Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That's what we were finding too...accumulation of a liver toxin doesn't sound worth it personally.

LC
Why do I bother....
Is there a single item of food that we eat on this planet that has not been exposed to some sort of pollution or toxen? Your saying that the Verpa's are toxic and the Morels are not? You did some research and decided not to pick them? Give me a break.
Eat them, don't eat them, up to you. I love them, and will continue to enjoy them, as have countless others for a very long time.
Next you'll be saying we should all stop eating meat.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Why do I bother....
Is there a single item of food that we eat on this planet that has not been exposed to some sort of pollution or toxen? Your saying that the Verpa's are toxic and the Morels are not? You did some research and decided not to pick them? Give me a break.
Eat them, don't eat them, up to you. I love them, and will continue to enjoy them, as have countless others for a very long time.
I was simply asking a question, you know to gain knowledge? Pollution is different than a inherit toxin...that can cause liver damage.

I am saying science says the Verpa contain a toxin...it's well documented I am not making it up. So if someone else reads this they can make an informed decision on the risk vs. reward.

Give you a break? Ummm ok. I just said I picked some, decide to not eat them...sorry that offends you somehow.

Nope never would say stop eating meat...but I will say stop putting words in my mouth.

So back to my question as you are the shroom guy not me, So are the mushrooms you picked in the pic you posted true morel or false morel? I am trying I learn what I should and shouldn't pick.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Now you guys fighting over mushrooms. Last time I got told to stop preaching ethics. I think we need ethics 'round here. Bahaha.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Now you guys fighting over mushrooms. Last time I got told to stop preaching ethics. I think we need ethics 'round here. Bahaha.
Ethics we don't need no stinking ethics lol.

LC
Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Why do I bother....
If he know mushrooms like he knows hunting regulations, he'll be paralyzed by Saturday.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If he know mushrooms like he knows hunting regulations, he'll be paralyzed by Saturday.

Question is.....if it's ok in BC does that mean it's ok in AB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was simply asking a question, you know to gain knowledge? Pollution is different than a inherit toxin...that can cause liver damage.

I am saying science says the Verpa contain a toxin...it's well documented I am not making it up. So if someone else reads this they can make an informed decision on the risk vs. reward.

Give you a break? Ummm ok. I just said I picked some, decide to not eat them...sorry that offends you somehow.

Nope never would say stop eating meat...but I will say stop putting words in my mouth.

So back to my question as you are the shroom guy not me, So are the mushrooms you picked in the pic you posted true morel or false morel? I am trying I learn what I should and shouldn't pick.

LC
Ok, fair enough. As someone who has picked and eaten various types of mushrooms for over 50 years and who learned about the local ones from his grandfather who picked them for 50 years before I was born, I'll let you in on a well known secret. You can read all the books, do as much research as possible, and even google shrooms, but NO ONE is a true expert. If someone tells you they know know everything about mushrooms, they are full of chit. They are discovering new ones all the time, and no experts really agree about which ones belong to which genus, family, species, etc. etc. Life is too short for me to really do a comprehensive study on Fungi. What's important to me is knowing which one's are safe to eat.
In AB I am really only sure of about 4-6 shrooms that I would eat, or tell someone else they are safe to eat. I don't know what the long term effects of eating Verpa's are (and neither are you, or any other experts you might trot out) but I can tell you with 100% certanty that prepared properly, they are a delicacy that cannot be bought in a store.
Are they true Morel's? No. Do they taste any different then a true Morel? No. Are they as safe to eat as a true Morel? I say yes, but who really knows? They might be safer to eat then true Morels. You guy's that turn your noses up at these "false morel's" are missing out on a rare picking season. In living memory, none of my relatives remember a season like this one, and personally, it's been about 5 years since I picked more then an ice cream pail of them. I plan on being out there again tomorrow, and if things go according to plan, in a week or two, the really big black heads (true Morel's) will start flowering.
No matter what, I've already had a great harvest, and unless I run into mama bear or moose, the rest is a bonus.
See you guys in the field.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM

