Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM

He must of been in a good mood that week. I have a friend and myself who have spent thousands of dollars there over the years. He keeps upping his prices and charges whatever he feel like that day. Last time my buddy was up he charged the **** out of him and his wife.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So some say he rips you off and some say it's all good...those who were charged too much other than the launch use what are the prices involved?
From the pics the place looks nice though.
Guest Comments
"We had a great weekend at Winefred Lodge....the fish were biting, the weather was perfect. My daughter and I caught some nice Pike, Walleye and Whitefish over the 3 days. Carol and the staff were awesome giving us amateur fishers great tips. Thanks to all the staff .... we highly recommend this spot and will be back again.
(Bill & Melanie Dearden (May 26, 2014)

"Great trophy fishing, excellent accommodations, delicious cuisine and a staff that makes you feel like part of the family. What more could you want?"
(Patrick Walsh, Editor-in-Chief and Brand Manager with Outdoor Canada Magazine)

"What a place to spend time with family and friends, where the food is great and the fish aplenty!"
(Stefanie Fenson, Edmonton, Alberta)

"Winefred Lake is Alberta’s best kept secret with some of the best walleye and pike fishing I’ve encountered."
(Brad Fenson; Freelance Writer/Photographer, Edmonton, Alberta)

''Alberta's best fishing experience, especially for kids''!
(Graham Hicks; The Edmonton Sun)

"Outstanding food and Awesome Hospitality as always! Oh, ... Great Fishing too!"
(Roxie Malone; 630 CHED Radio)

"To a Great group of people, we think you're Great! Fabulous fishing and hospitality!"
(Jim Hoey; "The Dimestore Fisherman'')

"This is the most wonderful place on earth! The people here help make it so!"
(Barry & Elaine Christensen; Shelly, Idaho)

"Amazing hospitality, food, fishing ..."
(Marli & Rick Davis; Kalispell, Montana)

"Amazing staff and GREAT fishing!"
(Shawn & Kim Peloquin; Calgary, Alberta)

"Super staff, Wonderful Hospitality and GREAT fishing!"
(Don Wilson; Travel Alberta)

''Great Lodge, Great People, Great Fishing Experience!''
(Don Lamont, The Complete Angler Television Series, Winnipeg, Manitoba)

One of the most difficult questions I have to answer is “where would you recommend I go fishing” (Angelo Viola,“Fish’n Canada”). I take it very seriously. Fortunately I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to have made many trips over the past 30 years in pursuit of the ultimate “Fish’n Canada” adventure. ….Over 600!
I’ll be honest though most of them are but a mere blur in my memory bank….in fact there are only a handful that are as clear and crisp as the day I experienced them, one of those is Winefred Lake Lodge, here’s why, I use 5 criteria to grade a lodge;

1: The Fishing experience 2: Accommodations and amenities 3: Quality of Food
4: Atmosphere and hospitality 5: Personality of manager/host.

Winefred Lake Lodge scored ''perfect'' in each category.

Hats off to Carol and the rest of the team at Winefred Lake Lodge for creating a little piece of fishing heaven in Northern Alberta. Thanks guys!
(Angelo Viola,“Fish’n Canada”)

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 05-15-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So some say he rips you off and some say it's all good...those who were charged too much other than the launch use what are the prices involved?
From the pics the place looks nice though.
Guest Comments
"We had a great weekend at Winefred Lodge....the fish were biting, the weather was perfect. My daughter and I caught some nice Pike, Walleye and Whitefish over the 3 days. Carol and the staff were awesome giving us amateur fishers great tips. Thanks to all the staff .... we highly recommend this spot and will be back again.
(Bill & Melanie Dearden (May 26, 2014)

"Great trophy fishing, excellent accommodations, delicious cuisine and a staff that makes you feel like part of the family. What more could you want?"
(Patrick Walsh, Editor-in-Chief and Brand Manager with Outdoor Canada Magazine)

"What a place to spend time with family and friends, where the food is great and the fish aplenty!"
(Stefanie Fenson, Edmonton, Alberta)

"Winefred Lake is Alberta’s best kept secret with some of the best walleye and pike fishing I’ve encountered."
(Brad Fenson; Freelance Writer/Photographer, Edmonton, Alberta)

