Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Default Marten box bargain

I really like the plastic marten boxes but they're not cheap. I was in Home Hardware and saw these mini composting buckets for sale for $5. They looked to me like they could be adapted to a marten box so I bought some.

The original design had a top on it with a vent covered by foam. I cut a hole in the back of the box so I could put bait in easier, then cut a slit in the back so I could use the "top" as the new back. Seems to work good. As a bonus I'll put lure on the foam vent.

You might want to see if HH has any in your local town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box compost.jpg (156.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Box compost back.jpg (46.9 KB, 227 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Good find. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Have you used them inthe winter yet Brian? I tried a different pail but once they got cold and the plastic brittle when the trap fired the pail broke apart. These might be a better quality pail
Old 04-23-2017, 10:38 AM

are you using 120;s Brian? would 160's work?

Thanks TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 PM

The plastic feels thick enough to withstand the cold. I only tried them with the 120's
Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Here is what i did with some free corregated plastic. Election signs that are tossed are perfect size as well.
I made 50 of these and have had them out for 2 years now

My go too now that are cheap and work real well are these next ones. It has taken me a bit to perfect them. Not shown here but I put a screw through the bottom and through a piece of wood towards the back of the box. This way i can stick bait on it as the plastic is slippery when at a slant on a leaning tree set. One roofer nail in the front of the box to nail it to a tree and one longer nail at the back into a tree and it is good to go.
I get them here https://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php and are the TP 812 model and are $1.30 US. Shipping is a bit but i grab them when I am down visiting the inlaws when in Southern AB and take a 20 min drive into Montana to pick them up. Usually I don't get charged duty and gst. Depends on the day and who I talk with at the border. I have used them now for 2 seasons. I have had a couple knocked off the trees by bears but the other critters don't bother them much. I can carry as many as I need on my skidoo for all my sets if needs be and they are lightweight. You have to cut the trap slots fairly wide. The trap barely fits inside so its the trap jaws that actually keep it in the box. They are my favorite. I plan on bringing home a couple hundred this summer again for a few people.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Nube I've got corplast boxes out that have lasted over a decade. That stuff is tough. I made mine to fold flat and just popped a mesh screen on the back to give them shape once out in the field. I could carry 40-50 boxes easily.

I used flower pots for a while but found the plastic too cheap. I had some break apart in a bitter cold spell. Maybe those are a heavier plastic. The price is right.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM

I also made a hybrid box with corplast sides and wood base. Again easily assembled in the field with a few roofing nails to tack corplast to base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marten Boxes group.JPG (183.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Marten corplast box.jpg (29.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Ya the plastic on my tree pots is a tad brittle in cold and is why I learned how to cut them now so the springs really isn't what holds the trap in. The trap is tight enough without the springs touching in the slots. My main issue I had was the plastic was slippery with the bait in the box and on slanted trees the bait would slip out at times and set the trap off. I fixed that with a small block of wood inside and drilled a big nail through the bottom and through the wood so it is a spike to hold the bait on. Other than that I have no complaints for the price.

I really like the corregated plastic and the trap sits nicely on my little wood shelf I made that holds it all together. I cut the corners of the end and folded it over and again used a small block of wood to drill at the bak flaps to hold it all together so no screen is needed. They work real well and at election time the signs are perfect size. If you get a hold of the right people you can collect them after the elections are over.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Have been using the old style plastic rural mailboxes for more than a dozen years and they are as new... Even when the bears mouth them they are still usable...got them from a friend when they were updating to the community boxes...Price was right too.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 PM

I looked into getting them from the USA Sourdough and they cost a fair bit. I don't know of any dealers in Canada that has them for a decent price. They are pretty good but I don't think Belisle 120's fit the small box and you have to get the medium sized to work with those traps. I could be wrong though.
I really like my wood boxes but the critters like to chew them up pretty good too and they won't last very long.