In days gone by, we have all likely done foolish things that are harmful. Knowing what is known about the toxins present in many verpa, and the potential to stay in one's system for extended periods of time, I can't see how eating them is wise. Do they taste great? Sure. Playing with mercury was fun when you were a kid, but how many would do it now? Best to be picky ad wait for the real thing.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yeh it's silly, but you need a thick skin to be on the internet. I esp. love it when the the trolls speak out with nothing intelligent to add.
I'm about to have some steak smoothered with mushrooms, onions and a baked potato. Now you guys have me worried about eating meat. I heard it might be bad for you. Research say's humans shouldn't eat meat. I'm sure some of you guy's agree. I've got an early appointment tomorrow, so I'll see what new words of wisdom some of you can add to this thread tomorrow evening. I'd much rather see some pic's of some good Morel harvest's.

At least I haven't been called an alcoholic drug addict for liking mushrooms. Now I'm simply trying to poison you all. LOL Perhaps your preaching paid off.

Last edited by waterninja; 05-18-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 PM

No matter what kinda mushrooms you eat I pretty sure none of us get out of this thing alive...the fresh air and exercise probly cancel out the toxins and if you been eating them for 50 bloody years just carry on. People will learn on their own about what you can eat. Just don't eat too many and see how your body reacts and buy a book and pick em fresh like grandma and grandpa did. In science class our teachers let us pass around a hand full of mercury to play with and most of us made it.!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
In days gone by, we have all likely done foolish things that are harmful. Knowing what is known about the toxins present in many verpa, and the potential to stay in one's system for extended periods of time, I can't see how eating them is wise. Do they taste great? Sure. Playing with mercury was fun when you were a kid, but how many would do it now? Best to be picky ad wait for the real thing.
Thanks Nanny. I think it would be foolish to give up on one of the great pleasure's of life, which is enjoying a great meal. You might want to wait till your next lifetime to make sure that steak, fish, chicken, on and on, is going to cause you grief in the years to come, but that doesn't sound like a way to live. Life is full of danger, and who knows whats around the corner. Put down that granola, and live a little. Who knows, the off-gasses of that lounger your sitting in, typing all your words of wisdom might be paralysing you right now.
C'mon, go outside tomorrow and pick a mushroom. You don't have to eat it, but just getting out will do you a world of good.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 PM

I guess the paralysis is only partial. No one can argue that it affects his understanding of hunting regulations, but his extremities are still working.

I'd suggest cutting down on the verpas.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sns2; 05-18-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

It just occurred to me what a lefty turn this thread has taken.
What a shame. Best year for shrooms this century and maybe last, and the haters and trolls are trying to spoil it. Pitiful.
To you shroomer's out there, I wish you the best of luck and clear skies while in the bush.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess the paralysis is only partial. No one can argue that it affects his understanding of hunting regulations, but his extremities are still working.

I'd suggest cutting down on the verpas.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
You guess? I bet you do. Please troll somewhere else. Just how much mercury did you inhale as a child? Now your saying it's against the regs to pick mushrooms? You are paralyising me with laughter. Do I need a Morel tag?
Tomorrow when I'm in the field, if I see a piece of dead fungas hanging off a tree that looks like it died of mercury poisoning, I'll take a pic of it and name it the "True SNS". Will that make you feel better?
What does any of your ranting have to do with this mushroom thread?

Last edited by waterninja; 05-18-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Banned

Just for the heck of it I just googled what the differences are between the True Morel, and the False Morel. Amassing! An awfull lot of research, which pretty well says that no one really knows. I did see the word Rocket Fuel, which explains one post on this thread. Funny that as an example of a True Morel they show a pic of a Verpa. They also mention that "people" and "ethnic groups" say that false morel's are good to eat, (like I have) but that might not be true. Then they show pics of mushrooms that don't even resemble the Verpa's in AB. And you wonder why there is so much confusion?
My final take on all of this is, if your not 100% sure, then don't eat it unless you buy it at a grocery store. Leave the exotic shrooms to those who think they know what they are doing.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 PM

Does one of these ethnic groups call them "conditionally edible" and advice boiling them before frying? I don't pick morels, but I think people still boil them first back home, even the good ones.
Wasn't considered a price mushroom in part of Russia I came from, but with all the talk about them I will try to find the ones with the hollow leg fully attached and see for myself
Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 PM

Waterninja... if you wait a week or two for the morels you might miss them. You mention your older relatives saying this is the best year in many. I've seen better recent years. Even 3 years ago had more.