''Alberta's best fishing experience, especially for kids''!
(Graham Hicks; The Edmonton Sun)

"Outstanding food and Awesome Hospitality as always! Oh, ... Great Fishing too!"
(Roxie Malone; 630 CHED Radio)

"To a Great group of people, we think you're Great! Fabulous fishing and hospitality!"
(Jim Hoey; "The Dimestore Fisherman'')

"This is the most wonderful place on earth! The people here help make it so!"
(Barry & Elaine Christensen; Shelly, Idaho)

"Amazing hospitality, food, fishing ..."
(Marli & Rick Davis; Kalispell, Montana)

"Amazing staff and GREAT fishing!"
(Shawn & Kim Peloquin; Calgary, Alberta)

"Super staff, Wonderful Hospitality and GREAT fishing!"
(Don Wilson; Travel Alberta)

''Great Lodge, Great People, Great Fishing Experience!''
(Don Lamont, The Complete Angler Television Series, Winnipeg, Manitoba)

One of the most difficult questions I have to answer is “where would you recommend I go fishing” (Angelo Viola,“Fish’n Canada”). I take it very seriously. Fortunately I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to have made many trips over the past 30 years in pursuit of the ultimate “Fish’n Canada” adventure. ….Over 600!
I’ll be honest though most of them are but a mere blur in my memory bank….in fact there are only a handful that are as clear and crisp as the day I experienced them, one of those is Winefred Lake Lodge, here’s why, I use 5 criteria to grade a lodge;

1: The Fishing experience 2: Accommodations and amenities 3: Quality of Food
4: Atmosphere and hospitality 5: Personality of manager/host.

Winefred Lake Lodge scored ''perfect'' in each category.

Hats off to Carol and the rest of the team at Winefred Lake Lodge for creating a little piece of fishing heaven in Northern Alberta. Thanks guys!
(Angelo Viola,“Fish’n Canada”)
THE LODGE is not the same place as PAULS
Old 05-15-2017, 12:35 PM

Yip very different experience then at Pauls that's for sure. A great one. At Pauls he helps himself to your beer and food and micro manages you while your on shore there. Not to mention if someone fires up a joint he reads you the riot act that someone is going to come shut his whole place down. Looser
Old 05-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
THE LODGE is not the same place as PAULS
Winefred Lake Wilderness Camp
Accommodation is in one of 5 Outfitter-style, wall units. Units are complete with bunks or wood
cots, wood stove, picnic tables and pit toilets. Accessible only by boat. Reserve rental boats at time of booking. A launch fee applies to all personal watercraft/boats including patrons of the tent camp. Bring your own foam mattress & bedding.

This was all under the lodge, one part they have too, so this Paul, what part does he play in this?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Obviously these are two different camps Paul owns the camp on one side of the lake Winifred lake lodges is on the other side people are talking about two different camps here

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Obviously these are two different camps Paul owns the camp on one side of the lake Winifred lake lodges is on the other side people are talking about two different camps here

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks, was thinking it was all one for some reason, if this Paul is such a bad guy I would go together lodge area then at least it might be more hospitable.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM

Paul's camp is Winifred Lake Outfitters. They have their own website.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Anyone heading Pauls way ask exactly what his rates are. For the night, boat launching, parking fees, boat rental etc. Curious to see how much higher they will be. Cheers
Old 05-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Safety D I get this strange feeling that you don't really like Paul much lol. I've only dealt with him a couple times and he's a bit rough around the edges for sure but i'm used to that sort and he's never really bothered me. His wife is a very nice lady and she deals with most of the bookings etc.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Yip Sherry is amazing. he's a *****. pretty simple, don't know how she puts up with him and I've seen him treat her pretty ****ty too. She is usually fair with the pricing and I've personally seen him tell her to charge them more.....
Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Yip Sherry is amazing. he's a *****. pretty simple, don't know how she puts up with him and I've seen him treat her pretty ****ty too. She is usually fair with the pricing and I've personally seen him tell her to charge them more.....
Safety D ....you met this fella once and had a run in? Or you repeatedly went back for a second or a third round...if so then the problem might be you as in foolish to be repeatedly abused, if you had a hard time with him only once then maybe he had a bad day...just saying.

