exactly what I try to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Just don't trust the label saying it's ok to let kid/dogs on it after it's dry. Even at 10% that stuff is a known carcinogen and poison
For sure. There is gotta be a reason this stuff is not for sale in some provinces. But it is actually the only thing I am aware of that takes care of the damn things while keeping the lawn intact. Every time I spray, I question whether it is worth it though; but I do love me nice lawn

Also, I forgot to mention that I do pick any dandelion flowers anytime I see them anywhere on my property. Once picked , they go to the garbage bag or fire pit. If you leave them out in the open, they will ripen and produce seed, regardless of the stage of blooming you pick it in (even if it is still a few days before it actually opens up).
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Stones had a song about dandelions I think back in the day.

Ay yes ..
Blow away dandelion.
Rich man, poor man, beggar man, sailor, theif.
Ah, ahh, ah.
No body smells worse than a working mans stinky feet.
Ah, oh ah.

Blow away dandelion.

Dandelions can make you wise
Dandelions won't compromise
Dandelions will tell no lies
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away Dandelions

Last edited by Bonescreek; 05-23-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 AM
Banned

They are beautiful and only last a month .
Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:

Bleach
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Never going to be fully rid of them, but they are pretty easy to control. Spraying a mature dandelion this time of year usually won't kill them. Spray in fall after a good hard frost with a 2 4 D product (Par 3 or Trillion). Next year just a bit of spot spraying when you see yellow flowers. They should be new plants and easier to kill.
Dandelions are easy to get rid of. Clover and wild strawberries....now those are a bugger

Keep lawn fertilized as well. It helps.
X2 Any spraying this time of year is only temporary. A dandelion is a perennial. Spraying them this time of year will kill the tops but not the roots. You need to spray them in the fall at about the time the trees turn color. That's the time all the perennials are putting their energy into the root in preparation to go dormant for winter. It takes the herbicide down with it and kills the root.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Proper spray with 2-4D/Killex will kill dandelion anytime of year including roots. Spray in fall is "Old wives tale" If you neglect your weeds for one year you will fight them for seven years.