Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Raven River

Hey All,

I took my father in law to the Raven River last night (Checked the regs 4 times before going to make sure it was open... You can never be too careful!)

We fished near the bridge on RR 42. The water seemed to be at a normal level, and I could see bottom for the most part... Clarity was similar to that of a very weak tea.

There were some small black bugs under the rocks in the creek, maybe around 0.5 cm. I didn't manage any strikes, but my father in law had one strike, but didn't set the hook.

There was lots of nice structure, but all I ever hear is how spooky the fish are in that river... I was wading my way up stream... Would the water splashing around my waders spook the fish up stream of me?

I'm still learning the ropes, and it was a beautiful night out there on the river.... I hope to be back, one day.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post

There was lots of nice structure, but all I ever hear is how spooky the fish are in that river... I was wading my way up stream... Would the water splashing around my waders spook the fish up stream of me?

Yes especially if it is slow water pool in the lower end of the same pool your fishing through. Not as important if it was a fast water pool with rapids and rocky solid bottom. That soft ground slower calmer water transmits footstep and wader slosh vibrations like pudding quivers. The fish are very aware of something out of place in that environment.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yes especially if it is slow water pool in the lower end of the same pool your fishing through. Not as important if it was a fast water pool with rapids and rocky solid bottom. That soft ground slower calmer water transmits footstep and wader slosh vibrations like pudding quivers. The fish are very aware of something out of place in that environment.
So given this situation, would. It be better to walk the bank and enter slowly, or hop in, and wait ten minutes (or however long) before actively fishing it?

So much to learn... Yeesh.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 PM

When ever I fished the Raven I always moved slowly. Much like still hunting white tailed deer. Inching my way upstream. The browns in there can be huge and spooky. I loved fishing it as it was a challenge and more like Frenchman then not the fish won!

BW
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Hey All,

I took my father in law to the Raven River last night (Checked the regs 4 times before going to make sure it was open... You can never be too careful!)

We fished near the bridge on RR 42. The water seemed to be at a normal level, and I could see bottom for the most part... Clarity was similar to that of a very weak tea.

There were some small black bugs under the rocks in the creek, maybe around 0.5 cm. I didn't manage any strikes, but my father in law had one strike, but didn't set the hook.

I'm still learning the ropes, and it was a beautiful night out there on the river.... I hope to be back, one day.

Jeff
Raven is a humbling river to fish.

The water of Stauffer is always normal. There might be slight changes in clarity based on rain and snow melt, but most of the time it is crystal clear. Being one of the few spring-fed creeks in the province, environmental factors have minimal effect on it. It never freezes. It never floods. So, any deflection from the norm is immediately noticed; that is what makes Stauffer so hard to fish. The fish are not really spooky as much as they are afforded hyper-awareness

If you are lucky enough to catch a hatch where the fish are focused on a particular bug or happen to see a feeding fish, you have struck pay dirt.

I do not want to seem negative or critical, but to fish Stauffer and be successful, you either have to be on your A-game or very lucky.