Opposites attract too

Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM

Ahhh I see, small sacrifice for a great time...enough said.
Must be worth it, trophy pike 40" plus?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Yep his wife is a gem & always pleasant and friendly. What a kick in the balls to meet Paul tho. Don't know what she see in that clown...
Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 PM

And the worst is he treats her like GARBAGE !!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Paul's a *****. I'd never spend another dime on him.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 AM

I think for the most part most things I've said on this thread have been accurate. Good Luck at Winefred and please keep us updated on Winefred Outfitters. The owners always go on a long vacation each year. Please let us know when that is so we can all go there when he is not around. Also what the prices are. Watch he will charge you for the cabins. Lets say 6 guys pay 500 a night for a cabin then he will want boat launch money and parking for each vehicle there, then docking fee. Let us all know here please...
Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM

How about any ice updates? I spoke to someone Monday and it was still iced over. Another thread has said Slave Lake is virtually ice free which is amazing considering its size. Lac La Biche is apparently ice free too which is promising. Supposed to head up this weekend and im anxious about the ice and if its gtg or not.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 AM

Hey All,
Was talking with Paul today, who flew over the lake today in a helicopter. I asked him about the ice conditions on the lake, and he said that the north east half of the lake was thawed and open. The south side is covered with rotten ice, and will need a good wind to blow the ice away, along with a few more hot days!

I also wanted to mention that Paul has been on Winefred lake for more than 30 years. Before paul developed his outfitting camp, it was little more than just a plain old little trappers cabin with a quad trail in. A far cry from what it is today!
Paul has solely built and maintained the l.o.c. ( licence of occupation ) road into his camp, and continues to do so at his own considerable expense. He also maintains the road out of his camp, for most of the sterner road length, also on his on dime, and time. If it was not for Paul being there all that time for over 30 years developing his business, nobody would be going to Winefred Lake outfitters to enjoy to what it has become today, as it certainly would not have been built.

I for one, don't mind paying his reasonable and affordable prices. Paul through his much sweat, blood, and mud has already, and continues to do all of the hard work. All one has to do is arrive, go fishing and enjoy the fruits of Paul's labor.

Paul charges $80.00 per night, per person and includes bed sheets, pillows (bring your own sleeping bags), dishes, bbq and propane, cooking utensils, free showers ( with running hot potable water, in shower house), out house, free firewood, use of the fire-pit.

$ 40.00 boat launch fee (if bringing own boat), one time fee, even of staying for more than one day.

$ 25.00 per day parking (if bringing own boat) If staying more than one day.
this is for truck and boat trailer.

Boat rentals, 16' lund, new 20 hp 4 stroke Honda $60.00 / HR / $385.00 day
includes all fuel, life jackets, paddles, fish net, etc. max 3 people per boat.

Boat rentals, 18' lund, 50 hp 4 stroke Honda $85.00 / HR / $450.00 day
includes all fuel, life jackets, paddles, fish net, etc. max 4 people per boat.

Must have a valid pleasure pleasure craft operators card, no alcohol or drugs while renting Paul's boats, and must sign a waiver before being allowed to rent, responsible for own actions.

Also worth mentioning, no prop maintenance fee of 15.00 day, unlike Winefred lake Lodge. Also no extra charge for fuel if more than 1 tank is used for daily rate, unlike Winefred Lake Lodge that charges boat gas on top of the rental!

I have brought my own boat before to Winefred Lake Lodge and stayed in the cabins, and been charged a daily boat rental, and launch fee!
Paul will not charge you a boat rental if you bring your own and rent the cabins, unlike the other place!

Paul also does charge you for pressure washing your boat prior to launching to help stop the invasive spread of aquatic disease into the lake, he cares that much about the lake!

Paul's is also 70 kilometers shorter round trip than the other place, and as others have mentioned, and I can attest, a much better, smoother road! If it rains, and you have a boat in tow on the road to Winefred lake lodge, it can be treacherous! Your truck and boat will thank you for taking Pauls road!

I encourage all outdoorsman to go to Paul and Sheri's, and enjoy the fishing and friendly hospitality, they have a top notch place there, and we look forward to going there every year! If you value your hard earned money as much as I do, I think if you compare what the other place offers, and prices, I think you will see that you are getting good value for your dollar at paul's. I hope this helps to answer some questions and, dispel some of the rumors and negativity, Paul and Sheri are good people !