The verpas are mostly done now anyways. Better off focusing on the morels...Today and 2 hours. No verpas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mush 004.jpg (69.6 KB, 91 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 05-18-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 AM

2 hours later...split and drying. little ones dried whole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may 18 2017 morel pick.jpg (78.1 KB, 75 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Just for the heck of it I just googled what the differences are between the True Morel, and the False Morel. Amassing! An awfull lot of research, which pretty well says that no one really knows. I did see the word Rocket Fuel, which explains one post on this thread. Funny that as an example of a True Morel they show a pic of a Verpa. They also mention that "people" and "ethnic groups" say that false morel's are good to eat, (like I have) but that might not be true. Then they show pics of mushrooms that don't even resemble the Verpa's in AB. And you wonder why there is so much confusion?
My final take on all of this is, if your not 100% sure, then don't eat it unless you buy it at a grocery store. Leave the exotic shrooms to those who think they know what they are doing.
Elmer,

At least a half dozen people here have tried to get you to realize that your advice on mushroom identification is very poor, and dangerous to anyone that might actually listen to you. Go ahead and eat whatever you want, even show us what you ate, just stop giving advice on what is safe or not.
Again, You are putting people at risk with this bad information!

In short, when you called out for giving wrong information, take it like a man and accept you are wrong. Other people's welfare are at stake.

Contrary to your opinion, there ARE poisonous "False" morels in Alberta. They are called gyromitra esculenta.
These could kill a person, and will definitely make them very sick.

What you picked the other day are often called Half Free Morels or Verpas, they are versa bohemica. These contain monomethylhydrazine, a key component of rocket fuel. Every year people get sick just cooking these mushrooms. The hydrazines are released into the air and breathed in. Cooking or drying these mushrooms releases the toxins, making them safe to eat, but caution must be used when preparing them. As others have noted, perhaps this explains things.

True Morels, Morchella esculenta, do not contain monomethylhydrazine, but should still be cooked before eating, as is true for all wild mushrooms.

Your comments regarding "experts" and the accumulated knowledge of mushrooms highlights yet again your ignorance of the topic. Insulting thousands of mycologists does not cover of your own shortcomings.

-----

I made this post with the intention to clear up some of Waterninja's inaccurate information, and to hopefully get a point across. I really hope that Elmer will learn to stop arguing when he is called out for making a mistake or giving wrong information, and learns to stop making these mistakes, for the sake of other's well being and enjoyment.

I hope everyone, including Waterninja has a fulfilling mushroom hunting season, resulting in an expansion of learning and love for nature.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Elmer,

At least a half dozen people here have tried to get you to realize that your advice on mushroom identification is very poor, and dangerous to anyone that might actually listen to you. Go ahead and eat whatever you want, even show us what you ate, just stop giving advice on what is safe or not.
Again, You are putting people at risk with this bad information!

In short, when you called out for giving wrong information, take it like a man and accept you are wrong. Other people's welfare are at stake.

Contrary to your opinion, there ARE poisonous "False" morels in Alberta. They are called gyromitra esculenta.
These could kill a person, and will definitely make them very sick.

What you picked the other day are often called Half Free Morels or Verpas, they are versa bohemica. These contain monomethylhydrazine, a key component of rocket fuel. Every year people get sick just cooking these mushrooms. The hydrazines are released into the air and breathed in. Cooking or drying these mushrooms releases the toxins, making them safe to eat, but caution must be used when preparing them. As others have noted, perhaps this explains things.

True Morels, Morchella esculenta, do not contain monomethylhydrazine, but should still be cooked before eating, as is true for all wild mushrooms.

Your comments regarding "experts" and the accumulated knowledge of mushrooms highlights yet again your ignorance of the topic. Insulting thousands of mycologists does not cover of your own shortcomings.