Will update on the fishing, going there for june 1st! Only 2 more weeks!

Last edited by KUDUHNTR; 05-18-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Hey All,

Just off the phone with Paul tonight, the ice is off the lake now! Paul is grading and fixing up his road right now as we speak, and will be ready for tomorrow morning, and open for fishing!

The level of the lake water has also come up about a foot and a half! The Sand river, along with all the creeks flowing into the lake are high, and flowing into the lake, great news!

Paul also said that with the water level being up this year, it is no problem to launching a 20'-25' boat at his launch, as its nice and deep!

If anyone is fishing there tomorrow, keep us posted on the fishing!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 PM

I have been up to Paul's 3 or 4 times. He has always treated our groups with respect. He and Sherri seem to work very hard to keep the place neat and clean. And Sherri is very gracious. The launch is excellent and road access very good even when its wet out.

Every time that I have been up there, the fishing has been very good. It is a big lake, so you have to be mindful of the wind and some of the shallow areas.

They must be doing something right, its tough to rent a cabin there. Not too many weekends are available.

I would think that it is very expensive to run a remote camp like Paul's, hence the charges.

As far as Safety D's comments go, I wouldn't be too happy with someone smoking dope in my back yard either. It seems pretty cowardly to anonymously bad mouth a hard working business owner. If you don't like the place then move on. Seems like you have an axe to grind.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:09 AM

When someone is all done with thier trip can they post some pic's of the camp, area etc seems reasonable.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Email

Cant be much of a business man ,emailed him about 3 weeks ago no reply yet?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Default the bugs

How bad are the bugs there by the 3rd weekend in June?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
How bad are the bugs there by the 3rd weekend in June?
It's in the bush and it's been a wet spring,,, bugs will likely have a good year as will the sellers of Deep Woods OFF!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
This will be our fourth season at Pauls, he has treated us decent and fair. The facilities, shower house, out houses are top notch. the cabins are cozy and clean, etc. The fish cleaning station is great also. I have been to Winefred lake Lodge in the past, but have chose not to go back due to the service and attitude of the new owners. Paul maintains his own road, and I can attest that it is much better than the road to the Winefred lake lodge for sure, and many kms shorter. They should hold the Plamondon mud bogs on the road to Winefred lake lodge! Although I take my own boat, Paul has fairly new 16' lund boats, motors, etc. The $80.00 per night per person, which I think is fair, considering all the dishes, propane, bedding, and power, etc is included. And unlike Winefred Lake lodge, we were able to use and enjoy the fire-pit at Pauls! I will be going June 1st this year, hope all the ice is gone by then! I am fairly certain that the road maintenance into Paul's is on his dime and time. Anyways, I think it's a great place, and paul and Sheri have treated us fair, and are great hosts, and we will continue to go back there in the future. Will give an update on the fishing when we get back!
Agree i found Paul a great guy knows his chit.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Banned

Go in there.. Camp in the bush.. and smash more fish and beat all the lodge renters to the spots with their slow ass lodge boats. Winefred is quite the fishery. Don't support any of the lodges. Can do it yourself for far cheaper and out fish anyone that rents.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Go in there.. Camp in the bush.. and smash more fish and beat all the lodge renters to the spots with their slow ass lodge boats. Winefred is quite the fishery. Don't support any of the lodges. Can do it yourself for far cheaper and out fish anyone that rents.
We tried that last March and ended up with 2 flat tires. Ran over some nails going into a lease site next to the lake.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
We tried that last March and ended up with 2 flat tires. Ran over some nails going into a lease site next to the lake.
Ya its sad what the Lodge owners do to ensure people don't "easily" access "their" lake.. From ruining the boat launch so then Grist Lodge fixes it.. to covering the boat launch with old lumber to not allow people to turn around.. SAD SAD SAD. And this is all Winefred Lake Lodge, I can't speak for the other guy.

Remember peeps. Karma is a bitch..
Old 05-26-2017, 02:32 PM

The great news is that there is a 90 site campground scheduled to be built in the next few years on winefred. That way everyone can have cheap access to fish the lake whenever they want and the quality of the fishery will significantly decline to be comparable to all the ther easy to access lakes in NB1-NB4. Hooray.