-----

I made this post with the intention to clear up some of Waterninja's inaccurate information, and to hopefully get a point across. I really hope that Elmer will learn to stop arguing when he is called out for making a mistake or giving wrong information, and learns to stop making these mistakes, for the sake of other's well being and enjoyment.

I hope everyone, including Waterninja has a fulfilling mushroom hunting season, resulting in an expansion of learning and love for nature.
Thanks for taking the time and using google to get one little fact about about Morels and then post it here. now your an expert also. I insulted no one by saying even the the "experts" don't know all there is to know about mushrooms. You are simply making yourself look petty by pretending to save all the poor members that I am supposed to be posoining.
Like I have been saying constantly, I and countless others have been enjoying Verpas for a very long time. I have also said if you are not 100% sure of the mushrooms you are picking, and how to prepare them for the table, stick to ones bought in the store. Why you say this is dangerous advise is beyond me.
Hopefully you will get a chance to get out in the field one day with mentor to show you what to look for, and how to prepare them properly. Preparing Morel's and Verps are a subject for another thread. Good luck. Try not to fall in any holes.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Bucks are does.

Does are bucks.

Tags are interchangeable.

Verpas are morels.

Ingesting rocket fuel is safe if done correctly.

Warning people is bad.

Folks, we have officially entered the Twilight Zone...
Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Waterninja... if you wait a week or two for the morels you might miss them. You mention your older relatives saying this is the best year in many. I've seen better recent years. Even 3 years ago had more.

The verpas are mostly done now anyways. Better off focusing on the morels...Today and 2 hours. No verpas.
Very good haul Red. Where I am used to picking the true morel's usually start flowering a week or so later then the verpa's. It's always been that way in the past. Haven't been very many good years lately though.
Like hunting and fishing else I guess. Some area's/lakes seem to produce better then others.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Good post Walking Buffalo. Thanks for taking the time to point out the dangers.

I will be looking for real morels with a rifle on my back and a bear tag in my pocket this weekend.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bucks are does.

Does are bucks.

Tags are interchangeable.

Verpas are morels.

Ingesting rocket fuel is safe if done correctly.

Warning people is bad.

Folks, we have officially entered the Twilight Zone...
Is that the Mercury talking?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Banned

It's a real pity that this thread has become "poisoned" by some members who want to bash both mushrooms and myself. I'm used to some of the ussual suspects that take every oppurtunity to slag other members, but I hope it doesen't stop other members that want to get out in the bush and do some picking of their own. It can be a very pleasent way to spend some time outdoors.
The verpas that were in Lefty's picture are very distinctive looking and the morels look the same, though generally darker and larger. Not much chance of mistaking them for others, esp. since not many other shrooms growing right now. I recommend you look on north facing hillsides/slopes and the valley below in treed areas. near a slough is ideal.
If you do get some, post some pics to make sure of what you got. I, and other members will be happy to tell you how to prepare them for the table or storage. One important tip is never rinse them off in water when you get them home, thinking you'll get to them later. You'll lose your batch
Don't let the gloom and doomers sitting at their computers spoil a great oppurtunity to get out in the field for awhile. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Thanks for the note and the picture of the true morels. Appreciate that, as a rookie looking for the real deal I can see the differences I have read and heard about.

LC
Old 05-19-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the note and the picture of the true morels. Appreciate that, as a rookie looking for the real deal I can see the differences I have read and heard about.

LC

I'm pretty new to picking fungi, so the thing I like about morels is they are reasonably easy to identify and separate from the undesirable ones such as verpas.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Is that the Mercury talking?

I can never tell if your for real or just playing with us.....

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM

Here is a couple pictures that helped me in determining what is most desirable to pick. Once you get an eye for it, it's not to bad to make a sound decision.

LC
Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Here is a couple pictures that helped me in determining what is most desirable to pick. Once you get an eye for it, it's not to bad to make a sound decision.

LC
Excellent pic. Lefty. Hoping to find a lot of the ones on the left today, but will be just as happy to pick the ones on the right.
Hope everyone has a safe long weekend and get to enjoy some outdoors activities.

Last edited by waterninja; 05-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.